Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended

Thanks. I will try this again. I thought I had reconfigured the OUTLOOK.EXE to point to Thunderbird with Win 10 but it still seems to struggle.

HP Recommended

For Windows 10 or Windows 7, 8, 8.1, if you install Thunderbird in the default locations

eg    for 64 bit win        C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Mozilla Thunderbird\\thunderbird.exe

for 32 bit win        C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Thunderbird\\thunderbird.exe

if you have Thunderbird installed elsewhere or don't know exactly, just right click on your Thunderbird icon and choose Properties.There will be displayed the path.

Method 1 via Registry editor

then the only modification to registry is:

Start REGEDIT

Find the Following key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE

SOFTWARE

Microsoft

Windows

CurrentVersion

App Paths

OUTLOOK.EXE

Modify the 2 keys:

for 64 bit windows 10

Default:    C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe

Path:    C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe

for 32 bit windows 10

Default:    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe

Path:    C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\thunderbird.exe

OR

Method 2 via Registry file

open Notepad and Paste the following code (the next 4 lines in red only ! ) for 64bit:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\OUTLOOK.EXE]
@="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Mozilla Thunderbird\\thunderbird.exe"
"Path"="C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Mozilla Thunderbird\\thunderbird.exe"

or the next 4 lines only ! for 32 bit

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\App Paths\OUTLOOK.EXE]
@="C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Thunderbird\\thunderbird.exe"
"Path"="C:\\Program Files\\Mozilla Thunderbird\\thunderbird.exe"

Then from Notepad save to a file eg. ScanHpThunderbird.REG , check the attached image (you need to modify the the SAVE AS TYPE to ALL FILES! ).

Then find your saved file, double click on it, confirm YES and it will be done.

No restart needed !

Close your scanning app from HP if it was open, open it again and try a PDF to Email, JPG to email or anything similar from the scanning app

I see that on some screens the 4 red lines are displayed as 5 lines, so in the attached image you will understand exactly 😉reg lines.png

Success !outlook 10.pngthunderb 10 x86.pngsaveREG.png

HP Recommended

Thank you - I never get answers here from HP support, but always am grateful for other customers who have figured things out.

HP Recommended

Brilliant solution to crap software.

Incredible this bug still exists...

HP Recommended

wbed, this fixed it for me with a HP CLJM277 on Windows 7 with Thunderbird.

Unbelievable that this is still an issue 2 years later, even with the latest version of the full package / drivers.

HP should hang their heads in shame.

HP Recommended

After the Windows 10 installation I was no longer able to scan from my HP PhotoSmart 7525 directly to an Outlook email.

I was able to resolve the by  repairing the Microsoft Office configuration. 

Here are the steps I used to resolve the problem:

1.  Open the  Control Panel by clicking the circle to the right of the Windows icon on the task and typing Control Panel in the box

2. When the Control Panel opens choose Programs and Features in the far right colume

3. When Program and Features opens  locate Microsoft Office version X (mine is Office 2010 Professional) and click on it

4. Click on YES to remove or change an application

5. Click on Change and initiate a repair of the installation.

I am now back to scanning to my Outlook email.  I hope it works for you as well.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.