Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Color Laserjet Enterprise MFP M776
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Approximately half a year later after muddling our way though the grossly inadequate information and misleading direction provided by the HP tech agents on setting up the scanning capabilities of the M776 in Windows 10, we've rebuilt our server over the holidays and are back to square one. 

I recall you can't use the typical HP scan software even though HP tech agents swear you can, but that's about it. For example, the information on this page is useless.

@Shlomi your advise in the following thread is inadequate. You mention reviewing page 113 of the manual, but in fact the whole chapter has no information on what we need.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-Faxing-Copying/Unable-to-detect-M776-scanner-either-by-Networ...

And there's still been no response on this issue, or this one.

While the machine itself works fine, getting it set up to do the most simple tasks has been an ongoing nightmare. Being able to control scanning from a computer shouldn't be rocket science. Here's hoping HP support has gained experience over the last 6+months with helping their customers making valiant efforts with patience to use their products. 

Can we get a refund back on all the money we paid for support on this product? Perhaps we should be invoicing HP for all the support we've been providing them?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That's quite helpful @Valsimot, thank you.

Here's what I found in following your direction:

1. I had 4.11.0.1 which 4.11.03 is reported as the latest. Upon following the steps to install it and being told it was successful, the EWS still shows it has not been updated. I wasn't able to find where the firmware is stated on the machine. Nevertheless, it's above 3.8 as you suggest so I continued.
  2.  Finding 'Webscan' and/or 'Secure Webscan' in the EWS is tricky, as it doesn't show up under search. (There is a 'HP Web Services' on the machine itself, but does not appear to have anything relevant for scanning, just printing.) It is located under the "Network" tab, "Misc. Settings".  Odd that it wouldn't show up from a search.
  3. They were already enabled in my case, perhaps as a result of being set up previously.
  4. Installed this from the printer support page.
  5. It found the printer and set it up.
  6. Ran into this issue again (https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-Faxing-Copying/Go-to-the-scanner-front-panel-to-select-and-to...), but luckily resolved it before and applied the solution again.

Why your 6 lines of instructions, or the 4 relevant ones, are not provided with the manual is mind boggling. But hopefully others will find this thread. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

The Enterprise and Managed devices are workgroup devices where you scan using printers interface.

I haven't tried and don't know anyone who uses TWAIN scanning have you tried:

Screenshot from 2021-01-03 13_15_36.png

My profile on LinkedIn

HP Recommended

That's quite helpful @Valsimot, thank you.

Here's what I found in following your direction:

1. I had 4.11.0.1 which 4.11.03 is reported as the latest. Upon following the steps to install it and being told it was successful, the EWS still shows it has not been updated. I wasn't able to find where the firmware is stated on the machine. Nevertheless, it's above 3.8 as you suggest so I continued.
  2.  Finding 'Webscan' and/or 'Secure Webscan' in the EWS is tricky, as it doesn't show up under search. (There is a 'HP Web Services' on the machine itself, but does not appear to have anything relevant for scanning, just printing.) It is located under the "Network" tab, "Misc. Settings".  Odd that it wouldn't show up from a search.
  3. They were already enabled in my case, perhaps as a result of being set up previously.
  4. Installed this from the printer support page.
  5. It found the printer and set it up.
  6. Ran into this issue again (https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-Faxing-Copying/Go-to-the-scanner-front-panel-to-select-and-to...), but luckily resolved it before and applied the solution again.

Why your 6 lines of instructions, or the 4 relevant ones, are not provided with the manual is mind boggling. But hopefully others will find this thread. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.