4 0 4
Message 1 of 235
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

HP Zbook Thunderbolt 3 Dock USB ports not working

HP Zbook G3
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I have an HP Zbook Thunderbolt 3 dock on my HPZbook G3.  I recently updated the BIOS and firmware to the latest version to fix other "dock" issues.  Am now at the latest for both.  The dual monitors and ethernet over the Thunderbolt 3 work, but none of the USB ports are active.

I'm certain the USB ports work, becuase they used to work prior to the BIOS and firmware update.  Neither keyboard, mouse, or USB memory work in the dock.

I've tried going to HP support and installing any of the updates with USB in it, but it hasn't worked.  I have a workaround--just plugging in to the notebook directly, but would like to get my dock fully functional.

The Device manager doesn't show any devices with issues.  I'll try to update, but I don't know which one to look at.

2016-05-09 10_08_54-Device Manager.png

234 REPLIES
Master's Graduate Master's Graduate
Master's Graduate
791 34 78
Message 2 of 235
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

DId you reimage your ZBook or using the preloaded image/OS?

One thing i often recommend is to use HP SDM (Softpaq Download Manager - www.hp.com/go/sdm) to update all drivers - and/or BIOS - it shows as not installed or new versions available. Only install hw/ component drivers, no other s/w, except you should inclued the System Essentials Softpaq (bunch of Microsoft Hotfixes for Windows) and the USB-c-Thunderbolt Thunderbolt softpaq update if not alreay selected

I work for HP. However, all opinions and comments are my own.
0 Kudos
Scott-ZBook Tutor
Tutor
5 0 4
Message 3 of 235
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Fun Fact about the SoftPaq for the ZBook G3, it's out of date and missing things. Not all the drivers and BIOS listed in there. For example, the correct BIOS is sp75837. Not in SoftPaq, but is on the site. This issue is being reported often, even post updates.

0 Kudos
subm3rge Top Student
Top Student
1 0 2
Message 4 of 235
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I'm having USB issues as well, even after updating to latest versions of available system software. Running Win7Pro, two screens and all USB ports allocated.

Interestingly, I can sometimes get the USB ports to come to life again, by pulling the power supply to the dock and reinserting it, while ving the Zbook running on battery. I wait for the USB disconnect sound - when I reconnect power I get USB reconnect sounds for each device in the dock.

Seems like a driver issue to me, or even worse, perhaps some hardware related issue - I only lose USB connectivity once the dock gets really hot. After the second power reset this morning, the "trick" didn't work. I then put the dock in my freezer for 15 minutes, reconnected leads, and the USB ports worked again.

Might be HP rushed the testing on this particular piece of kit. Very sad.

VoltMaster Tutor
Tutor
10 0 3
Message 5 of 235
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I'll also having the same issue and this is really annoying as one of the main reasons I bought this laptop was for its dock. Disappointing. Anyone from HP got any ideas?

0 Kudos
VoltMaster Tutor
Tutor
10 0 3
Message 6 of 235
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

So I ran both HP SDM and Help Assistant and yet it update everything that it could and it started working - clearly a driver or two were missing.  I did notice though that Help Assistant took about 20 minutes to connect to the HP servers and grab the information required whereas SDM was pretty instant. I also just ran both at the same time.

Hope this helps :)

0 Kudos
Scott-ZBook Tutor
Tutor
5 0 4
Message 7 of 235
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I found a method that worked: 

• Update Windows
  • Update BIOS to 1.07 (SP75837)
  • Change Security for the ports in BIOS. (Advanced > Port Options > Turn port security off in the drop down)
  • Install ASMedia XHC driver (74164), Thunderbolt Secure Connection (74783)
  • Restart
  • Intel Thunderbolt Firemware Update (74938) NOTE Use the GUI installer, ThunderboltUpdater.exe. Don't launch from SoftPaq Manager.
  • Restart
VoltMaster Tutor
Tutor
10 0 3
Message 8 of 235
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

I have noticed though that if you're using dual monitors on the two DisplayPort connectors, the screens will flicker in and out, then eventually turn off which will light my the laptop screen and then revert back to the monitors about 20 seconds later. It's really strange as it seems to happen when new windows or programs are opened as though they're interfering somehow. I keep readjusting the plugs and the problem eventually goes away.
0 Kudos
Professor Professor
Professor
1433 136 801
Message 9 of 235
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

Hey,

Here are the support documents for the dock:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05060909

Whitepaper - http://www8.hp.com/h20195/v2/GetDocument.aspx?docname=4AA6-5088ENW

-wes

I am an HP employee.
0 Kudos
ColderProducts Honor Student
Honor Student
2 0 0
Message 10 of 235
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Solved!

The "support documents" you supplied are not available using your link.

After installing the dock and working with it for a day installing our company applications and Windows updates, the laptop completely froze with a flashing power button.  I had to do a hard reset.  Upon finally getting to a logon screen, none of the peripherals worked.  After logging in, Device Manager showed NO docking installed whatsoever.

I had HP tech on the phone today about continued issues with the Dock, performed all of these steps as well as a system restore and the docking station isn't even installed!  

Where is this support documentation??  Can you provide a VALID link?

0 Kudos
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation