Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP OfficeJet Pro 7740
Microsoft Windows 10 IOT

Serial number  [Personal Information Removed]

I have had terrible problems with my printer scanner. I have contacted HP assistance twice. Each time Euro 19.95. First time it sort of worked for a bit , but now again unable to print. Second time I got no help and had already paid. I have tried to ask for a refund, but without success. I am totally disatisfied with the lack of any support.

What can you suggest_

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

@Kafkaesque

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

We shall escalate this case.

Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Since your wife's computer is able to print in color, the issue lies with the printer drivers on your computer.

Let's do a root uninstall and reinstall of the software:

Unplug any USB cable, if any, before doing this.

1.) In Windows, search for and open Programs and features

2.) Select your HP Printer

3.) Select Uninstall

4.) In Windows, search for and open Devices and printers

5.) In the Devices and Printers windows look for your HP printer. If you see it listed right-click on it and choose 'Delete' or 'Remove Device'

6.) Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

7.) Type printui.exe /s and click Ok. (Note: there is a space in between “printui.exe” and “/s”)

8.) Click on the "Drivers" tab

9.) Look for HP Printer driver. If you see it Click on it and click Remove at the bottom

10.) Select Ok

11.) Select Apply and Ok on the Print Server Properties windows

12.) Close Devices and Printers

13.)  Open up the run command with the "Windows key + R" key combo.

14.) Type c:/programdata and click Ok. Go to Hewlett Packard folder, remove any printer related folders & files.

15.) Restart the computer.

Once done, please download and install the software from here:

https://support.hp.com/in-en/drivers

Let me know if this helps.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Dear Betty 0610,

Many thanks for your help and the time you have taken, I am most grateful. However I do not have the courage or the expertise to try your solution. Next time my IT help comes I will show it to him. Last time he was sceptical and did not want to do anything. Even he was afraid that if he started fiddling with it I might lose the ability to print at all. 

When these problems initially started I myself, partially with the IT assistant remotely and once with a maybe HP technician in Croatia spent something like 11 hours wrestling with the problem. All the automatic so-called help devices failed to work. The HPSmart Ap seems to work although it all takes longer and is less instant than before. Its a great shame because the HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 hardware does a great job - when it works!

What I need - and I suspect many others also - is an easily reached and effective GENUINE HP support service. This at the moment clearly does not exist. 

HP Recommended

I understand and will pass this forward. Do let us know if all is ok once you get help from your IT person.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution and Kudos buttons, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thanks!

Have a great day!

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Many thanks again. I should have mentioned that we have a FritzBox modem, so that should not be the reason. The HP OfficeJet Pro 7740 still seems to me new, but is out of guarantee since I bought it in June 2018. I get regular offers from the HP online store to buy new equipment, offers of "presents" every time I change a cartridge - which I never accept, but nothing ever on printer maintenance.  I have the destinct impression that HP is really only interested on selling and not concerned at all in providing any worthwhile after-sales service.

Sorry for the moan, but that's the way it is!

Thanks again and best regards, John.

HP Recommended

I'm sure that's not the case. However, if you need any help, please reach out 🙂

Thanks!

I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.