Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet 6500 All-in-One-Druckerserie - E709
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Dear community, the HP Solution Center which supports my Office-Jet 6500, does not run any longer on my laptop (WIN 8.1 64Bit). I have downloaded the latest printer-SW, deinstalled everything also using Windows-deinstall and installed the software again, but the Solution Center does not open propperly, I just get a window which shows an "f" and an "i": see screenshot below.

The HP Print-and Scan Doctor tells me that there is an issue with Windows (WIA) Scan and HP Twain Scan, all Doctor-instructions do not help - incl. several restarts.

Any idea?

HP solution center.png

31 REPLIES 31
HP Recommended

Hello @HAP58 ,
Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Maybe that could be the solution.

Regards
Andreas

I'm not an employee of HP, I'm as volunteer here.

Inquiries via private messages (PM) cannot be answered.
HP Recommended

I had the same problem. All I ever used Solution Center for was scanning so here's how I by-passed Solution Center and went directly to the scan function.  

1) I downloaded two applications. System Internals Process Explorer and the HP Print and Scan Doctor tool.

2) I ran the P&SDoctor and at the end of the diagnostics selected the scan test option.

3) I then started Process Explorer as Administrator - You must be Administrator to get the info you need

4) With the "Scanning from... Scan Document button (HP Solution Center) window open, I looked down through the processes running on the computer and found explorer.exe -> HPPSdr.exe -> FILEEX~1.EXE  -> HPDiagnosticCoreUI.exe a process named hpqkygrp.exe

5) I opened that process and on the "Image" tab took a copy of the command line that was used to start that app.

6) Next I created a shortcut on my desktop using this command line.  For the "Start in" directory I copy the Start in directory from the HP Solution Center shortcut.

When I double click my new shortcut I get this screen

wstack_0-1610577617413.png

I can select the scan I want, Change Settings, etc. and it works just like it did before the Flash error showed up.

BTW my command line reads: "C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\Digital Imaging\bin\hpqkygrp.exe" -n"#Hewlett-Packard#HP Officejet 7300 series#1610495093" -aSCAN -fSCAN_DOCUMENT

Where -n is the the SoftwareCUEContextID of the printer. (This value is found in the registry under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Print\Printers\{Your Printer Name}\PrinterDriverData)

-a is the action  The only option I am interested in is SCAN although there appears to be others options like INIT and COPY 

-f is the action option (function) The options are SCAN_DOCUMENT, SCAN_PICTURE, SCAN_TMA

The application does not appear to function unless all three parameters are specified.

HP Recommended

Found that I can double click this file, hpiscnapp.exe, in folder C:\Program Files (x86)\Hp\Digital Imaging\bin and it opens 'HP Scanning' program.

I can get it to scan but can't work out how to scan multiple documents to one file.

Edit: I also found that Wstack's solution worked for me too and gives the ability to scan multiple documents to one file. Thanks Wstack.

To see my ink cartridge levels and be able to perform Align and Clean Printheads and also print diagnostic pages then use ‘HP Print and Scan Doctor’. To do this select ‘Start’ and then from the next screen your printer should be displayed and so select ‘Next’ and the program communicates with your printer. From the menu option 'Printer' select ‘Printer Services’ or ‘Supply Levels’ to see estimated ink levels.

HP Recommended

WStack, you're a genius!  Thank you for providing a workable solution when all the other suggestions I have followed didn't work.

HP Recommended

Please visit forum topic 'HP Solution Center Not Working (probably flash issue)' 

@Jim412 came with the steps needed and now I have got the Solution Center successfully running on W10 (64-bit version 20H2). See message n. 34 in the topic (https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Printer-Setup-Software-Drivers/HP-Solution-Center-Not-Working-probably...

Good luck to everyone in following the road to success!

HP Recommended

You are welcome. Like you I spent the better part of a day trying all these other solutions. I deleted and reinstalled everything. Completely eradicated Flash Player from my system, etc. The only thing that changed was the error message I got when starting solution center. So I spent the next day coming up with this work around. Please mark your issue resolved, it will help others find this solution.

HP Recommended

Too difficult for me, no chance.

HP Recommended

Hi Wstack, thanks a lot for your reply, the solution sounds very tricky, but will try on one of the next days and will let you know what the result will be, kind regards HAP58

HP Recommended

Excellent ! Tyrael87's tip works perfectly: SET THE SYSTEM CLOCK TO BEFORE JANUARY 12, 2021.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.