Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Office Jet Pro 9010

HP Office Jet Pro 9010 Series [Personal Information Removed]. After going through and adding my email to my HP account, I am unable to scan to email. When I test it, I get an error reading 'SMTP email server error. The server might be down or busy. Try again later.' I have turned off and on, unplugged my printer and looked at all security settings on both my email and printer. 

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

@MarissaMoore 

Welcome to the HP English Community --

It is possible you are tripping over the Email Security enforced by your email provider.

What?

Google and other email providers require extra security when dealing with third party apps that try to access that email provider's servers.  "Less Secure Access" has been disabled by many email providers.

In most cases, and assuming the error is not an old / outdated DNS access issue (Links provided later in this message), the solution is to enable 2-Step Verification / 2FA in your email account's security and create an App Password to be used in place of your regular email password in your Scan to Email SMTP Profile.

==============================

Scan to Email – Two-Step Verification / 2FA and Application Password

Email Account Security

"Scan to Email", “Scan to Network”, "HP Scan > Email" and "Share" are subject to your Email Account provider's security that governs how your email account interacts with "third party software / apps".

“Less Secure Apps” is disabled.

For example, Google (G-Mail) and other email providers, including (and not limited to) Apple, Microsoft, and Yahoo, might require that you enable 2-Step Verification / 2FA (2 Factor Authorization) AND create and use an App Password to interact with the printer software, printer applications, or any program that requires that software to access your email account.

Where the email provider's security requires it, the App Password is used in place of your normal email / account password in "third party" apps and software.

=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+=+

Example – Google / G-Mail

Notice from Google

Less secure apps & your Google Account

This video will quickly show you how to set up scan to email with an HP printer with G-mail AND keep the 2-Step verification / 2FA security feature. App Passwords

Set up Scan to Email HP Printer with 2 Step Verification on G-mail and Google

Steps

Open your Google Security Webpage

Next, if not done, Switch ON 2-step verification / 2FA

Turn on 2-Step Verification

Next, Complete the steps to open your mail security settings

Sign in with App Passwords

and

Create / Select app and (then) create your app password

• At the bottom, choose Select app and choose the app you using > Select device and choose the device you’re using > Generate.
  • Follow the instructions to enter the App Password. The App Password is the 16-character code in the yellow bar on your device.  
  • Make note of the password in case you need to re-enter it.
  • Tap Done.

Tip: Most of the time, you’ll only have to enter an App Password once per app or device, so don’t worry about memorizing it.

Make note of your App Password >> Enter the 16 App Password (no spaces) in Scan to Email in place of your regular password.

Assign / set that new App Password in your Scan to Email profile as the password.

Save and Test

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Apple – “App Password” for third party applications

Sign in to apps with your Apple ID using app-specific passwords

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Comcast / Xfinity – “App Password” for third party applications

Turn Your Access to Third Party Email Programs On/Off in Xfinity Email

Yahoo Mail – “App Password” for third party applications

Yahoo - Generate and manage third-party app passwords

Microsoft

How to use two-step verification with your Microsoft account

Next >>> Using app passwords with apps that don't support two-step verification

Work or school accounts Manage app passwords for two-step verification

=== --- === --- === --- === --- ===

What about the Port?

What’s the Difference Between Ports 465 and 587?

=== --- === --- === --- === --- === --- === --- === --- === --- ===

What is my DNS

DNS Servers

DNS server list by country

If you do not have an ISP, or if you are having continuing connection issues, use Google Public DNS.

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

Public DNS Server List

https://public-dns.info/

--- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

EWS_9025_Scan-to-Email_Setup_6EWS_9025_Scan-to-Email_Setup_6

=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=--=

References / Resources

HP Printer Home Page - References and Resources

Learn about your Printer - Solve Problems

“Things that are your printer”

When the website support page opens, Select (as available) a Category > Topic > Subtopic

NOTE: Content depends on device type and Operating System

Categories: Alerts, Troubleshooting, Ink & Paper, HP Software / Drivers / Firmware Updates , Setup & User Guides, Product Specifications, Account & Registration, Warranty & Repair

Open 

Product Home - Printers

Enter the device type and model name of your HP product

OR

Select a saved product from HP Account Dashboard

OR

HP OfficeJet Pro 9010 All-in-One Printer series  

Thank you for participating in the HP Community --

People who own, use, and support HP devices.

Click Yes to say Thank You

Question / Concern Answered, Click my Post "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.