Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Note: From May 1, 2024, the HP Scan and Capture app will no longer be available (retired) in the Microsoft Store and HP will not release any further app updates. Alternatively, you can download HP Smart from the Microsoft Store. For more information on how to set up your printer using the HP Smart app, go to HP printer setup (HP Smart app).
Common problems HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to scan
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about HP Solution Center not working : Adobe Flash Player Error and Unable to Scan.
HP Recommended
HP Laser Jet CM1312nfi MFP
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi,

I hope someone can please help. Yesterday I was using my multi-function Color Laser Jet CM1312nfi MFP printer to scan a couple of pages. The scan went through fine with no problem as have countless others before. No changes were made to the system and I am the only one who uses the computer and printer.

About 45 minutes after the last scan I went to scan another page when I got this message:

"No Twain-compliant device installed, please install one and try again".

The scanner refused to work. I tried rebooting the computer and turning the printer on and off to no avail. I thought maybe there was a problem with the machine itself or a loose cable or connection but the machine still prints documents.

I tried using the HP Print and Scan Doctor and that doesn't work. It guided me to several drivers. I downloaded and tried one called "CM1312series-win7-full-solution-AM-EMEA1-v5.1". The installation won't fully go through and reverses itself. The same thing happens when I try reinstalling the original software I used to use the scanner a few years back.

Can anyone help?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thanks,

I finally resolved the issue the following day after several frustrating hours.

I would uninstall the driver software, disconnect the USB cable and restart the computer. After the restart, I would try one of the previously mentioned options. At a certain point, the installation process would ask me to reconnect the USB cable and then click the "OK" or "Continue" button in the installion dialog box.

However, I noticed that as soon as I connected the USB cable but before I could click the button, Windows would automatically start installing a driver. It would always do the same thing. It would install 6 or 7 components, 4 or 5 would successfully install regarding printing. A separate status dialog box would pop up showing these parts installed. A green check mark would appear next to the print functions. However, 2 components dealing with scanning would not successfully install. These components would get a red X next to them.

Meanwhile, I would have clicked the "OK" or "Continue" button in the installion dialog box. After a few minutes, the installation would abort itself and I would end up having to uninstall the driver and reboot all over again.

It finally dawned on me that 2 separate installations were going on at the same time. What finally resolved the problem was after uninstalling the driver and restarting yet again, I started the original installation application process but when I was prompted to connect the USB cable, I first disconnected the computer from the internet and then connected the USB cable.

Before I could click the "Continue" button, I noticed the separate installation process was beginning again. I immediately clicked the X in that dialog box to stop that installation. I then clicked "Continue" on the desired installation dialog box and it finally successsfully installed. Once it installed, I reconnected the computer to the internet and the scanner now worked.

Thank you for your advice anyway.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hello, 

You may have to uninstall the printer software.

Restart the PC.

Please download and run the HP Printer Install Wizard from www.hp.com/go/tools

Regards,
Jabzi

Give Kudos to say "thanks" by clicking on the "thumps Up icon" .

Click "Accept as Solution" if it solved your problem, so others can find it.
Although I am an HP employee, I am speaking for myself and not for HP.
HP Recommended

Thanks,

I finally resolved the issue the following day after several frustrating hours.

I would uninstall the driver software, disconnect the USB cable and restart the computer. After the restart, I would try one of the previously mentioned options. At a certain point, the installation process would ask me to reconnect the USB cable and then click the "OK" or "Continue" button in the installion dialog box.

However, I noticed that as soon as I connected the USB cable but before I could click the button, Windows would automatically start installing a driver. It would always do the same thing. It would install 6 or 7 components, 4 or 5 would successfully install regarding printing. A separate status dialog box would pop up showing these parts installed. A green check mark would appear next to the print functions. However, 2 components dealing with scanning would not successfully install. These components would get a red X next to them.

Meanwhile, I would have clicked the "OK" or "Continue" button in the installion dialog box. After a few minutes, the installation would abort itself and I would end up having to uninstall the driver and reboot all over again.

It finally dawned on me that 2 separate installations were going on at the same time. What finally resolved the problem was after uninstalling the driver and restarting yet again, I started the original installation application process but when I was prompted to connect the USB cable, I first disconnected the computer from the internet and then connected the USB cable.

Before I could click the "Continue" button, I noticed the separate installation process was beginning again. I immediately clicked the X in that dialog box to stop that installation. I then clicked "Continue" on the desired installation dialog box and it finally successsfully installed. Once it installed, I reconnected the computer to the internet and the scanner now worked.

Thank you for your advice anyway.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much!!  I have been trying every solution I could find for 3 weeks and nothing worked....unplug the internet and presto problem solved.

HP Recommended

You cannot scan with Window7 with recent HP driver downloads. However, you can scan if you have the HP download from 2010 or earlier. The following driver that I downloaded in 2010 works (scans) with Windows 7 64 bit.

Name: CM1312series-win7-full-solution-EMEA2-v5.1.exe
Size: 308 MB
URL: https://www.adrive.com/public/Ac3gBn/CM1312series-win7-full-solution-EMEA2-v5.1.exe

I uploaded the 2010 driver to my ADrive accoung. My settings were 8.5x11 PNG 600 dpi. and don't check Twain.

HP Recommended

This is hilarious!  The computer I am using it on is NOT connected to the internet!  So this is not the result of any program updates.

HP Recommended

This worked.  I did not get the concurrent install, but disconnecting the internet was the key to success. 

THANK YOU!!!!!

HP Recommended

My hard drive failed and so I had to replace it and then reinstall my OS (Win 7 64-bit) plus all my software and devices.  My scan function didn't work because there was no TWAIN-compliant device installed. Here is my solution: 1) From the Start button, click Devices and Printers. 2) Right click the device in question, and then left click "Properties" (not Printer Properties, just "Properties").  3) There are two tabs at the top - General and Hardware. Click the Hardware tab. 4) Click HP SCAN and then click the Properties button (below and to the right). 5) In my case, Driver Details indicated that there were no scan drivers installed. 6) Click Update Driver. That did it for me. What a relief!

HP Recommended

Dear Mr Billat,

I registered on this website only to say "thank you for your help". I had this "There is no TWAIN-compliant device installed. Please install one and try again." message and lost a lot of nerves and time trying everything recommended on the HP site, but it was as closed circle. Finally, i found your explanation and in desperation decided to try for a last time... and it worked :))) Admirations to you for taking the time to share with the others! People like you are inspiration for the others. Happyness and God bless!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.