Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
The HP Community is where owners of HP products, like you, volunteer to help each other find solutions.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 13 late 2019
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have been using the HP Spectre x360 13 2018 model with HP Omen Accelerator eGPU without any issues. Now I have bought HP Spectre x360 13 late 2019 model and I am struggling to connect the new 2019 model to the HP Omen Accelerator.

When I plug it in the HP Omen Accelerator, the accelerator turns on for a few seconds and then turns off and this cycle is repeating. Sometimes the accelerator seems to connect and the laptop starts charging, but after a few seconds, the laptop freezes and needs to be forcefully restarted.

I am wondering if there are any special drivers or updates that I need to get HP Omen Accelerator working with the late 2019 model or is the accelerator not compatible with that laptop?

If the latter is the case, are there any updates of the firmware or drivers planned to introduce support for this in the future?

13 REPLIES 13
HP Recommended

@Klemen63 

What EXACTLY is your HP Spectre x360 13 late 2019 ?  Please use the following instructions to find out the model/product of your machine:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c03754824

Please do NOT post its Serial number (s/n).

Please note:  HP Omen Accelerator eGPU requires Thunderbolt port.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

My model is HP Spectre x360 13-aw0003nn, I have an older 2018 model too and it works with this older model.

Will Omen Accelerator receive any updates for compatibility with newer models or was support for this product dropped?

HP Recommended

@Klemen63 

Machine has 2 USB 3.1 Gen 2 Type-C™ with Thunderbolt™ 3 ports therefore it should support HP Omen Accelerator. I can't find newer firmware for Thunderbolt™ 3

https://support.hp.com/sk-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-spectre-13-aw0000-x360-convertible-pc-series/291...

Please try the latest BIOS on the above link and hope this helps

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

This did not resolve the issue. What have I tried so far:

• Updating BIOS
  • Reinstalling Windows and trying from a fresh install
  • Installing all software provided on HP Omen Accelerator setup instructions: https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c05573720
  • Updating the firmware of HP Omen Accelerator from my second 2018 model Spectre x360 which can properly connect
  • Tried both thunderbolt ports but neither works
HP Recommended

I also have the same issue with my new HP Spectre x360 13-aw0031ng. When will they fix there drivers for the omen accelerator?

HP Recommended

@04M04
Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details:

• What is the exact issue with the HP Omen Accelerator?
  • Did you make any changes to the settings of your PC prior to the issue?
  • What are the troubleshooting steps you have tried so far?

Keep me posted for further assistance.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Echo_Lake Thank you for answering.

I have the exact same issues as @Kemen63 in the first post. but with the difference that I used a 13-aw0031ng. 

When I connect the Notebook to the Accelerator, the Accelerator tries to connect and shuts down after a few seconds. This happens in a loop until in looks like he connects but then the Notebook gets frozen. At this point a hard reboot and disconnect from the Accelerator is necessary to use the Notebook again.

I had also tried to install all the drivers from the HP Omen driver and software support page from HP, but i can't install the Thunderbolt 3 Firmware Update for Hosts of OMEN Accelerator because of a artificial driver incompatibility .

https://support.hp.com/de-de/drivers/selfservice/omen-by-hp-ga1-1000-accelerator-shell/15776606/mode...

04M04_1-1579997156947.png04M04_0-1579997081299.png

I have no problems with the HP Omen Accelerator and the older gen of HP Spectre x360's. Also I have no trouble to use the HP Omen Accelerator with Thunderbolt 3 compatible notebooks from other brands like Dell or Acer.

In my eye's this is very disappointing because I get my 13-aw0031ng from HP because of multiple hardware failures with my old HP Spectre x360 from 2018.

So I hope there will be a solution in the near future. (Hopefully a simple driver update, because that's the reason for all this trouble. 😉 )

Ps.: I have tried to push the reset button on the back of the Accelerator for 30 seconds, and it didn't worked. 

I also tried to connect the Omen to my Notebook without the GPU build in. And I also tried to push the reset button without the GPU in. My BIOS an all other drivers from 13-aw0031ng and the Omen are up-to-date.

And I also did not set any different settings for my new 3 days old HP Spectre x360 13-aw0031ng, since working with the Omen, because it never worked with my new replacement Notebook from HP. It worked on my old one and also works still on other Notebooks from different brands like Dell and Acer.

Sry for my direct writing style. I really appreciate your help.

HP Recommended

I have bought myself a thunderbolt dock as I needed two monitors and HP Omen Accelerator did not work and what I found out is that if I daisy chain HP Spectre 13 x360 late 2019 -> Dock -> HP Omen Accelerator, it is detected and works, but there is much worse GPU lag due to this, there is mouse lag, and many random crashes happen, BitLocker is randomly open on boot and many other issues happen so not a real solution, but just an observation.

HP Recommended

This is a very interesting observation and it confirms my assumption that this is a driver issue.

It could be a timing issue in the connection process in the firmware of the Accelerator or the Thunderbolt 3 driver for example.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.