Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
I am using the Magic Jack for regular phone calls. Now, I want to use it for Faxing in and out - on Windows - on a wireless connection to my Officejet 8600 Pro Plus. I see a lot of problems in the forum. Is it easier to buy and use the new Magi Jack PRO. AND. PLEASE, Does anyone have instructions for the installation and use?
12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

I'm going to be up front and straight forward with you.  Magic Jack, does not work with faxing 90% of the time.  It's not designed to.  That being said, you still have to have a phone line plugged into the printer to fax.  There is no such thing as wireless faxing.  There is internet faxing, through companies such as eFax, and you can use eFax wirelessly form the front panel of select printers.  The 8600 is not one of those printers though.  The printers that include the eFax app are in the PhotoSmart line.  Now that you know all of that, you can try to get faxing to work with magic jack, but it' most likely not going to work.  Here is a list of the things you can try:

Fist make sure you have a DSL/Digital filter installed in the line.  Next, set the fax speed to slow.  You can find steps in this document that will help with that.  Last make sure the ECM (Error Correction Mode) is off.  To turn off the ECM:

1. From the home screen, touch the right arrow.
  2. Touch setup.
  3. Touch fax setup.
  4. Touch advanced fax setup.
  5. Scroll down to ECM.
  6. Touch ECM.
  7. Touch off.
  8. Touch the home button.

That's about all you can do to get it to work, and even then it's not guaranteed at all.  Like I said, Magic Jack does not work with faxing.  

-------------How do I give Kudos? | How do I mark a post as Solved? --------------------------------------------------------
Signature
HP Recommended

I have magic jack pro or plus and it faxes just fine and auto set itself to 14400 baud rate for faxing on my HP officejet 6600

only thing im having a problem with is i cant use it as a phone when its plugged into the printer and out the phone line spot to the phone...the phone rings but does not work...just fooling around with it I found out when you picked up the phone, there was a steady hum but no dial tone..confused me since the phone rings and shows active on the computer screen but i cannot hear anyone on the other end...i have a post somewhere on here asking for help with that...

HP Recommended

I just hooked it up like I would a regular phone and it worked fine for faxes but now the phone line is just humming with no dial tone and someone can call in and the phone will ring but when i go to answer it, there is no one on the other end or I cant hear them but I think the magicjack will do one or the other but not both phone and fax, just a guess..i have a post in another area of this forum about it asking if anyone has had any success in hooking the majicjack up and it working both the fax and the phone...and i have the majicjack plus or pro...the newest one that is..

HP Recommended

Hi oksan,

I understand that you are wanting to connect your fax machine with Magic Jack. With regards to connecting the printer up as a fax machine, I have included the document 'Setting up the HP All-in-One to Send and Receive Faxes'. With regards to using Magic Jack, if you haven't already I would follow the steps above from Shane_R. A couple other things that you could try, would be to put a dsl filter on the fax line, as well drop the bit rate on for the line connected to the fax machine.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, thank you.

I worked on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

Magic Jack is a form of VOIP service for the consumer. Generally, Fax does not work well on VOIP. Added to that, Wireless faxing is prone to all the added risk of errors that happen on a wireless connection.

If you want to send fax from a woreless connection, yoju would hbe better off to work with eFAX or a similar internet to fax server. Then you are sending data that is checked with checksums or hash numbers, rather than thre Huffman codes used with true fax.

The server will then generate the Huffman codes fresh and send the fax from a landline connection.

Even so, faxes going and coming from certain countries may leave a lot to be desired in terms of legibility.

HP Recommended

YES YOU CAN!! I just bought a wireless HP fax/printer/scanner/copy machine model # 4630. I have a really onld Magic Jack, and I just plugged in the phone line from Magic Jack to line one of the printer and the second line to the phone. I can now receive faxes and send them and also use the phone. Just remember to go intoL=Magic Jack settingd and change the number of seconds before it goes to voicemail ( I changed mine to 30 seconds) and I also changed the number of rings on my phone to 5 and the # of rings for fax to ansewer to 6. Everything works, I just have to manually accept when faxes come. Hope this helps!

HP Recommended

Thanks for your positing. I have the same printer and the Magic Jack.

I do not understand your statement, "and the second line to the phone"  

Please can you explain better ???

I have the majic Jack plug to the it power and the two Outlet from majic jack were meant for Phone (which I can change to connect the fax) and second outlet to DSL Uverse Box

That get me confused when you say second line to the phone.

HP Recommended

have magicJAck go in my office and I am runnig a HP officejet Pro 8620. Currently i have the magic jack conencted to the electricity, one line on my internet moden and I have a DSL filter connected in the phone side. I have the fax running through the DSL side and my ohine line through the phone side. They are both working perfectly. For future references.

HP Recommended

Hello

I have been using Magic Jack for years and for faxing with a Kodak 6150 AIO with phone and answering machine they tell

you to set the fax for the slowest speed and you can only use it for 800 #s like 877 etc otherwise you will need to pay for

long distane service. My 6150 just got a printhead jam and now I purchased a HP Officejet Pro 8720 I did a fax test and it

says it's set to fax we will see.  I have a phone and answering machine so I had to put the phone line from answering

machine to the ext 2 and the fax line in line 1  to the magic Jack and out from Magic Jack to the modem u should be good.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.