Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 4500
macOS 10.15 Catalina

I have been using a HP Envy 4500 printer with my iMac for 2 years using HP Easy Scan - with no issues.

Today I tried to scan a document, when I press the "scan" button on the app a pop-up appears stating:

"HP Scanner 3" will damage your computer 
this file was downloaded on
an unknown date. Report malware to Apple to protect others

A second popup also appeared stating:

Scanner reported an error
Failed to open a connection to the device

To me this indicates the macOs has decided to block the program.

Why has this started happening? and how can I tell macOS that "HP Scanner 3" is no malware.

Edited to add:Using etc built in Apple/macOS scanner (which doesn't have all the features of HP Easy Scan) works so that proves this is not a hardware issue.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have managed to fix the issue with the following drivers:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/hp-printer-essen...

1. remove HP Easy Scan
  2. Download and install the above driver
  3. Re install HP East Scan (from the App Store)
  4. All is working fine

View solution in original post

24 REPLIES 24
HP Recommended

I have managed to fix the issue with the following drivers:

ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softlib/software12/HP_Quick_Start/osx/Installations/Essentials/hp-printer-essen...

1. remove HP Easy Scan
  2. Download and install the above driver
  3. Re install HP East Scan (from the App Store)
  4. All is working fine
HP Recommended

Apple helped me get rid of the Malware message but I could not connect to the scanner.  This worked and I am now scanning again. Thank you.

HP Recommended

How did you manage to get rid of the malware message?

HP Recommended

It was through calling Apple Support.  It took numerous tries and clicks with the screen sharing technician and I am sorry that I can not correctly recall all the steps. Rats!

HP Recommended

How can I contact them also?

HP Recommended

Where do I find HP Easy Scan to remove it?  thx

HP Recommended

Easy Scan is in applications user finder.  But as I said in an earlier response, I was on the phone with Apple Support and teh technician walked me through.

HP Recommended

I found an easier solution that works for me. I, too, could not launch HP Easy Scan after upgrading to Catalina (although the HP printer has still been working fine). To launch the app, I right-clicked on the HP Easy scan app (found in Applications folder) and selected Get Info. There's a box you can check in that window called "Override Malware Protection". That must be something new, because I've never seen it before. I clicked the box and now my HP Easy Scan app is working!

HP.jpg

HP Recommended

Marqueemark - This is just the problem I am having. However, when I click on the link you provided for the driver, it won't stay open - just closes immediately. Any idea what's going on? Can you post the link again?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.