Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
HP Recommended
OMEN 25L Desktop PC GT12-1000a (ID 1Z1C0AV)
Microsoft Windows 11

Dear forum users & hopefully the odd HP employee,

I was prompted to do a Windows 11 update and an optional HP update, but it seems to have failed/broken my system.
Whenever I now turn on my pc it gives no signal out, not even a bios (although I am unsure what the proper button combination is to get into it), just stays on.
If I press the power button again the pc instantly shutsdown.

The keyboard RGB works, but the mouse RGB doesn't (probably waiting for the OS to load), I don't get any screen out (DP or HDMI).
Any tips on trying to recover this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

RMA Process took nearly 30 days, but PC has been fixed by the local HP affiliated repair centre.
Seems shipping it to Hungary is faster FYI

Edited: I just had
 contact with local HP support, I fear the motherboard will have to be replaced as I can't flash the chip directly with the tool listed, my Orisa Hana board has a chip on it, the GD25LR128DSIG which currently isn't supported by the flashing tool.
I will try to ask the community how I can add it, but it's datasheet is near impossible to find online.

I hope HP will contact me soon and can send me a replacement motherboard, rather than having to send in the entire system and lose access to it for several weeks.
They offered me the option of sending it to Hungary or getting a local technician to look at it and potentially replace the motherboard. I opted for the latter.

EDIT: My on-site repair has been pushed back, as there seems to be some strange run on Orisa Hana motherboards 💀
EDIT2: On-site repair failed to resolve the issue, could be because I'm especially unlucky, Technician took it with him so they can have a look at it @ their HQ.
EDIT3: On-site repair couldn't resolve the issue @HQ - they have ordered another motherboard & a power supply - stating the one they tried on-site must've been busted to begin with. PC has been out-of-order since 26th of September, (second round of) parts are said to arrive by the 28th of October. Praying I'll get the system back in the beginning of November. 

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11
HP Recommended

Tried BIOS Recovery Medium (USB)
I got an old USB drive, tried the BIOS that I found under the software & drivers section for my PC, made a recovery USB and booted up the pc with it in it.
Results: nothing, not sure if there is supposed to be some button combination I'm supposed to press, but the USB doesn't seem to be doing anything, still no video out.
Edit: turns out  there is a key combination I was supposed to press, but it doesn't work for me, maybe for others who come across this thread: Windows + B on boot, whilst holding power for 2-3 seconds before letting go of it is supposed to trigger a BIOS recovery.
Tried a Windows 11 iso (but BIOS isn't even accessible)
Trying a Windows 11 iso next. If that fails I fear I have no next steps to take aside from claiming warranty?
Tried clearing the CMOS battery (potentially incorrectly)
Had no visible effect, BIOS still inaccessible through F10/ESC/DEL, no video, yes white rgb.

I fear the BIOS might have to be reflashed to the actual BIOS chip itself?

HP Recommended

I found these steps posted by @Savvy2 on how to reset the BIOS. Unfortunately as I have done a clean install of Windows 11 Pro, and can't access the BIOS through ESC/F10 or DEL, I seem to be left to removing the CMOS battery and waiting for the PC to discharge in the hopes that the factory BIOS has support for my 5000-series Ryzen CPU... 
The only other options I can think of is a full motherboard replacement or the purchase of a hacky BIOS flashing tool combined with some PC surgery.

"BIOS and resets all ways, the word RESET has many meanings, ILL LIST THEM ALL.

1: ESC , see bios go in to BIOS see reset to factory state.. day 1 BIOS settings.

2: pull the coin cell with the PSU  power cord removed,  and all power dischaged, pushing the power button first.

wait one hour till the NV dischanges below 2vdc, this can take awile.  but most time not done right above.

3: using the windows key +B  to burn your Current BIOS, to what was shipped day one on your HDD.

A: if the HDD is missing dead this is impossible.!

B: if you loaded a MS install , it kills dead the HP restore partitions making this reset DOA, impossible.

C: if a virus on HDD went wild,  bam, end of that, now. the restore fails are now infected and must not be use or is impossible to try.

The HP web site  has  the BIOS files on all 10 year or newer PCs,  download them,  some times 10 files.

from old to new, flash yours now.  do not mix up PC models or you will get the wrong files and corrupt it again.

Once you burn the newest flash,  you can NOT GO BACK to older,  (by Design)"

HP Recommended

Since HP Support is non-existent in my region (West-Europe) I have not yet been contacted back about my case/ticket.

I fear the only solutions out there for people in the community with similar issues (non-recoverable bios, thus non-repairable Windows) is to:
1: Reflash, or get the BIOS reflashed, using a hacky tool (personally I bought a C341a programmer with the appropriate accessories (I believe in my case the 1.8v adapter is required, my AMD board has a Gigadevice 25lr128dsig chip as the on-board BIOS chip, which from what I have found takes 1.8v (specs online say between 1.65 and 2v, thus it must not be the 3v I keep hearing about) but I haven't been able to find a proper datasheet.

2: Replace the motherboard with a new one (perhaps one with BIOS flashback or dual-BIOS to prevent these issues in the future.)

HP Recommended

@JohnDeMol

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

We shall escalate this case.

Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the Accepted Solution button, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot @Betty0610!
I have sent you the relevant information & hope to hear from you guys soon about the possibilities for replacement of the board (I assume this will be the most cost-efficient way of dealing with the issue).
Perhaps you guys could also make sure to pull the optional feature from the Windows Update, just so this won't happen to more people on the Ryzen 5K platform.

HP Recommended

RMA Process took nearly 30 days, but PC has been fixed by the local HP affiliated repair centre.
Seems shipping it to Hungary is faster FYI

Edited: I just had
 contact with local HP support, I fear the motherboard will have to be replaced as I can't flash the chip directly with the tool listed, my Orisa Hana board has a chip on it, the GD25LR128DSIG which currently isn't supported by the flashing tool.
I will try to ask the community how I can add it, but it's datasheet is near impossible to find online.

I hope HP will contact me soon and can send me a replacement motherboard, rather than having to send in the entire system and lose access to it for several weeks.
They offered me the option of sending it to Hungary or getting a local technician to look at it and potentially replace the motherboard. I opted for the latter.

EDIT: My on-site repair has been pushed back, as there seems to be some strange run on Orisa Hana motherboards 💀
EDIT2: On-site repair failed to resolve the issue, could be because I'm especially unlucky, Technician took it with him so they can have a look at it @ their HQ.
EDIT3: On-site repair couldn't resolve the issue @HQ - they have ordered another motherboard & a power supply - stating the one they tried on-site must've been busted to begin with. PC has been out-of-order since 26th of September, (second round of) parts are said to arrive by the 28th of October. Praying I'll get the system back in the beginning of November. 

HP Recommended

je moet wel eerst bij je bios geraken voor je die kan resetten dat is juist het probleem zou ver komt mijn pc niet eens 

HP Recommended

To anyone coming across this post in the future, the initial recovery methods are described here, the rest of this post is only relevant if you have tried those and they don't work: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/ish_3966820-3438449-16

Hierboven staan de mogelijke stappen om je BIOS te recoveren/herstellen. Er zijn ingebouwde herstelmethodes dankzij HP, maar deze lijken bij mij niet meer te werken (omdat ik een Win 11 iso van Microsoft geinstalleerd heb i.p.v. de HP iso).
Ik hoop dat de stappen in het document hierboven je vooruit kunnen helpen, anders zul je net als ik contact op moeten nemen met HP i.v.m. een corrupte BIOS door een HP update. Aangenomen dat het door hetzelfde veroorzaakt is (een optionele feature update van HP naast de gebruikelijke Windows 11 update).

HP Recommended

I have the exact same problem as John posted. HP pushed a (wrong or faulty) BIOS update through Windows Update on my new Omen Desktop 25L. I also tried every solution (BIOS recovery via usb, key combination etc.) from the HP website and nothing worked. I also have no power from any usb-port. Only a black screen at startup and no video output.

I also can't find a HP service/repair center available in The Netherlands. Can someone from HP get in contact with me? I also send an e-mail to HP support but haven't heard back. I'm still within warranty and have an extra care package according to my serial number. I think my motherboard needs to be replaced.

Thanks in advance!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.