Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Officejet Pro 8020
Other

Hi - I've been trying to get my new OfficeJet Pro 8020 to scan duplex - Using the HP smart software on both Windows 10 & MacOS the option (that I see referred to on many video's) to selected that the source is double sided, is not showing up. I understand that I'm supposed to download and install a full feature suite, which after an extensive search I was able to locate for windows 10 but not my MacOS (Big Sur) - still hopeful a solution will become available as duplex scanning on this type of device should be a basic functionality even if it requires manual turning of the pages. 

thanks in advance, 

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

@RobbieV1 

==============================================================

Welcome to the HP Community.

Be Aware:

Do not respond to individuals who post phone numbers or email addresses.

Do not post any private information in our very public Community.

These people might be scammers trying to steal your information / money.

=====================================================

I cannot find any evidence that this model supports automatic duplex scanning.

Automatic 2-sided (Duplex) scanning is a specialty feature that is available on select high-end printer models.

When supported, auto-2-sided scan is something that is touted on the Datasheet AND the settings are available in the printer software, HP Smart, AND when using WebScan via the Embedded Web Server (EWS).

Update - Clarify the need to install / use the software (in posted video)

Install and use the Full Feature Software (Full Driver) as shown in the video.

HP Scan provides the manual duplex scan method as described in the link to the video you provided.

Original Content

Printer Software

===================================================================

If you have not done so, download-save-install the Full Feature Software / Full Driver for the printer

Full Driver / Full Feature Software does not require a sign-in to use the software.

Download - save - run

HP Easy Start

• Download-and-Save the printer software (Full Feature Software / HP Smart / Easy Start)
  • Right-Click on the downloaded package and "Run as Administrator" to start the installation
  • Reminder:  If using Easy Start, select the Full Driver

Easy Start...

About 2/3 of the way through the setup, you will be given the opportunity to select the software - select the "Full Driver" set (as opposed to the basic driver).

Any...

If using USB:  Connect the cable when instructed to do so (near the last part of the driver installation)

After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in.

Full driver provides print and scan functions supported by your printer.

========================================================================

References / Resources

Optional - HP Smart Windows and Mobile Does require sign-in using your HP Account credentials

HP Smart for Windows

HP Smart is an application available in the Microsoft Store

Learn how to use HP Smart on your Windows 10 computer.

Open the Software and Drivers Support Website for your printer > Check the Box Get the App

OR

HP Printers - Using the HP Smart App (Windows 10)

NOTES: 

• Website includes the HP Smart software for Windows and Mobile devices, plus an FAQ section to assist with questions / issues

Latest versions of HP Smart require that you be signed into the application with your HP Account credentials.

========================================================================

Webscan – located in the Embedded Web Server (EWS) – No additional software

NOTE:  Webscan feature  is not available on Laser printers

If the printer is on the network,

If the EWS feature is available on your printer,

First Time Use Only:  Enable Webscan

• Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar
  • Tab Settings > Security > Administrator Settings > Enable >> Check box next to Webscan
  • Click Apply to save any changes

Next

• Tab Scan > Webscan 
  • Set up Webscan the way you want it - for example, set the Source to ADF
  • Click Start Scan to scan your document / image using Webscan
  • After the scan is complete, Save the scan to your computer.

Printer  Home Page - References and Resources – Learn about your Printer  - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

NOTE:  Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories:  Alerts, Access to the Print and Scan Doctor (Windows), Warranty Check, HP Drivers / Software / Firmware Updates, How-to Videos, Bulletins/Notices, Lots of How-to Documents, Troubleshooting, Manuals > User Guides, Product Information (Specifications), more

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

HP OfficeJet Pro 8020 All-in-One Printer series 

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Thanks, maybe I"m mis-using words here but I'm looking for an options to select two-sided originals when using the ADF. I was previously referring to the following discussion which seems to suggest the full suite offers the solution but not the 'smart scan' standard. I'm attempting to secure it for my windows 10 device but am still looking at clarifying what the options are when using a Mac. 

I tried the web scan feature and the options listed in the video of the below post still don't seem to be available to me.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-Faxing-Copying/scan-double-sided/td-p/7531159 

HP Recommended

@RobbieV1 

In so much that I am aware,

Assuming the document is loaded correctly,

Assuming the Full Driver / Full Feature Software is installed

Assuming using HP Scan...

I think that you should be able to use HP Scan and select two sided document.

I could be wrong - I cannot test it for you.

Back Story:

The printer does not support automatic two-sided scanning - use the method provided by @greenturtle .

Video Link:  HP Officejet Pro 6960|6961 |6963 | 6964 |6966 |6968: Scan Multiple (6) pages 2 sided document to PDF 

I believe that the method is relevant to your printer because, like the printer used in the video, your printer does not support automatic two-sided scanning and your printer does have an ADF. 

Asking for help...

@greenturtle

Do you have an OfficeJet Pro 8020 in your lab?

Can you confirm that the user should be able to select the "two sided" scan as shown in your video (HP Scan)?

@RobbieV1is referring to this thread / answer:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Scanning-Faxing-Copying/scan-double-sided/td-p/7531159 

Thanks.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not an HP business group.

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

Hi @Dragon-Fur  @RobbieV1 ,

HP FULL software has the ability to scan 2 sided (manual).  Need to install the HP FULL software from this link:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/hp-officejet-pro-8020-all-in-one-printer-...

The tricky part is you need to select " I'd rather setup using the CD", else it will force the HP Smart Install.

This video shows how to download the HP FULL Software solution but the software  install flow has changed.

https://youtu.be/Ue7Hbgqlyvs

So remember, download and follow through the process but when you get to the screen below, select "I'd rather setup using the CD", which will start the FULL software install.

Download full software.png

After successful install of the FULL software, start up HP Scan and you can use these settings to scan 2 sided document (manual). with the ADF.

2 sided scan.png

HP Smart doesn't has the 2 sided scan option (even when ADF is selected).  I'm not sure on Mac but Windows FULL software certainly has it.

Hope that helps!

I am an HP Employee. Although I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
Click Helpful = Yes to say Thank You.
Question / Concern Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

HP Recommended

Thanks ! I've not yet been able to try but at least it gives some hope that a solution is available. It remains odd that it is not directly integrated with HPsmart. Not sure why.

With regards to Macbook usage - anyone with a suggestion by any chance? 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.