Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Photosmart e-All-in-One Printer - D110a

HI:
I'm hopeful someone can help.  I have a HP Photosmart D110A scanner/printer.  The HP Smart was working fine for both up to about 2 weeks ago. The printer is connected and recognized in the HP Smart to do printing, but the scanner will no longer scan and it will not be recognized. 

I've tried to reinstall the printer, but the same problem persists.  IF I do go into the Printer information, there is a scan section there and it will start to scan, however, from the cover page to select scan as we used to, it will not find or recognize the scanner part.  How is this possible and can it be corrected?  Windows scan/fax will recognize it as well, it's just the HP Smart that seems to not be able to connect.

Any help would be much appreciated! THANK YOU!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @EricM1229,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds frustrating to deal with your HP Photosmart D110A suddenly not being recognized by HP Smart for scanning. Here are several steps you can try to resolve this issue:

Update HP Smart and Printer Drivers:

• Ensure that your HP Smart app is up to date. You can check for updates in the Microsoft Store if you are using Windows.
  • Check for the latest printer drivers on the HP website. Download and install any updates for your model.

Reset HP Smart Software:

• Sometimes, resetting the app can resolve recognition issues. If you’re using Windows, you can go to Settings > Apps > Apps & Features, select HP Smart, and then choose Advanced Options > Reset.

Check Connection Settings:

• Ensure that your printer is properly connected to your computer or network. If it's a wireless connection, verify that both devices are on the same network.
  • Restart your router and printer to refresh the network connection.

Enable Related Services:

• Check Windows services to ensure that the necessary background services for scanning are running. Go to the Services app, and make sure that services like "Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)" are set to start automatically and are running.

Reinstall Printer Software:

• Uninstall and then reinstall the HP printer software. This can help reset any settings that might have been incorrectly configured.
  • When reinstalling, make sure to download the latest software available from the HP website.

Check Windows Scan and Fax Settings:

• Since Windows Scan/Fax recognizes the scanner, it might be useful to check if any specific settings or permissions there could be influencing HP Smart. Ensure all default settings are proper and there are no errors.

Firewall and Antivirus Check:

• Sometimes, firewall or antivirus settings can block certain aspects of printer software from communicating properly. Check your security software settings to make sure it's not interfering with HP Smart.

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor:

• HP offers a tool called HP Print and Scan Doctor, which can diagnose and resolve many common problems with HP printers. You can download it from the HP website and run it to see if it identifies any issues. : https://support.hp.com/in-en/help/printscandoctor

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Hi @EricM1229,

Welcome to HP Support Community.

Thank you for posting your query, I will be glad to help you.

It sounds frustrating to deal with your HP Photosmart D110A suddenly not being recognized by HP Smart for scanning. Here are several steps you can try to resolve this issue:

Update HP Smart and Printer Drivers:

• Ensure that your HP Smart app is up to date. You can check for updates in the Microsoft Store if you are using Windows.
  • Check for the latest printer drivers on the HP website. Download and install any updates for your model.

Reset HP Smart Software:

• Sometimes, resetting the app can resolve recognition issues. If you’re using Windows, you can go to Settings > Apps > Apps & Features, select HP Smart, and then choose Advanced Options > Reset.

Check Connection Settings:

• Ensure that your printer is properly connected to your computer or network. If it's a wireless connection, verify that both devices are on the same network.
  • Restart your router and printer to refresh the network connection.

Enable Related Services:

• Check Windows services to ensure that the necessary background services for scanning are running. Go to the Services app, and make sure that services like "Windows Image Acquisition (WIA)" are set to start automatically and are running.

Reinstall Printer Software:

• Uninstall and then reinstall the HP printer software. This can help reset any settings that might have been incorrectly configured.
  • When reinstalling, make sure to download the latest software available from the HP website.

Check Windows Scan and Fax Settings:

• Since Windows Scan/Fax recognizes the scanner, it might be useful to check if any specific settings or permissions there could be influencing HP Smart. Ensure all default settings are proper and there are no errors.

Firewall and Antivirus Check:

• Sometimes, firewall or antivirus settings can block certain aspects of printer software from communicating properly. Check your security software settings to make sure it's not interfering with HP Smart.

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor:

• HP offers a tool called HP Print and Scan Doctor, which can diagnose and resolve many common problems with HP printers. You can download it from the HP website and run it to see if it identifies any issues. : https://support.hp.com/in-en/help/printscandoctor

I hope this helps.

Take care and have a good day.

Please mark this post as “Accepted Solution” if the issue is resolved and if you feel this reply was helpful click “Yes”.

Rachel571 

HP Support

Rachel571
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

HI Racheal!

THANK YOU for the helpful advice.  I reset the HP Smart software and reinstalled the printer/scanner and it seems to have helped!

Thank you!  It was driving me crazy.

One other quick question, I was trying to reinstall the HP Smart software, but I have not been able to get past downloading it from Microsoft store. Once I downloaded and tried opening, it never opened but kept saying working on it for hours.  I never was able to try and reinstall the software to see if this would work.  Can you possibly shed light on the problem? I was attempting to do this prior to your solutions sent.

Have a great day/weekend and thank you for the help!

Eric

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.