Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
hp gaming pavilion model 690-024
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been researching for a new replacement graphics care for my HP pavilion desktop model 690-0024. It came with a AMD radeon RX580 and I would like to upgrade it to a new AMD radeon rx 5600 xt. The specific model i am looking at is a Sapphire Pulse RX 5600 xt BE which is a newer and smaller version of the card. It measures 9.1 inches by 4.8 inches by 1.6 inches. The card also does does take a lot of power and under load what i have seen is around 160 watts. I know the case on the inside has a available length of just over ten inches. I know one of the version of this model comes with a RTX 2060 which would be drawing more power than the card i am looking at. I know that i have a 400 watt power supply which I believe should work fine. I just want to confirm that this will work for upgrading my graphics card.

thanks

Gary

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That is correct this is with the original 400 watt power supply. I was a little concerned when I ran the MSI afterburner kombustor program since it runs the GPU at its extreme limits of the card but it had no issues with the power supply. I think it helps that when I overclocked it I also undervolted the GPU which should lower the power demand. Also the newer sapphire pulse radeon rx 5600 xt BE card is more efficient than the RX 580 which i also believe helps. Although it was a little tight it also fit nicely into the HP case and all I needed to do was remove the plastic wire bracket. I think the amd ryzen 5 2400g maybe bottlenecking the GPU a little bit but it appears to run very demanding games with no apparent issues. I really appreciate all your support and I hope this helps others if they are considering upgrading their GPU. 

thanks again for everything

Gary

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12
HP Recommended

@gg63 , welcome to the forum.

Here is a HP Knowledge Base article that will tell you what to consider when upgrading the video card: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Gaming-Knowledge-Base/Upgrade-Video-Card/ta-p/7481981

You stated the two main concerns: 1) length of the card and 2) the wattage required to operate it properly.  There should be enough space to allow for good airflow. This is extremely important with the new high power cards because they develop so much heat.

Here is the card you mentioned at Newegg: https://www.newegg.com/sapphire-radeon-rx-5600-xt-11296-05-20g/p/N82E16814202372?nm_mc=AFC-RAN-COM&c...

It states that the length is 9.07" and 4.82" wide.  It requires a PSU with a minimum of 450W and uses 160W.  Your 400W PSU will not be enough to operate it properly.

The motherboard in your computer is HP proprietary.  It has a 4-pin power connector instead of the standard 24-pin ATX power connector.This means that you will have to buy the upgrade from HP.  The only PSU they have is 500W (L05757-800).  Here is a  Power Supply Cross-Reference Chart to show you where I got the information: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Knowledge-Base/Power-Supply-Cross-Reference-for-specific-model...

Your exact model is not on the chart, but any of the PSU's in the 690 series will work.

Here is a PSU Power Calculator: https://www.newegg.com/tools/power-supply-calculator/?nm_mc=AFC-RAN-COM&cm_mmc=AFC-RAN-COM&utm_mediu...

You can use it to determine if the 500W PSU will be enough to operate the video card properly.

Please click the Thumbs up + button if I have helped you and click Accept as Solution if your problem is solved.

I am not an HP Employee!!
Intelligence is God given. Wisdom is the sum of our mistakes!!
HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply. The main thing is that it will fit. I am almost certain i do not need to upgrade the power supply. This model actually has as an option by HP to upgrade to a RTX 2060 card which actually pulls more watts than the card that I will purchase. I know it states the min watts at 450 watts but that is very conservative. All the testing that i have reviewed on this card shows that it runs well under 200 watts even under a heavy load. Since HP has an option to actually purchase a GTX 2060 with this model and the same 400 watt power I don't see this as being an issue with the power supply. 

thank you again for the reply

HP Recommended

You are welcome, @gg63!

HP has their motherboards and other components made to work together in each model.  Therefore, the video card in your model may have a reduced wattage requirement to allow them to use a 400W PSU.  They are not necessarily the same as a retail version like you would be installing.  I know this from years of working with HP computers on these Forums.  You are much better off to test the wattage required using the PSU Calculator that I furnished.  If it states that the 400W PSU is sufficient, then I say go with it.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for all your help on this. I did go through the PSU calculator and it came up with 351 watts recommended. The amd radeon rx 5600 xt actually uses less watts than the rx 580 which is remarkable. I did have one other question. When I went onto the hp website and brought up the specifications on my model hp  690-0024 is shows a 6 pin connector for the RX-580 graphics card? But on the information sheet you provided it shows the RX-580 with a 8 pin connector. The sapphire pulse radeon rx 5600 xt does have a 8 pin connector. If it is a 6 pin connector on my current unit it appears to show the PSU with a 6 pin and a separate 2 pin? If that is the case i believe that I can still connect the new amd radeon 5600 xt using both the 6 pin connector along with the 2 pin from the power supply? I really think this maybe the most efficient GPU for my computer since it actually uses less power but with much better performance.

thank you again for all your support

Gary

HP Recommended

You are very welcome, @gg63!

The 351W is close to the maximum that your PSU will provide.  It may work without problems, however.  I provided another option with the 500W PSU if necessary.  I would be interested in hearing the outcome.

The 6+2-pin is combined to make an 8-pin connector.  This is how most of the 8-pin connectors are on all PSU's.  You sound like you have thought through this process very carefully.  I hope everything works as planned.

Good luck!

HP Recommended

Once I get the new GPU and install it I will let you know the results. I really appreciate all your help in getting the information and resources.  I had a separate question for possibly later upgrading the CPU. Currently we have a AMD Ryzen 5 2400g unit which actually is a capable unit and we may not need to upgrade it later. What I understand is HP states that it can be only upgraded to at Ryzen 7  2700 series model which is rated at 65 watts with the motherboard we have. There is a newer Ryzen 7  3700x model that also is rated at 65 watts with the same socket but it is my understanding the the motherboard is not compatible with Ryzens 3rd generation. Do you think HP may later be able to push a bios update  to allow it to run with the newer Ryzen 7 3700x series? It maybe just an issue with the motherboard not being compatible.

Gary

HP Recommended

@gg63, you are very welcome!

I would certainly appreciate hearing how things work out with the new card using your current PSU, Gary!

You are correct that the fastest processor compatible with the motherboard is the Ryzen 7 2700.  HP normally will not develop a BIOS/UEFI update simply for the purpose of upgrading the processor.  They sell many different models and have a motherboard capable of running the 3700X.

While HP accommodates we who like to upgrade in some of their models, their major business is realistically selling new computers! 😉

HP Recommended

After I install the new card I will definitely let you know how it all works out.

Gary

HP Recommended

@gg63 

You are welcome, Gary.  I would appreciate hearing the outcome!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.