Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

I went ahead and downloaded the "HP Scan and Capture" app that has the basic capability I need -- at least until I can get a new printer.  The current printer is 10 years old (HP PSC 1510) and still works fine, except for this unfortunately software issue that cropped up over the past couple of days.  If all one needs is basic photo scanning and multi-page document scanning, then the HP Scan & Capture app will do.  If you want to actually rotate pages or delete individual pages within the multi-page document while scannng, then you'll need something fancier.  

HP Recommended

It deletes and rotates pages fine for me.   Make sure you are only selecting the page you want to change.

HP Recommended

Thanks.  HP Scan & Copy:   It isn't obvious how to select/deselect individual pages.  Figured out by right-clicking the mouse I can do that, so I do see how one can rotate specfic pages.  I don't think one can re-order the pages.   Is there a users manual around that you have found?   I'm still looking.  

HP Recommended

I couldn't find a user manual or figure a way to re-order the pages.  You might be able to in some other format than PDF.  The description page for the app says that it can re-order pages but I couldn't do it.  You can grab pages and move them around the screen but I can't get them to stick in a new position.

HP Recommended

One of the main advantages of scanning  with Solution Center is that it makes it very easy to scan multiple images into separate jpeg files, so that, e.g., several small photos or newspaper cuttings can be placed on the glass and scanned in one go. HP Scan & Capture doesn't seem to be able to do this and, indeed, seems quite primitive by comparison.

The current situation with Solution Center and Microsoft's latest security update is not really acceptable. Although it is Microsoft's update that is the immediate cause of the problem, Microsoft are presumably just patching critical security problems in Flash, so it is really up to HP to sort this out (e.g. by removing Solution Center's dependence on Flash if necessary) and without reducing functionality. It is messes like this that will gradually lead customers to other printer manufacturers. Perhaps it is no coincidence that HP are beginning to struggle in the marketplace.

What I really don't understand is how an outfit as big as HP doesn't even seem to track their own users' forum and respond with their own commentary. In the meantime, not only are those of us who manage to find this thread wasting a lot of time trying to cobble together a temporary fix, but I imagine there are many more who are just being left baffled.

Come on HP, what's going on with this mess up?

HP Recommended

Concur.  It is now up to HP to update their Solutions Center.   yesterday I was "that close" to purchasing an Epson printer to replace my aging (but nicely aging) HP PSC 1510 that is 10 years old.  For $90 there are some great solutions out there. I wanted to stay away from HP because I didn't want to purchase a PC that was using HP Solutions Center (that would be dumb thing,right).  Then the post came in with Scan & Capture.  That provides all the functionality I really need near-term anyway, except I lose optical character resolution (OCR) which sometimes is handy for pdf documents.  

There are probably a bunch of people similar to us out there who will come across this problem in the next couple of weeks as they too try to use Solutions Center after the holidays.   I hope HP is working quickly to fix this, or they will lose many similar to me for the same reason.

HP Recommended

The scan and capture aps wilii not support/do not shw my older OfficeJet 4500 G510n-z

HP Recommended

It did not show support for my HP PSC 1510 either,  but it works!    If you have a Microsoft account (I didn't but had to create on), you can download the app for free.  If it doesn't work, then simply un-install it.  It is only a 5M file. 

PS - If you don't have  a MS account, sign up for one but be advised -- it will email you a note asking to confirm your email address and ifyou are not prepared for that (I didn't expect it), you will spend an hour trying to figure out why the MS account doesn't appear to work and I can't download apps.  

HP Recommended

What I meant is when the APP asks me where I want it to scan from, it does not show my OJ 4500 G5140n-z in yhe source choices, it show other installed, but not currently active printers

HP Recommended

1/5 Windows Update for Internet Explorer Flash Player for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems KB3133431 fixes the Solution Center launch issue. I had uninstalled and blocked KB3132372 to get my old HP printer to work but I can confirm that this new Flash Update fixes the launch problem we're all having with the last WU. Restart after install even if not told to, just to be safe.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.