Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Hp Smart App
macOS 10.15 Catalina

My HP Smart App won't load suddenly (was fine til today) and I've already tried all the troubleshooting fixes - uninstalling, reinstalling, restarting the laptop, then uninstalling/reinstalling, etc. Still the same - when I click on the app, it starts to spool, then quits and won't load. Right now I can't scan. Frustrating. If anyone can suggest something else to be done, that'd be appreciated. Thanks. 

49 REPLIES 49
HP Recommended

I posted the same issue a couple hours ago before I found your post.  Hopefully we'll get a response at some point.

HP Smart 12.7.0 crashes while opening in Mac OS 10.15.7 

HP Recommended

@SuperSadUser, Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I understand the HP Smart app is not working. Did you download the HP smart app from the App Store?

Update the printer firmware

Click here to download and install the latest printer firmware from your Mac.

Click here to know different methods of updating printer firmware.

Also, check for any software updates on Mac

Click the Apple icon > About This Mac > Software Update and install any available update.

If the HP Smart app server is down, it may not work, kindly try after a couple of hours/days.

You may use the AirPrint driver to print - recommended. Refer to - Printing with Apple AirPrint (Mac)

Alternatively, use the Apple Image Capture app to scan from your Mac

Refer to this document for more info.

You may also try using the HP Easy Scan app from the App Store to scan.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Kumar, thanks, but I've done all that already. And yes, I downloaded the app from the Apple Mac store. So it increasingly seems it may possibly be a coding flaw in the latest app update (coincidentally, the app was working fine until the latest HP app update, and t now it just spools and doesn't do anything - sometimes the adage that if it isn't broke, don't fix, truly applies). 

I'd suggest/ask your app development folks to take another look at that latest upgrade to the app to see if there's a coding problem causing us some time-consuming mischief.

Thanks again - 

HP Recommended

Since no one responded directly to my post regarding this issue (and that I posted a link to in this original question)

HP Smart 12.7.0 crashes while opening in Mac OS 10.15.7 , I'll update here.

I'm using an Officejet 8600.  HP Smart App worked until it upgraded to 12.7.0.  I've tried with the printer wired and wi-fi.

I've deleted the HP Smart App and the HP/Hewlett Packard folders in the library and reinstalled HP Smart - All twice now.  The app still won't open.  Got HP Smart from the Apple App Store.

I'll answer your questions here.

1. I have checked and there aren't any printer firmware updates.

2. Mac is fully updated within Catalina 10.15.7

3. I have been trying to open the HP Smart App daily for over a week and it won't open.

4. I don't need to use AirPrint because printing is fine.  I need HP Smart for scanning.

5. Apple Image Capture works (thanks for the suggestion) but it doesn't do everything that HP Smart does.  i.e. ink levels, etc. and is clunky compared to HP Smart.

6.  I used to use Easy Scan until it no longer worked and I had to switch to HP Smart.  I just installed Easy Scan and it did work on my 2 page test file.  I see it was updated about 5 months ago.  It still doesn't give me the functionality of HP Smart which I would prefer but at least I can get my scanning done now.

For now, I'll keep HP Smart installed so when there is an update, I should automatically get it.  Perhaps it will work then.  FWIW, my Mac won't support Big Sur so my OS will no longer change.

Since I and others are having this issue with the 12.7.0 update, I assume the issue is with the update and not our computers or OS versions.

HP Recommended

@SuperSadUser, @RGW-1

If the app was downloaded from the Mac App Store, follow these steps:

Please remove /Users/Username/Library/Containers/HP Smart/containers.plist and then launch HP Smart from the Applications folder and go through the setup again. 

Let me know how it goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks again, Kumar, but this is really not working. At some point all these attempted fixes become the tail wagging the dog. Please see if your app folks can fix the app that their last upgrade seems to have broken. 

Thanks again,

HP Recommended

@SuperSadUser

There is a latest update released for the HP Smart app with ver 12.7.1

Kindly update the app from App Store. 

You may check the version you have by going to HP Smart for Desktop > About HP Smart for Desktop.

Let me know how it goes.

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Done, but still the same - spools, then nothing (never opens)

HP Recommended

In the Containers folder in the library, there isn't an HP Smart Folder but there was a com.hp.smart folder.  I deleted the container.plist file in this folder and restarted HP Smart (BTW, I already had the 12.7.1 version because I installed it this morning).  The app closes within seconds of double clicking the icon in the application folder.  So no change.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.