Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet5610v All in One
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

HP printer will print, but not copy.  This printer will print from computer, will print from cloud, will scan and will fax, just fine. However, it suddenly stopped making copies. The scanner bar goes across the glass and is lit up, but it will no longer make a copy. All pages shoot out blank. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello @MTAI,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I would like to assist you today with resolving the blank copies issue that you're experiencing when copying from your HP Officejet 5610v All-in-One Printer. To be honest, this issue sounds more like print system issue, rather than a Copy failure. The reason being is because Copying uses the exact same hardware components as Scanning. Because you are able to scan without issues to your Windows 8.1 computer we know that the copy/scan mechanism is working within your printer. However, when you print from your computer, if the document is sent to your printer as an 'image' type file than colour ink is used to 'make' or 'enrich' the black ink. Therefore, your machine may be appearing to print in black ink fine from your computer when in reality it is just the colour ink making the black colour. When you Copy from your printer, if you choose to perform a Black Copy only black ink will be used. If you choose to make a Colour Copy only colour ink will be used. To verify if the cartridges and print system within your actual printer are functioning properly I am going to have you start troubleshooting by printing a Quality Diagnostics Report from your printer. Can I please have you follow the steps below.

How to Print a Quality Diagnostics Report:

1. Make sure the product is on and loaded with unused, plain white paper.
  2. On the control panel, press and hold * and #, and then press 1, 2, and 7.
  3. Press the right arrow button () until Reports displays on the control panel, and then press OK.
  4. Press the left arrow button () until vpp self test displays on the control panel, and then press OK. The test page prints.

• (1) Printed by the right cartridge
  • (2) Printed by the left cartridge

• If this report prints with colour and black:  than the issue that you're experiencing is not being caused by your print system. Rather, there may be a programming issue that is occuring within your printer that is causing the Copy function to fail, while the Scan function continues to work. Can I please have you double check on your computer that your scan function is still working at this time.

• If this report prints with missing colour or missing black ink: than the issue that you're experiencing is actually being caused by a print system conflict within your printer, rather than a Copy failure. To resolve this issue can I please have you click here. Once the support document opens please run through Step two, Step three, Step four, and Step five. This includes any sub steps under the listed Steps to complete. Once troubleshooting is complete please try copying again.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hello @MTAI,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I would like to assist you today with resolving the blank copies issue that you're experiencing when copying from your HP Officejet 5610v All-in-One Printer. To be honest, this issue sounds more like print system issue, rather than a Copy failure. The reason being is because Copying uses the exact same hardware components as Scanning. Because you are able to scan without issues to your Windows 8.1 computer we know that the copy/scan mechanism is working within your printer. However, when you print from your computer, if the document is sent to your printer as an 'image' type file than colour ink is used to 'make' or 'enrich' the black ink. Therefore, your machine may be appearing to print in black ink fine from your computer when in reality it is just the colour ink making the black colour. When you Copy from your printer, if you choose to perform a Black Copy only black ink will be used. If you choose to make a Colour Copy only colour ink will be used. To verify if the cartridges and print system within your actual printer are functioning properly I am going to have you start troubleshooting by printing a Quality Diagnostics Report from your printer. Can I please have you follow the steps below.

How to Print a Quality Diagnostics Report:

1. Make sure the product is on and loaded with unused, plain white paper.
  2. On the control panel, press and hold * and #, and then press 1, 2, and 7.
  3. Press the right arrow button () until Reports displays on the control panel, and then press OK.
  4. Press the left arrow button () until vpp self test displays on the control panel, and then press OK. The test page prints.

• (1) Printed by the right cartridge
  • (2) Printed by the left cartridge

• If this report prints with colour and black:  than the issue that you're experiencing is not being caused by your print system. Rather, there may be a programming issue that is occuring within your printer that is causing the Copy function to fail, while the Scan function continues to work. Can I please have you double check on your computer that your scan function is still working at this time.

• If this report prints with missing colour or missing black ink: than the issue that you're experiencing is actually being caused by a print system conflict within your printer, rather than a Copy failure. To resolve this issue can I please have you click here. Once the support document opens please run through Step two, Step three, Step four, and Step five. This includes any sub steps under the listed Steps to complete. Once troubleshooting is complete please try copying again.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you! 🙂

X-23
I work on behalf of HP

If you found this post helpful, you can let others know by clicking the Accept as Solution button. You can also show your appreciation, with a kudos, by clicking the thumbs up" button!

HP Recommended

:generic:  Problem solved!!! X-23, Thank you so very, very much!!!  After spending three extremely frustrating hours on the phone with HP Support and their unpleasant, non-caring, poor listening skills attitude...they had the AUDACITY to call me back TWICE to offer to sell me a new printer. :HalfEyes:

All I can say is THANK YOU! Your e-mail was a very welcome communication.  My problem was solved in less than five minutes!  Again, THANK YOU!!!    :HeartEyes:  

HP Recommended

I have tried the trouble shoot - of star, hash, 1, 2, 7. However it remains on "loaded" not "report". Any suggestions?

HP Recommended

Ican print to the printer from the computer but cant  scan and cant make copies why is this (officejet4630 all in one)

HP Recommended

Exactly.......could not get a Diagnostic Report.......having the sane problem.....Scan, print from computer, etc. all OK....

only problem is on Copying!!!!!!!!!

HP Recommended

please help I could not do the dignostic test... where is the * and the #???? please help

HP Recommended

can you please explain to me how you mde this happen? 

HP Recommended

where do you find the star and the hash?

HP Recommended

did you figure this out? I cant even find the star and hash???

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.