Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

thanks for the tip on the "Hide Updates" article. Unfortunately, whether the offending update is installed or uninstalled, it does not appear in the list of updates which can be hidden. What am I doing wrong? Thanks.

HP Recommended

I finally resolved my owm problem last night... not sure which of these steps (or all) were necessary, but the combination seemed to work:

1. Go to REGEDIT and find (cntrl+F) "SolutionCenter".   Right click and delete the only line that shows Solution Center. Then exit and reboot.

2. Disable anti-virus and then execute the following (which you can find on the Internet):

AIO_CDB_NonNet_Full_Win_WW_140_408-4.exe

I assume the "AIO" part stands for "All in One" since we are looking for the global print/scan/copy capabilility. 

3.  The above installation may fail and put a Windows 8 trouble shooter on your desktop.  Reboot if it fails.  After the reboot, give the PC a bit of time to see if the installation continues.   I maybe should have done that. Instead I went right to the troubleshooter on the desktop, but then noticed that my HP solutions Center icon was back on my desktop where it was originally and it was working!    Not sure if the troubleshooter did anything actually.  

Anyway, it all works for now.     I am not happy to have to use REGEDIT nor having to execute just any old executable I find on the Internet (although this one came from HP and shows HP as the source).

HP Recommended

PS to my previous note on fixing the problem:  I aslo back before the steps listed and removed the offending update KB3132372 before doing any of those steps, including a reboot after that removal.

HP Recommended

OK. Now I got it! After uninstalling the update, I had to reboot. THEN it showed up in the updates which can be hidden. I hid it, and hopefully my problems with Solution Center are over. At least until MS in their infinite wisdom comes up with another offending update.

Thanks again for the tip.

HP Recommended

I had the same experiece.  I ended up rolling back to the restore point created before KB3132372 was installed.  I only wish I had found this post before I spent a bunch of time figuring it out!

Thanks!

HP Recommended

Be advised -- MS will push the patch again in the next couple of days.  Luckily, I found out that one can simply uninstall the patch and not have to do all this mess with restoring to a previous point, etc.   Simply unistall the patch:  settings...update and security...advanced..view history...unstall updates...select KB3132372 near the bottom of the list.  Then reboot after completed.  In fact, I did a complete shutdown/power back on.   Nothing else required.   I will be buying a new printer from someone other than HP soon because I don't want to do this often and I bet that HP won't push a patch for their Solution Center.  I'd rather have the security update than Solution Center long term.

HP Recommended

Removing KB 3132372 fixes the problem on both my own laptop and my wife's computer, both of which are running Windows 10 64-bit edition.

Update:  Using the previous mentioned tool for hiding updates alleviates my original concern shown below.

The problem is, even though I have used Group Policy (gpedit.msc) to force Windows Update into "notify only" mode, there is no way to pick and choose which pending updates I can allow to download, so I will have to be ever watchful for attempts by Windows Update to re-download and re-install the offending "security update".

HP Recommended

Try using "HP Scan and Capture" from the Microsoft store as a substitute for scanning with HP Solution Center until someone fixes the current issue.  It's free.

HP Recommended

1. Uninstall the update, THEN TO PREVENTS IT"S auto reinstall folow the directions her to run the widget:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3073930

HP Recommended

The Microsoft utility to show/hide updates will prevent Windows from  installing the update, but I found that on a machine where I'm using the AOL version of McAfee, the "enhancements" include an automatic and installation of Windows updates in addition to McAfee updates. I had to turn of McAfee's automatic update feature to solve that issue.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.