Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 5540 Printer
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello

Set the HP ENVY 5540 printer up, no issue. Prints fine and all working over wi-fi.

The scan works fine when using the app on my iPhone (all in one HP app) and the Software on the PC . I understand how you add pages to the scan and do mulitple pages in a single document from both PC and phone App.

My issue is that the printer is 3 floors away from my PC. So i don't want to have to run up and down to the PC each time i want to add a page. Also the app uses a third party solution to get the data to my PC, for example dropbox or a mailclient, not ideal, and with large documents can cause delays before it appears on PC.

What i want to do, and could do on my old printer, was add pages at the printer itself and send direct to my PC. However, all i seem to be able to do is send single pages from the printer to the PC. I select Scan, selcted my PC, scan document, but then it just sort of completes, there is no option to add pages. The single page scan shows up fine on my PC so no issue there.

In short, at the printer, how do i add pages to scan so that docment transfer direct to my PC? Can this device only scan a page at a time fromn the scanner itself?

Thanks

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Hi @Jimvicks,

Thank you for showing your interest in HP Support Forums. It is a great place to find the help you need, from other users, HP experts, and other support personnel. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for the First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand you are having an issue with scanning multiple pages from printer to PC. Don't worry as I have a few steps to help you get through this concern,

Let's start off by performing a hard reset on the printer and make sure that the printer is connected directly to the wall outlet and not to the surge protector.

For Windows, please download and install the following software and install to your computer.

Open the HP Envy 5540 software and click on Scan a document or photo.

Select Save as PDF, set the Resolution as 300 DPI or below and ensure the box to Show Viewer is checked.

Press Scan, within the scan preview dialog, click the plus button to scan additional pages and press Save once you are done.

For more details, please follow this link.

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes for further assistance.

Please respond to this post with the result of your troubleshooting. I look forward to hearing from you. 

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello and thanks for the reply. However, this seems to be describing how to print multiple pages from the PC. My question is how do i scan muliple pages into a single .pdf from just the Printer. Is it possible to do this?

My PC is three floors away from the printer and its not really pratical to run up the stairs everytime to 'plus button to scan additional pages'.

thanks

HP Recommended

Hi @Jimvicks,

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

Please follow these steps here:

Click the Start button, then select All Apps.

Select HP and open the HP Envy 5540 software.

Press on Scan a Document or Photo and select File to PDF.

Ensure the Show Scan Preview is selected and the scan resolution is 300 DPI or lower.

Click the Scan button, scan your next pages using the plus button below the scan preview.

Once you are done click the Save button.

I hope this helps. Let me know how it goes for further assistance. 

If I have helped you resolve the issue, feel free to give me a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, 

Followed by clicking on "Accept as solution" from the drop-down menu on the upper right corner,

Thank you for posting in the HP Support Forum.  Have a great day!

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hello,

You seem to have just repeated the instruction for scanning multiple pages from a PC.

How do i scan multiple pages from the printer to a single .pdf without using the PC, the HP Envy 5540 software, or any other HP software on the PC.

I just want to know if I can scan multiple pages using just the options and controls on the printer itself and its screen.

Thanks.

HP Recommended

Hi @Jimvicks,

Thank you for getting back to us,

I understand you want to scan multiple pages into one PDF from the printer control panel, please go through the steps suggested below:

• If you scanned from the scanner glass, load the next page or photo on the glass, and then click the plus button  or  in the HP Scan preview window to scan the next item. Repeat this step until all pages or photos are scanned, and then click Save.

1. Confirm that PDF is selected in the Save as type menu, change the file name and the folder you want to save the scan to, and then click Save.

2. To view your scan, open the folder in which you saved the scan, and then double-click the file.

I have done some research and I have found a great document that will show you in detail  HP Printers - How to Scan from the Computer (Windows)  Once you have the document open, please scroll through the list until you see the portion that deals with scanning multiple pages into one file.

Scroll down to Scan from HP Software - Now scroll down to Save multi-page documents or multiple photos into a single PDF File - Under Step 2. please check for the options which read If you scanned from the scanner glass, 

I hope this helps. Let me know if you need any further assistance. I'll be more than happy to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Where the heck is the HP Scan Preview Window.  I scan from the printer and no preview window with a + sign shows up.  This should be intuitive and easy to do

HP Recommended

I felt the same way as the posters here - the solution was not well explained.

First of all - most of us probably use the HP ENVY interface right on the printer itself.  You CANNOT scan mulitple pages onto one document from there.  You must use the Black HP ENVY 5440 Series Icon on your Desktop (or just open it up from "Programs" on your computer).

To repeat - you can only scan multiple pages to one document from your computer-conrolled HP Envy 5440 printer program.

Once that is open:

1.  Click the 2nd Square Box on the top left that says "Print & Scan"

2.  Below that box "Print" will appear with a blue line underneath it.  Move the cursor to the right and click "Scan".  Now the blue line will appear under "Scan" and the scan options will open.  (This is 2nd step where most people get lost after they figure out they can't scan multiple documents straight from the printer.)

3.  Now click "Scan a Document or Photo"

4.  Once your document is loaded, click "Scan" on the lower right.

5.  Once the document is scanned, a small image of it will appear on the upper left.

6.  NOW click the blue "+" button that appears in the lower left of the page.

7.  Click "Scan" on the lower right again.

8.  Repeat until all your pages are scanned.  (Tip - before saving the document, you can reorient each horizontal-page so that it is readable by using the "Rotate" buttons on the right side ).

9.  Save your document to your computer.

Hope that helped.  I was frustrated for a while too.

HP Recommended

Issue i have though is my PC is not near the printer at all. Printer in family room as daughter and wife use. Bit crazy i have to run up 3 flights os stairs to click a butoon on my PC, then run back to printer. If its a 20 page plus document, its not helpful at all.

I just think in this day and age, should be able to put multiple page from the printer.

HP Recommended

Absolutely.  Engineers blew it badly.

Simple, basic function was left off the printer interface.

The cheap HP printer I had previously that was 8 years old had a "do you have another page?" prompt after every scan.

No good reason there isn't one on this.

You have my sympthaties.  It's ridiculous.  And effectively useless for you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.