Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Officejet Enterprise MFP Color X585
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello. I am currently trying to configure my Officejet Enterprise MFP X585 to be able to scan to email. I do not have an SMTP server of my own so I am attempting to configure the device to scan to email using Gmail's free SMTP server.  I have entered the server as smtp.gmail.com, the port as both 465 and 587 and have tried to configure both with and without the SSL protocol box enabled. Under user credential verification I have tried both "use credentials of user" and "always use these credentials" and proceeded to enter my gmail email adress and password. Despite this, the test email is not able to be sent and the configuration is not working. Under my Gmail settings I have enabled access for less secure apps and disabled 2-step verification.

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Hi,

You should use smtp.gmail.com

The port should be 465

SSL should be checked

A User login should be checked with the gmail address and your password.

Please also ensure that Acess for less secured app is actually enabled
First open the following link and ensure you are logged on to the same account as you are setting for the printer.

Even if you are logged on please log off and log back on
https://myaccount.google.com/

Within the Sign-in & security section click on Signing in to Google and ensure that "2-Step Verification" is set as "Off".

Within the left pane click on Connected apps & sites and ensure that "Access for less secure apps" is actually set as "ON", I did see many times that once re-logging in it is listed as Off.

Once you are done run a test for the outgoing user profile and check if the problem been resolved.

If the test fail please clarify the exact message shown as a result of the test.

Regards,
Shlomi

Click the Yes button to reply that the response was helpful or to say thanks.
If my post resolve your problem please mark it as an Accepted Solution 🙂
HP Recommended

If are trying to Scan to Email with Gmail, and getting a username and password problem it is an easy fix.

It took me five hours to figure it out, and then I remembered recently there were changes in gmail. 

Go to your google account and signin.

Then go to sign in & security 

Then click on apps with account access

Then after clicking, go to the right, and then go down the page to "Allow less secure apps" and click to ON"

This should fix your problem because this will give HP access to your Username & Password

HP Recommended

If are trying to Scan to Email with Gmail, and getting a username and password problem it is an easy fix.

It took me five hours to figure it out, and then I remembered recently there were changes in gmail. 

Go to https://myaccount.google.com and signin.

Then after clicking, go to the right, and then go down the page to "Allow less secure apps" and click to ON"

This should fix your problem because this will give HP access to your Username & Password

HP Recommended

Go to your google account, and signin.

HP Recommended

I tried everything listed and was able to get the set up complete on the HP Printer utility.

It even sent an email saying SMTP access was set up.

But now when I try to scan documents - the display says "Connecting to GMAIL" and after a long time - it times out and says try different SMTP: 25, 475..

Anybody have any ideas on how to resolve this plese.

Thanks

HP Recommended

Go to > https://myaccount.google.com/

Sign in to your own Gmail account.

Go to > Sign-in & security

Select > Signing in to Google

Under >  "Password & sign-in method" you will "App Passwords"

Look for > "Select the app and device for which you want to generate the app password."

Use "Select App" drop down and choose > "Other(Custom Name)"

Type in a printer name for your printer ( Mine is: OfficeJet8715)

NOW click > Generate

Google will generate a unique long password on a new screen. 

Copy this password and paste it into the space provided for Password in the HP Settings > Scan to Email for your Gmail Password.

This will be a unique password used by only this device to log into your Gmail Account.

This works 100%

Good luck!

HP Recommended

Thanks for the help and info.  I generated the password and I still get cannot resolve smtp server.  OMG.  I don't even really need this feature but I hate to be defeated.  Did you use smtp.gmail.com and 587?

~Joe

HP Recommended

Thanks! This has been driving me nuts for a week. Couldn't find an answer and "googled" a different way and this popped up. This is definitely a Google issue, but your answer worked!

HP Recommended

This did not work for me. I have tried several different avenues. I cannot figure it out. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.