Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 Wide Format All-in-One Printer
macOS 12.0 Monterey

My workflow is as following: I draw on paper, scan the artwork and save it in Photoshop. Then I print a copy of the artwork and color it by hand (I don't like digital coloring). Then I scan the copy, which I have colored, again.  THEN I would very much like to have the lines of the original drawing in a Photoshop layer over the colored copy. (Yes, I remove the white and make it transparent so it's one layer with just crisp ink lines).Because I want to keep the sharpness of the lineart in the original drawing.

I have tried different settings all day but even if I print without margins or print as PDF without scaling I end up with a printed copy that is slightly smaller than the original. 

It seems to be scaled down unevenly.

It also seems to have rotated a bit.

It drawings need to be exactly the same size on the pixel, so that i don't get double lines anywhere.

In a last attempt I shrunk the original drawing so that it is well within the printing borders, imported it to Indesign, created a PDF and printed it in 100% scale. I then scanned it and it was much smaller than the (shrunken) file in Photoshop.

Can someone please give me simple instructions how to do this?

When I worked with my A4 Epson printer it was never an issue, but I need to scan bigger images, hence the HP 7740 purchase.

Or are your printers not supposed to be used by artists?

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Are you scanning off the glass or using the automatic document feeder?

In my opinion you are asking for a level of precision that this level of product was never designed for. I curious if you had an Epson that worked is there a reason you changed brands because personally for this type of work Epson would be my choice.

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

I'm using the  glass flatbed to scan. The reason I bought the HP was because it was the only A3 scanner/ A3 printer I could find, for home use. Another advantage with the HP flatbed is that it actually scans all the way to the border. With my old Epson I always had to try to remember not to draw all the way to all the borders of the paper, since at least one side would be slightly cut off when scanning.

I don't think it should be a high level of precision to be able to print/copy a document in the exact same size.

If I choose borderless printing the image is scaled up so it's still missing parts of the picture, only it goes all the way to the border.

But the borders are not the most important thing. If I could just print my picture in the same scale as the original, I would be happy, missing borders or not! I don't see why that should be too much to ask, it should be one of the main features of printing! To have control of the size of the actual print!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.