Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4500 Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have downloaded Windows 10 update and then run Print and Scan Doctor. I was able to save the file to the correct location when running Scan Doctor, but when I closed this application the message of 'unable to save the file' still existed

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Please to meet you @PJ68,

I have gathered some information about scanning with Windows 10 for you.

If you cannot scan from HP's software at all I recommend trying these steps;

1. Have you made sure your computer has all of it's windows updates? How can I tell if my computer is up to date?

2. Try restarting the computer.

3. HP provides a free tool called HP Print and Scan Doctor to diagnose and resolve printing and scanning problems. I recommend downloading and running the HP Print and Scan Doctor, if it doesn't fix it automatically let me know what errors or messages you receive.

4. You could also try uninstalling the printer software, then downloading the newest software package.

Try other scanning programs; 

Have you tried just using the New Scanner app in Windows 10? It's the same as the one for Windows 8.

Here are some resources;

Do you know if you are able to scan using Paint?

To Scan from Paint: HP Multifunction Printers - How to Scan: Windows 8 

(It's the same for Windows 10, from what I've been told)

1. Right-click the Start button () in the lower left corner of the screen, click Search, and then type ...
  2. Click Paint in the results.
  3. Click File, and then click From scanner or camera.
  4. Select your printer, click OK, and then click Scan.

If it seems like a permission issue;

You could try the suggestion from Ay_Oh from this post;

Ay_Oh wrote:

Go to the folder where your scanner saves the document/image.

Right click > Properties

Security tab

Select Home User group or your current user from the list of user names, click 'Edit'. Change checkmarks to 'Allow', click 'Apply'.

If you are able to use the HP software, but it just won't save the file properly;

• Click on the HP Printer Assistant icon on your desktop (It will look like your printer, and be labeled to match)
  • In the HP Printer Assistant click on Scan a Document or Photo

original.png

• Choose the shortcut you are selecting on the front panel of the printer (ie Save as PDF)
  • Click on Advanced Settings

29627i375CFC453541F7B9.png

• You can modify your scanner settings, I believe you want to change the settings on the Destination tab.
  • Base File Name: First part of the file name, so in your example "Document-", the scanner will automatically number it after each scan.. eg. Document-0001 will be your first scan, Document-0002, will be the second.
  • Save Location: You can even setup a new folder for the scans ** Change this to a new folder

After you change the settings, try the scan again.

Please let me know if any of these steps resolved your issue, or if there is anything else I can do to help. 

I look forward to hearing from you!

Thanks, 

midnight-anwrs
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution” on the post that solves your issue - it helps others find the solution later.

Don't forget to come back and click the Thumbs Up on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

This did not solve the problem. 

I've seen lots of HP owners complain of this problem.  Try this free OCR software since HP hasn't provided a fix.  http://www.paperfile.net/index.html  (or Google ocr scanning software if the link changes).

HP Recommended

I have tried all of those suggestions, and nothing solved. Then, I figured that it only happens when I set the Resolution to 600 ppi. It works perfectly on the other ones (75, 100,200,300 ppi). I able to save the file everywhere I want; however, when I try to scan with resolution of 600ppi, it notices "HP Scan Application was unable to save the file to the specified location".

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.