Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 5540
Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan
Hi! I've only had this printer for not even 6 months. Everything was great! Love the junk program! And quality of prints was awesome. Then one day I tried to copy and it won't let me. I even tried to scan and it wouldn't work. It prints from the computer/wirelessly fine. Please help. already tried hard reset.

TIA
8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended
Ink not junk*****
HP Recommended

Hi @Ddecker93,

Thanks for reaching out to the HP Support Forums for a solution to your copy and scan issues.

I understand that you have been using an HP ENVY 5540 All-in-One Printer with a Mac OS X 10.11 El Capitan computer and it prints fine, but then you found that the printer was unable to copy or scan. I would like to help with that.

Copting and scanning essencially use the same parts of the printer. If you could copy but not scan, that might suggest a software issue. Copying does not use software, so not being able to copy might indicate an issue with the printer hardware.

Are you seeing any error messages on the printer when trying to do a copy?

You mentioned that you have already done the hard reset. Is the printer being plugged directly into a wall socket. Sometimes surge protectors or power strips can fail to deliver the needed power to the scan bulb.

It might help to make sure the printer's firmware is up to date. If unsure how to update firmware this support document can help - Updating the Printer Firmware.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

In fact, if this helps you to reach a solution please click the "Accept as Solution", and the "thumbs up" buttons down below in this message. 🙂

Thanks!

Please click “Accept as Solution ” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom to say “Thanks” for helping.

rb011
I work on behalf of HP

HP Recommended

I have tried all of the user manual fixes and forum posted fixes for correcting a hp envy copying problem.  The printer works, the alignment output looked fine.  When I try to copy, I get this message "The paper size detected by the printer does not match the paper size selected for the print job."  The only two choices are photo and letter size.  I never use the photo size 

HP Recommended

@Coola

Thanks for reaching out to us on HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP ENVY 5540 All-in-One Printer. I read that the printer does not scan and copy. You have tried all the steps mentioned in the earlier forums posts. I appreciate the steps you have performed and have certainly done a good job. You've done a remarkable job performing the steps. 

To provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

• Did you perform a firmware update on the printer?
  • What operating system are you using?

If the firmware update on the printer has been performed and the issue persists then I suggest you to reset the printer. This reset will restore the printer to its original factory condition. If the printer is connected to the network then it will get disconnected and you will need to reconfigure it again. I have sent you a private message with the reset steps.

I sincerely hope this fixes the issue. Let me know how it goes. Good luck! 🙂

HP Recommended

The firmware update is done.  I have windows 10.  The scan function works but the copying function does not. 

HP Recommended

@Coola

Thanks for replying.

In your initial post, you mentioned that the scan and copy both do not work. So based on the input I had provided the steps.

Ideally, if scanning works then copy has to work. However, do you get any error message while trying to scan?

Do let me know. This information will help me to find the exact solution. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Scanning did work but copying did not work. After following the directions in you rpost, I can now copy but I cannot connect to the wireless router.  I get to the part where I am trying to connect manually because the auto connect did not work.  Now I am trying to enter the WEP encreption numbers from the router and cannot figure out how to enter them using the confusing number grid.  Also I will not accept my URL #.

HP Recommended

@Coola

Thanks for the reply.

I appreciate your time and effort.

I understand that you are unable to setup wireless connection on the printer.

Click here and refer the document to setup wireless connection.

Let me know if that works.

Cheers.

Sandytechy20
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.