Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP7740
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been through 15,384 stations of the cross with downloads, "Easy Start" windows, virtual assistants, etc. I'm about to throw the whole thing through a window. 

I JUST WANT TO HIT THE SCAN BUTTON ON FROM MY LAPTOP AND SCAN A DOCUMENT. IS THAT SO HARD?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Wes16

==============================================================

Welcome to the HP Community.

Reminder to those reading:

Do NOT respond to individuals who post phone numbers or email addresses.

These might be scammers trying to steal your information / money.

HP does not post phone numbers or email in Community messages.

True:

You must sign into the Community to Post.

You must sign into the HP Smart application using your HP Account to use the application.

=======================================================================

You do NOT have to use HP Smart - it is not mandatory software.  Not.

=====================================================================

Options - that do not include signing in to the application include (and may not be limited to):

Printer Software

If you have not done so, download-save-install the Full Feature Software / Full Driver for the printer

Full Driver / Full Feature Software does not require a sign-in to use the software.

Download / save / run

HP Easy Start Printer Setup Software

• Download-and-Save the printer software (Full Feature Software / HP Smart / Easy Start)
  • Right-Click on the downloaded package and "Run as Administrator" to start the installation
  • Reminder:  If using Easy Start, select the Full Driver

Easy Start...

About 2/3 of the way through the setup, you will be given the opportunity to select the software - select the "Full Driver" set (as opposed to the basic driver).

Any...

If using USB:  Connect the cable when instructed to do so (near the last part of the driver installation)

After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in.

Full driver provides print and scan functions.

======================================================================

Other scan options

Windows Scan – Microsoft Store - Requires Windows 8 or higher

Paint- the Original - Paint (mspaint) can be used to scan.

NAPS2– “Not Another PDF Scanner”

• Download-Save-Install >  NAPS2 
  • Not another PDF Scanner – free program scans PDF files and image(s) as .jpeg or PDF file(s).
  • Includes an OCR feature – may need Ghostscript add-on (See NAPS2 forum entry)
  • Read the Support pages for information
  • Download, save, and install the NAPS2 software to use.

HP Scan and Capture - Microsoft Store - Requires Windows 8 or higher

Webscan – located in the Embedded Web Server (EWS) – No additional software

NOTE:  Webscan feature is not available on Laser printers

If the printer is on the network,

If the EWS feature is available on your printer,

First Time Use Only:  Enable Webscan

• Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar
  • Tab Settings > Security > Administrator Settings > Enable >> Check box next to Webscan
  • Click Apply to save any changes

Next

• Tab Scan > Webscan 
  • Set up Webscan the way you want it - for example, set the Source to ADF
  • Click Start Scan to scan your document / image using Webscan
  • After the scan is complete, Save the scan to your computer.

Thank you for participating in the HP Community.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not a business group of HP..

Our Community is comprised of volunteers - people who own and use HP devices.

Click Thumbs Up to say Thank You.

Question Resolved / Answered, Click "Accept as Solution"

Dragon-Fur

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

This is the message I get when trying to sign into "web services" when trying to scan.

We're sorry, something went wrong

(Error Code: OW_500_OWSID00001)

I had to sign into my account to post here. CRAZY
HP Recommended

@Wes16

Welcome to the HP Community.

Reminder to those reading:

Do NOT respond to individuals who post phone numbers or email addresses.

These might be scammers trying to steal your information / money.

HP does not post phone numbers or email in Community messages.

True:

You must sign into the Community to Post.

You must sign into the HP Smart application using your HP Account to use the application.

=======================================================================

You do NOT have to use HP Smart - it is not mandatory software.  Not.

=====================================================================

Options - that do not include signing in to the application include (and may not be limited to):

Printer Software

If you have not done so, download-save-install the Full Feature Software / Full Driver for the printer

Full Driver / Full Feature Software does not require a sign-in to use the software.

Download / save / run

HP Easy Start Printer Setup Software

• Download-and-Save the printer software (Full Feature Software / HP Smart / Easy Start)
  • Right-Click on the downloaded package and "Run as Administrator" to start the installation
  • Reminder:  If using Easy Start, select the Full Driver

Easy Start...

About 2/3 of the way through the setup, you will be given the opportunity to select the software - select the "Full Driver" set (as opposed to the basic driver).

Any...

If using USB:  Connect the cable when instructed to do so (near the last part of the driver installation)

After the software is installed, Restart the computer and log in.

Full driver provides print and scan functions.

======================================================================

Other scan options

Windows Scan – Microsoft Store - Requires Windows 8 or higher

Paint- the Original - Paint (mspaint) can be used to scan.

NAPS2– “Not Another PDF Scanner”

• Download-Save-Install >  NAPS2 
  • Not another PDF Scanner – free program scans PDF files and image(s) as .jpeg or PDF file(s).
  • Includes an OCR feature – may need Ghostscript add-on (See NAPS2 forum entry)
  • Read the Support pages for information
  • Download, save, and install the NAPS2 software to use.

HP Scan and Capture - Microsoft Store - Requires Windows 8 or higher

Webscan – located in the Embedded Web Server (EWS) – No additional software

NOTE:  Webscan feature is not available on Laser printers

If the printer is on the network,

If the EWS feature is available on your printer,

First Time Use Only:  Enable Webscan

• Open your favorite browser > type / enter Printer IP address into URL / Address bar
  • Tab Settings > Security > Administrator Settings > Enable >> Check box next to Webscan
  • Click Apply to save any changes

Next

• Tab Scan > Webscan 
  • Set up Webscan the way you want it - for example, set the Source to ADF
  • Click Start Scan to scan your document / image using Webscan
  • After the scan is complete, Save the scan to your computer.

The Community is a separate wing of the HP website - We are not a business group of HP..

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

When it comes to the activation stage, it wants to connect to a website. It says that it cannot find a network connection, but it is connected. Then I save the website by clicking on the link. It then sends me to download the driver again. I uninstalled HP Smart (thinking of a new name for it) and still the same issue. It says there is some sort of communication problem right now and to try later. I'm tired of trying later. Then I come back on here and cannot see the reply since a blue screen obscures 4/5ths of the page. Tired I am of it all. I have a $300 boat anchor that will print but will not scan.  Not quite the top-of-line product I expected. Tired of the hamster wheel. 

HP Recommended

@Wes16 

The odd screen was my fault - some sort of internal error in the post content.

Frankly, I did not even know it could do that.  Content finally cleared, I think.

Should be gone.  Apologies.

The initial problem seems two fold:

You don't want / cannot use HP Smart

HP Smart does not work

AND

You don't want to have to sign into the application.

Because of the second (You don't want to sign in), the first is less relevant, I think.

I am not sure I understood that you were / are installing the Full Driver.

If the full driver printer software, that is, the software that is located in Programs and Features exists,

Software can be uninstalled > Restart the computer and log in > Run Easy Start to install the Full Driver.

The very last, last option might be to open the webpage - as I recall, this can be skipped as can any references to Instant Ink or other questions that are not relevant to loading the driver.

What else?

I don't seem to be helping your situation - it is apparent, after all, that my assistance is not making it better.

I shall withdraw and make room for another Expert to answer your concerns.

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I hope I didn't sound too frustrated. After a nap, I eschewed any attempt at using the proprietary HP software and went with the other choices. Both Windows Scan and NAPS2 seem to work fine. Wirelessly. The second one gives me the choice of whether to save as a pdf. Thank you for your help!

HP Recommended

@Wes16 

You are fine.

Partly my fault for creating that situation where the information was obscured for a time.

I know where it came from - but I still don't know why it manifested on the website.

Ugly.

Glad to  hear you have a solution using the suggestions.

I've not used NAPS2 for a while.  Nice software.

One thing I remember is the "Export/Import" PDF bits - To use the Export/Import, you have to have created the PDF using NAPS2 (at least this used to be true).  This oddity was mentioned in the help file.

Stay Safe!

Dragon-Fur

HP Recommended

I had the same issue and used Windows Scan as a work around.  But WHY should we HAVE to connect to the cloud?  This software worked just fine before.  I'm hoping that HP will update the HP Smart software to allow an "offline" capability like before.  There's no need for HP to help me (and slow down the process) of a simple scan job!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.