Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

I recently upgraded my Mac OS to Ventura 13.0.1 and I have noticed that HP Easy Scan has been impacted.  Documents scanned and saved in PDF format display as blank documents when they are opened.  The contents of the document display in the HP Easy Scan window when the scan is complete but once the document is saved in PDF format, the contents don't display where the saved file is subsequently opened.  If I opt instead to scan and save a document in JPEG  format I am able to see the document contents when I open the saved file.

Has anyone else experienced a similar problem and, if so, any ideas on a fix?

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

Yes, I've got exactly the same problem, and it started as soon as I upgraded to Ventura. Hopefully someone at HP is monitoring this Forum.

There is a workaround, if you use the Scan section of the HP Smart app (on a Mac) it saves perfectly and you can also compress the PDF on the fly, but to do that means signing into your HP account and that suggests that they're sucking everything into their cloud. And in my case where it's medical documents, that's not desirable.

If they can handle MacOS Ventura in their HP Smart app which was updated 3 weeks ago, surely it's just a few lines of code in Easy Scan to upgrade it, which is 100x easier to use and less intrusive.

THANKS HP. How about it?

HP Recommended

Same issue; scans will save only as blank documents.  Does HP intend to fix this?

HP Recommended

Hi John. In case you haven't logged in for a while, HP have put an updated printer/scanner driver PLUS Version 2.0.0 (220518) of Easy Scan on the Download site, and everything works perfectly again under Ventura 13.0.1. Without the HP update I was still having Easy Scan crash even after the Ventura patch, so I think that you really do need the updates from HP too. 

Link for the download of HP Easy Start (it connects to your printer/scanner and then does the download and install of the new driver and software), is at https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-color-laserjet-pro-m180-m181-multifunction-print... (this is for the M180-M181 series - poke around under Downloads if you have a different model and you'll find yours).

HP Recommended

Hi Randy. Just in case you've missed it, HP have put an updated printer/scanner driver PLUS Version 2.0.0 (220518) of Easy Scan on the Download site, and everything works perfectly again under Ventura 13.0.1. Without the HP update I was still having Easy Scan crash even after the Ventura patch, so I think that you really do need the updates from HP too. 

Link for the download of HP Easy Start (it connects to your printer/scanner and then does the download and install of the new driver and software), is at https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-color-laserjet-pro-m180-m181-multifunction-print... (this is for the M180-M181 series - poke around on the Download site if you have a different model and you'll find yours). Good luck.

HP Recommended

Thanks for this post. I downloaded the new Easy Start version but my iMac won't open it. Get an error message saying, "HP Easy Start app can't be opened because Apple cannot check it for malicious software." That's never happened with earlier updates. Anyone else encounter this and have a workaround?

HP Recommended

I received the same error message when I tried to download it too.

HP Recommended

I too have the "blank scan" issue, and I too downloaded Easy Scan, Easy Start, and Easy Admin.  I too got the same error when trying to run Easy Start.  But, I just kept trying to run it anyway, got the same error the 2nd time.  On the third attempt, I got same error, but then it let me open it anyway.  So I did.  Then I followed the start process, downloading and installing the software that it facilitates (i.e. Essentials and Easy Scan).  But then I get to the screen where it asks you if you are a business or at home etc.  I select the appropriate radio buttons and click "Continue", but then a text box appears below the radio buttons.  IT has red around the top and one side and after clicking "Continue", my cursor is inside that box. There is no prompt for what it wants you to enter.   Of course it wouldn't matter, because whatever you type just causes a "BEEP!" and nothing appears in the box.  Therefore, the process ends there.

I tried to call HP.  They put me on hold for an hour before a recording tells me they couldn't answer the call.  So I called back, same hour wait, same unceremonious hang up.  i tried to use the chat feature. But they never respond there either.

I don't know what's going on there at HP, but this is insane.  THIS NEEDS TO BE FIXED NOW!!!

HP Recommended

Go to "Privacy & Security" settings and you should see a checkbox to authorize the installation from an "unknown" source.

HP Recommended

I've had the same problems, currently running Ventura 13.2, Easy scan would work but then it would be a blank page when saved onto my desktop or documents.  I just downloaded the HP Smart app and can scan with no problems with this.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.