Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Envy 6455
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

I just purchased an ENVY PRO 6455 printer...scanner...copier. I need to scan documents offline (no internet/wifi access) to my laptop. The printer is connected and printing fine offline with a USB 2.0 male to male printer cable. The only scanning function that I can find is under the HP Smart app that requires internet. This does me no good since I need to do a lot of offline scanning. HELP! Thanks!

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@bobc0745 

Unfortunate - a dual band printer and no way to use a network.

Product Specifications for the HP ENVY Pro 6455 All-in-One Printer (5SE45A)

That said, if you are willing to use Wireless from the printer to the computer,

the printer does support Wi-Fi Direct. that is, Wireless without a router.

User Guide

Page 30 - Chapter 3 - Connect your printer

and

Printing with Wi-Fi Direct

HP Smart is OK with Wi-Fi Direct.

You still need to sign into your HP Account to scan.

Example - HP Smart - Windows - Main Menu

HP_Smart_W10_Start_Screen_4HP_Smart_W10_Start_Screen_4

References / Resources

HP Smart for Windows

HP Smart is an application available in the Microsoft Store

Learn how to use HP Smart on your Windows 10 computer.

Open the Software and Drivers Support Website for your printer > Check the Box Get the App

OR

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Windows 10)

NOTES: 

• Website includes the HP Smart software for Windows and Mobile devices, plus an FAQ section to assist with questions / issues
  • Latest versions of HP Smart require that you be signed into the application

Mobile Printing – Options, How-to, Help, and Information

Print from your Android, iOS, or Amazon Fire device with the HP Mobile printing app.

Read this document first - Find your printer in the list of printers and supported applications

HP Printers - Mobile Printing Solutions Compatible with HP Printers

HP Smart - iOS and Android >>> Download, How-to. Videos, and FAQ

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Android, Apple iOS)

HP Support Channel - YouTube

HP Video Gallery - YouTube

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, User Guides / Manuals, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP ENVY Pro 6455 All-in-One Printer 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

Reminder:  The Community is not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution" .

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks so much for the feed back! I'm still a bit confused as to how wifi direct works. I'll pursue. Thanks again!

HP Recommended

@bobc0745 

You are welcome.

Take a look here:

Wireless printing center

Left Column, below Printer setup

Select Wi-Fi Direct

Stay Safe.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

@bobc0745 

Update - Response to your last post:

I saw your message - because you re-posted the scammer information, I had to remove your post.

We continue to warn people - sometimes someone will get caught regardless...

Yes - Scammers post odd looking phone numbers (or sometimes not so "odd" looking) and they post email addresses.

Vermin like this are exterminated when caught - they do get through on occasion.

To those reading!

Heed the warnings on all posting pages and in any email messages you receive from the Community.

Do not engage with these low-life scum.

They are thieves and desperate people who will take advantage of anyone they can snag.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

My bad! I didn't read the scam alert before I acted. This looked very authentic and "they" sounded very authentic. They even called me back after I cut off their activity on my computer when I realized it was a scam.  Like you said...vermin!

HP Recommended

@bobc0745 

Sadly, you are not the only one caught.

If they got in, consider that they got what they wanted - change all your passwords, sweep your entire computer for bugs, consider that whatever is on the computer was stolen, seen, breached.  Scammers use software to steal, poke, prod, and infiltrate.  They don't just casually stroll around and talk to you.

Yeah, but!

People coming to the Communities, this one included, are sometimes so much interested in getting help that they let down their guard.

Most every community and site on the Internet are plagued with these scammers - they make a good living stealing from people who are looking for legitimate help.

If they cannot "get" you another way, scammers use "fake" websites that "sound" (look) like the "real thing".  We get complaints about this one, too.  The Internet is not a nice place.

Best Advice: 

• Do not click on any member posted email address in any Community.
  • Do not call any phone number that is posted by anyone you do not know.  
  • Verify before clicking.

• If you have questions for HP (our home website)  or our HP Community - ask first - or just "don't do it".

SCAM Warning 

Beware of spammers posting fake support phone numbers AND / OR email addresses in the HP Community

If you find any toll free phone number in messages posted in this Community,

Do NOT call that phone number.

HP does not provide toll free phone numbers in this Community in response to your questions.

Toll free numbers posted here are an attempt of scammers who have no association with HP to try to access your computer and/or get your money.

AND

If you find any email address in messages posted in this Community,

Do NOT respond to that Email

HP does not provide email addresses in the Community in response for a request for help.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Brand new laptop...so not much on it (i.e. passwords...account info etc.). I stopped their scan mid stream also and they called me when I did and asked why. Big cajones to say the least. scumbags!

HP Recommended

OK...The setup you sent for wifi direct worked like a charm. Scan work good until I bail on HP Smart. That said...every time I close out HP Smart and try to get back in to scan again it tells me I need an internet connection to scan? So I go back into my regular wifi connection...start HP Smart...bail on the wifi connection and use the printer in wifi direct and it works great again?? This does me no good at all...I need the functionality to remain with HP Smart as I will have no internet/wifi but need to scan thousands of documents. Have I set something up wrong...or is this the functionality?  Frustrated to say the least. Thanks so much for your help!

HP Recommended

@bobc0745 

I suspect the immediate workaround is to start HP Smart and leave it open for your work session.

Yes, I know...

Even with a standard network, HP Smart is slow to open because each time it must connect to Web Services.

I tend to open it and leave it running (minimized) - it does not seem to mind sitting quietly in the background...

I don't use Wi-Fi Direct (no need for it).

Asking for help...

@greenturtle 

Words of wisdom?

Customer does not have a standard Wireless network.

Is HP Smart / Cloud setup / startup even compatible with Wi-Fi Direct ? 

Thanks for any insight.

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.