Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
Thanks for the update bt350, I've had it for a few weeks but there is a sales of goods right as being fit for purpose!!! I am sure a fix will come but they need to be more transparent about the issue and train their staff to be aware of it. Very frustrating.

Jmb
HP Recommended

I got the fix and its not a temporary fix this time.........I tried the file HP put up and it didnt do anything....... I downloaded windows 10 via media creation tool.....I just went ahead last night and bit the bullet...used my HP restore USB stick...did a complete factory reset...then I installed all the HP updates, then installed all windows updates, and yes I got the black screen after logon...I then stuck the USB stick with the latest Windows 10 via Media Creation Tool.....clicked on the USB drive and then clicked install file......chose update then chose keep all my data and apps....everything installed great...ran windows update and got everything there..rebooted and no more black screen...I then ran the HP tool to check for HP updates and none were there....checked all the pre-installed HP utilities and everything worked like a charm...no errors at all.....the problem has to be with HP ...been a few hours with a bunch of reboots...shut downs and restarts and no more black screen and all programs and HP stuff is working like they should...yea its a hassle but for me the only other choice I had was to disable "appreadiness" and I hate disabling something I am not sure of its purpose....all HP recovery software works.....its as if I just bought this laptop with no problems...my boot times are just as fast as it was 2 weeks ago when I bought it.....its up to yall if you want to spend the time doing this or wait to see if Microsoft or HP comes out with a solution....I was hoping the new file HP just released to fix this would have worked for me but it did nothing to help, even after a clean install....now if you dont want to go through everything I did you could try to just update windows using a USB drive or ISO file from Microsoft using their Media creation tool...here is the link... https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

HP Recommended

Bubbabear, I wish I was more technically proficient as I would consider trying this, but I have a feeling I would not execute it all properly as I am not very laptop/software/hardware-savvy.

For now, I just enabled "app readiness", went in and checked for Windows updates, loaded the updates, and then went back and disabled "app readiness".  For now, I will just keep doing that (weekly?) until a permanent solution is provided by HP.

Thanks for the info though!

HP Recommended

> Husband tells me - should have bought the DELL!

Isn't "hindsight" wonderful?   :indifferent:

Did he say this before the purchase?  :Crying:

If a tree falls in the forest, is it the man's fault?  :generic:

HP Recommended

> I was hoping the new file HP just released to fix this would have worked for me but it did nothing to help, even after a clean install ...

I understand that you did three things:

* clean install -- presumably, no "black" screen symptom;

* installed Windows Updates -- presumably, no "black" screen symptom;

* installed HP Updates;

to produce the symptoms.

Or, did you do three things:

* clean install -- presumably, no "black" screen symptom;

* installed HP Updates -- presumably, no "black" screen symptom;

* installed Windows Updates;

to produce the symptoms ?

I doubt that doing ONLY the "clean install" will produce the symptoms.

I'm not sure when, in either of the above three steps, that you installed that latest HP update.  Can you please elaborate?

HP Recommended

mdklassen, yes, he did mention to me that I'd want to consider the DELL (he's owned several over the years), but this model HP attracted me for the features that I was looking for.  

Yeah, hindsight is a great thing, right?   I had a Macbook Air before this and never got used to the OS and sold it and bought this Pavillion X360.  What's the irony?  

What bother me most is that if these are long-standing compatibility/conflict/system issues between MS and HP, why have they not been resolved?  I now wish I'd read further about HP laptops before buying.  But for the average consumer like myself (who's not tech-proficient), you would not normally comb support forums looking for technical problems/info.

Lesson learned I guess. 

HP Recommended

> What bother me most is that if these are long-standing compatibility/conflict/system issues between MS and HP, why have they not been resolved?  

Nobody reported the symptoms on this forum before Tuesday, September 12, 2017 at 10 AM Pacific.

So, it is not a "long-standing" problem, unless you compare it to the lifetime of a SnapChat. :generic:

REF:   https://support.snapchat.com/en-US/a/when-are-snaps-chats-deleted

See: https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/swdetails/omen-by-hp-870-200/13687063/model/1645016...

for a just-released (Saturday, Sept. 16) update that will address the symptoms.

See: http://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp81501-82000/sp81965.html  for "release notes".

HP Recommended

No black screen untill the the 2 sept 2017 updates from microsoft....I tried to unistall those updates and still got the black screen...

as far as Dell goes there are some Dells having this same problem plus some other builders its not just an HP thing and not all HP's...I bought this Omen to replace my Dell laptop two weeks ago and I am happy I did it....I wont buy another Dell they have problems like all the others....I swore I would never buy an HP after the one I bought in 2001 but since Omen was at one time a Voodoo made PC I looked at the specs and the price and thought I would try one and happy I did......Windows 10 update every month and a almost every quarter or two quarters they have a huge update with a lot of added stuff so there are going to be problems..we all have become beta testers......next months update I think will be the big one if not it will come in November......I use to participate as an insider and test every version untill one of them bicked my desktop a few years into Windows 10 first public release, thats when I stopped thank God it was an older Dell gaming machine

Its just funny how Windows 10 from Microsoft fixed the problem for me, nothing disabled now and I think it even boots one or two seconds faster...from the time I hit the button to turn it on I am at the logon screen in 4 to 5 seconds, after I enter my password I am at desktop in just under two seconds, ... a few days ago I tried to do a clean install with win 10 from  microsoft but a handfull of HP utilities installed but would start at all, error was some file failed to run...but uprading it from HP's win 10 to Microsofts win 10 worked like a charm.....I know many builders will tweak drivers and they probably tweek windows also and thats where I think the problem begins......

Good luck to all yall still trying to get things back like they should

HP Recommended
Then maybe it was in another support thread that I read. Someone commented, someone with far more knowledge than me, that HP has had long-standing issues on and off with windows. I wish I could pull up the thread. But I do distinctly remember reading about it. The person who mentioned it said this was one of the reasons they were not big on HP, in general. I was not referring specifically to THIS current, exact issue, but issues in the past that HP has had with windows.
HP Recommended

if you google or bing black screen after logon you will find many threads on this dating back to Windows 8 and on a lot of machines, not just with HP's...the current one seems to affect more newer computers than it does older ones......

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.