Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
Color LaserJet Pro MFP M180nw
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My Color LaserJet Pro MFP M180nw creates distorted scans.  When I watch the scanner arm move under the glass, I see it jump / wiggle as it passes a certain point - same place every time.  It doesn't jump as the arm returns back to its home position.  This results in the scanned image being distorted in one place on the page.

I attached a 2 second video where you can see the scanner arm jump / wiggle as it moves under the glass.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

This is an issue that crops up and comes from a failure to use a stiff enough FFC cable in the scanner unit and I have seen it happen to devices even at the enterprise level. If the unit out of warranty and you have time to burn you could try to reinforce the cable with some thin Mylar. No guarantees here, this would be a complete project for you. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

UPDATE (but still need help)  . . . the ribbon cable dips down instead of staying up.  When it finally pops back up toward the glass, it snaps and makes the scanning arm jump.  You can see in the video that the ribbon cable is down on the bottom of the scanner case when the scan starts.  It should stay up toward the glass.  This is irritating . . . the whole thing is literally under glass, so there is nothing I could have done to hurt that cable or the scanning arm.  This device is only 2 years old.  Ughh.

Any idea how I can replace just the scanning bed portion of this unit?  The printer still works fine and I have new cartridges still to install.  I looked - those cartridges only work on this printer, not a newer one that I could buy.

HP Recommended

Hi @MarkF88,

As this is a hardware issue, I’d recommend you contact HP Phone Support in your region regarding service options for your printer.

Follow the instructions below to reach them:

1) Click on this link - https://support.hp.com/us-en/contact-hp

2) Select your product type below.

3) Enter the serial of your device. 

4) Select the country from the drop-down. 

5) Select the chat or get phone number options based on your preferences. 

6)Fill the web-form and proceed further.

If you are having trouble navigating through the above options, it's most likely because the device is out of warranty. If yes? please send me a private message with the region you are contacting us from. Check next to your profile name, you should see a little blue envelope, please click on it.  

Have a great day! 

And, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

HP Recommended

This is an issue that crops up and comes from a failure to use a stiff enough FFC cable in the scanner unit and I have seen it happen to devices even at the enterprise level. If the unit out of warranty and you have time to burn you could try to reinforce the cable with some thin Mylar. No guarantees here, this would be a complete project for you. 

If you find the information provided useful or solves your problems, help other users find the solution easier by giving kudos and marking my post as an accepted solution.
I am a volunteer, offering my knowledge to support fellow users, I do not work for HP nor speak for HP.

HP Recommended

That was my thought too.  The ribbon cable sags down now, so find a way to stiffen it.  Thin mylar is a good idea.

Only other problem I have is that I can't see a way to disassemble the scanner unit to get inside to reinforce the cable.  Do you know of any site with info or step-by-step (like iFixIt)?  I own every tool known to man and fix lots of stuff, but I couldn't see an obvious way into this unit.  I'm guessing I need to take the scanner unit off the top of the main box and get at the screws on the bottom.

Anyway, thanks for taking the time to reply to me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.