Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0067c
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My PC suddenly started freezing at random times.  No response from mouse or keyboard or CTRL ALT Delete.  I have completed several recommended fixes, including, but not limited to, Full virus scan, Command Prompt: sfc /scannow (which resulted in a file or files being fixed) updated Windows 10 to current version, updated BIOS, Windows Update says my drivers are up to date (although there are 4 drivers listed under optional updates), and turning off Sleep and Hibernate options. 

One of the suggestions was to check for errant scheduling of Defrag in the Task Scheduler.  In doing so, I was unable to find Defrag scheduled, but I did get the message, "The selected task ....... no longer exists. Select refresh to update." 12 times.  11 of them appear to be related to a NiViDia Ge Force device which I do not have in this computer.  The 12th had to do with "HP Health Check".   Selecting Refresh simply repeated the 12 messages.

Could this issue with the Task Scheduler be causing the system freeze?  If so, what you suggest.  If not, what else could be the cause. 

It "seems like" most of the freezes occur when the computer is idle.  

I have tried to sound computer literate, but I am only marginally so.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thank you for any assistance you can offer.

Don West

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

Did you updated the bios from windows update? I am experiencing the same issues. The bios version that is giving me problems is version f.57. No way to roll back.

DO NOT RUN THE RECOVERY DISK AND DO NOT FORMAT THE PC AND START A NEW FRESH WINDOWS 10 SETUP.

I try it and the pc freezes during the setup procedure. I was lucky that i had the old HD with the old windows 10 disconnected from the pc when I upgraded to an ssd drive. I was able to boot windows with the old hd and I was able to clone the drive back again to the ssd.

On mine the freezes are very random and not necessarily when is idle.  One time even dragging the mouse to the windows START button freeze the computer. I believe is the bios. I believe it all happened to me when I select to update the firmware on that optional driver section of windows 10 update.

If a new bios is release and it fix this I never going to update the bios in my life again. If the bios is working DON'T FIX IT.

HP Recommended

Hi Windsoldier,

YES, I loaded f.57 shortly before this all started, so it looks like this is the problem.

I would like to ask about a couple of anomalies I encountered.

1. After I posted my issue, the HP Support module took me to a side where I could update my BIOS.  Here is the very strange part.  The site wanted to auto-detect my system.  It said, "The PC you are currently using does not match the PC you have selected.  To detect drivers for the PC you have selected, initiate detection from that PC or click on "All Drivers" below and download the drivers you need."

I do not know why, but the PC I was using was EXACTLY the one I selected to get drivers according to my HP Support App.  However, neither of the drivers suggested by the site was f.57.  So which was wrong?  Did the BIOS support page incorrectly detect my PC?  If so, is that why I received a message from HP or Windows  saying I should update my BIOS to f.57??  OR is the HP-Support App on my PC incorrectly Identifying my PC?  The HP Support app says my PC is "HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-0067c".  Windows says my PC is an "HP Pavilion Gaming Desktop 690-00xx".  I don't know if this "xx" makes any difference it what BIOS my PC should have. 

Is the BIOS a PC should be using determined by the model of the motherboard or something else.

Where I am going with this is: I or we downloaded the wrong BIOS, is there a chance we could overwrite it with the correct one?  (On of the two BIOS which were suggested instead of f.57 had the number of my motherboard associated with it.)  The 2 BIOS are f.55 Rev.A for SSID 8433 and f.33 Rev.A for SSID 8436.  My Board is 8433.

2. My other anomaly is that my PC presently is only freezing when it is idle.  I am in the habit of turning it on and going to do something else while it boots up.  It is often frozen when I return, especially if I am gone for 30 minutes or so.  Today I turned on Pandora in the morning and left it running for 5 hours or more.  It did not freeze during that time.  This makes me wonder about the Task Scheduler and the errors in its task list.   Perhaps it only attempts to run one of them when it has been idle for some period and when it encounters an error, that causes the system to freeze.  I would be interested to know if you have errors in your task scheduler.

3. Something else that seems odd revolves around Skyrim and OneDrive.  Before this started, I upgraded OneDrive to a terabyte.  Skyrim does an auto-save whenever your character changes locations.  At the same time, it deletes the most recent auto-save done before this one.  One-Drive stops Skyrim to announce that a file has been deleted.  It is easy to restart the game with nothing lost, but very annoying.   Since this freeze issue started, it does not stop the game every time, just sometimes.  ??

If you think none of these are likely to help with the issue, please let me know.

Thanks,

Don West, AKA Windy Bill

HP Recommended

I dont think it have anything to do with the task scheduler. At first I was like you it happened while idle, so I thought it has something to be related with something that was doing in the background. I even remove indexing and still froze. But when I saw that it was also freezing while using the computer i knew it was not something that was running in background.

I also experience from time to time that the computer will not freezing for a period of 24 hours but eventually at some point it will freeze.

The freeze also happened ALWAYS when running windows setup there is a point that says JUST A MOMENT and you see the points going round and round and then the points freeze. Run these about 5 times with the same result.

The freeze also happened if you run the recovery usb stick. Right when the login screen appear that says Administrator it freeze in that process. Run this about 3 times and the same result.

HP Recommended

I have the same problem with the F.57 BIOS. In my case 90% of the time my PC freezes during shut down/restart with the spinning circle stopping and all I can do is hold the power button down. I have had a few times where it happened on the login screen too but that's rare, never while I'm logged in and browsing, gaming, etc. I haven't figured out a way I can rollback the BIOS. If I try to revert the BIOS to the previous version which in my case is F.41 it says it's unable to open BIOS signature file.

I have asked on other places too, tenforums (no replies for awhile on that unfortunately) and reddit (proven to be useful with other people confirming the same problem on HP PCs), look up my name on those places to find me.

Also asked on here too: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Operating-Systems-and-Recovery/Can-t-rollback-BIOS-version-fro...:

HP Recommended

Hi Madpoli,

Please do me a favor, go to the search window and type "Task Scheduler" and open the app.  Please let me know whether you get 1 or more error windows saying, "The selected task, 'Some task name (a long serial number)' no longer exists.  To see the current tasks, click Refresh."

I am exploring my theory that the BIOS, f.57, somehow scrambles or deletes some of the tasks.  And that the randomness is a result of different tasks being deleted on different PC.  And that this causes the OS to freeze whenever it attempts to execute a deleted task.

Thanks for any info you can share.

HP Recommended

Windy-Bill if I was able to give you that information I would but I already disconnected all the cables from my computer and connect everything to my wife old Dell laptop. For now the HP computer is a paper weight brick. I use the HP computer to work from home and I can't work with a computer that constantly freeze. I will continue monitoring the HP webpage to see if they release a new bios. Not sure when this will happen or if it is going to ever happen.

HP Recommended

If you mean when I first open the program without navigating to anything, I didn't get any errors in that case.

HP Recommended

Hi Madpoli,

Sorry I was unclear about what I was asking, but I no longer think it is the source of the issue.

HP Recommended

CROSS POST ACROSS THREADS

I did contact support a few days ago. It was definitely a cold handoff to support because the team has no idea what is happening, or will not acknowledge it. Despite this clearly being an error caused by HP, they will not provide any support outside of paying for technical support. My PC is out of warranty, but I have trouble with this concept of paying for help on an issue that HP created. No components of the PC are broken or require repair/replacement due to use or age. It's simply been fed a faulty HP bios which is causing the PC to hard freeze multiple times a day. Is there another avenue for help? Otherwise I have a computer that I cannot use. I've always felt good about the HP brand and have had a long history with its products. Disappointing.

I replied to my DM from support with the following.

This seems to be a very widespread issue impacting enterprise, commercial, and personal users. This issue must be impacting hundreds if not thousands of customers' machines. At this point I would ask you to please escalate this issue. There are already 6 threads that I could find in the community speaking to this exact issue. I'm sure that there are considerably more posts from less tech savvy customers/users. Not to mention the customers in the wild that have no idea what is happening or think to check HP's community forum for help.

Here are the 6 so far:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Desktop-Boot-and-Lockup/Computer-is-freezing-after-Bios-Update/m-p/860...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.