Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
OfficeJet Pro 9015
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

From what I understand, the HP Scan desktop app is the only way to generate searchable PDF documents, at least for my model  (OfficeJet Pro 9015).

That said, despite properly scanning the document, I CANNOT get the HP Scan to actually send it via e-mail directly from HP Scan. (I use the desktop app version of Microsoft Outlook for Office 365 for my work e-mail.) When I hit "send" on HP Scan, I get a "Saving scanned image to file" progress box that quickly disappears with no action after that. I get nothing, not even an error or failure message.

As far as I can tell, ALL HP drivers/software and ALL Microsoft software are up-to-date.

And, yes, I could scan the document to my PC and then go to Microsoft Outlook on my desktop and attach the PDF and e-mail it, but why should I have to do all that when such a basic feature like scan to e-mail could save a lot of time on that?

Any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Please try installing and scanning with the HP Scan Extended application, may you see any difference there?

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/scanners/HPScanExt/HPScanExt.msi

Be sure to launch the HP Scan Extended app from the Start menu, you may right-click it and select PIN to Taskbar to add the app on your taskbar, or select Open File Location and then right-click it and select Send to > Desktop to add a desktop shortcut.

Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hi,

Searchable PDF can be used with the HP Scan desktop app as part of the Full Feature HP Software, as well it can be done with the HP Smart app using HP Smart Tasks for your printer.

For the original problem, if you create any text file on your desktop, right-click it and select Send To > Mail Recipient, does it open an Outlook New Message with the file attached?

Please let me know the results, in order to get a better understanding of any possible cause.

Additionally, you may use HP Smart Tasks with the HP Smart app to scan directly to email as Searchable PDF from the HP Smart app, as well from the printer front panel with your printer, this could also be a good method to achieve a such:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c06211157

Shlomi

HP Recommended

Hi, ShlomiL. I tried your suggestion with Smart Tasks and see that it will send a searchable PDF to my own e-mail address. Thank you for that tip. While it's not as ideal as having an Outlook e-mail with the attachment generated from HP software and ready to send, this method is still better than having to save a scan to the PC and then attach the scan from Outlook before sending.

As far as your question, I right-clicked on a random Word file on my PC and selected send to e-mail recipient, and it generated a new Outlook e-mail with the document attached and ready to fill in the recipient and hit send. 

HP Recommended

I'll just add another observation I made, and I could be wrong about this, but as far as I can tell, the HP scanning interfaces ranked in order of quality of scans from best to worst seem to be as follows:

1. HP Scan (the stand-alone desktop HP scanning program)

2. the dedicated "Scan" button or Smart Task actions of HP Smart (desktop app)

I gather this order of quality results from the amount of variable settings each interface has for scans.

That being said, I really hope I can get HP Scan to fire on all cylinders, including scan to e-mail!

HP Recommended

Please try installing and scanning with the HP Scan Extended application, may you see any difference there?

http://ftp.hp.com/pub/scanners/HPScanExt/HPScanExt.msi

Be sure to launch the HP Scan Extended app from the Start menu, you may right-click it and select PIN to Taskbar to add the app on your taskbar, or select Open File Location and then right-click it and select Send to > Desktop to add a desktop shortcut.

Shlomi

HP Recommended

Yes, this version (HP Scan Extended) generates a new Outlook e-mail with the scan attached, which is what I wanted, BUT it doesn't create a searchable PDF like the other HP Scan desktop app I was using.

HP Recommended

OK, we are on the right path to get a workaround for the same purpose.

I do have some idea, but would like to test and verify it first and will get back to you via a private message later today.

Will keep you posted.

Cheers,

Shlomi

HP Recommended

Your supplemental instructions via private message worked! Thank you so much. You've been very helpful. 

HP Recommended

You're much welcome @bzmsql.

Great to see it is now working for all your needs!

Have a great day ahead,

Shlomi

HP Recommended

I have the exact same issue with a new Dell laptop running Windows 10 64-bit.  The printer is an Officejet Pro 9020, wireless connection.  I can't get the HP Scan to actually send it via e-mail directly from HP Scan. (I use the desktop app version of Microsoft Outlook for Office 365 for e-mail.)  When I hit "send" on HP Scan, I get a "Saving scanned image to file" progress box that quickly disappears with no action after that. I get nothing, not even an error or failure message.  I just installed the HP Scan Extension and rebooted.  No change.  All Microsoft and HP software is up to date on a new laptop.

Please advise.  Thank you.

*Update*.  Solved the issue.  It wasn't clear to me that after installing the HP Scan Extension, you must go to the Windows start menu and actually run HP Scan Extended.  In fact, you should drag it to your desktop and delete the original HP Scan icon.  Then scan PDF to Email will work.  Hope this helps someone else!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.