Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Envy 4520
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Just bought a HP Envy 4520 wireless printer and I'm having problems printing.

The printer is connected and all software installed as per the guide from HP. I have no problems finding the printer in my network. I can also use the HP program to scan, print a diagnostics page etc.

However, I can't print from some programs. Trying to print from MS Word I can see that the document is sent to the print queue but nothing happens. When I try printing from MS Outlook I get an error message saying "The printer is not ready".When I try to print from MS Excel, I get an error message containing multiple suggestions for the error. (not enough memory, network problem, loose cable etc.)

When I try to print from Mozilla Firefox, on some web pages (like this one) I get another error message; "There was an error during the print process". Other web pages I won't get an error message but after the print job is sent to the queue, nothing happens.

Internet Explorer though, is working. I can print a webpage without any issues. Adobe Acrobat Pro is neither a problem. I can print the pdf's without any issues.

So, what might be the issue here? Settings that need to be adjusted?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello, @kebhen

This is another way of giving full permission which has helped another customer with the same issue. You could give this a try:

Press the "Windows key" + "r" to get the "Run" window open - Type %temp% and press ok.

Note what the full path is  (in my case, it was "C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local\Temp")

Go up one level in the directory tree

Right click on the temp directory (in my case, "C:\Users\*****\AppData\Local"), and select "Properties"

Go to the Security tab, and select "Users" from the group or user names

Click "Edit"

Select Users, then check the box by "Full Control"

Click "Apply"

You may get a whole bunch of error messages about inheritance, just hold down the Enter key until they all go away.

Click "Cancel" a couple of times to dismiss the properties boxes

Go forth and print from any application and check.

Let me know if that helps!

Cheers 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee

View solution in original post

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

Hey @bijjer,

Welcome to the HP Support Forums! I hope you enjoy your stay here.

I see that you are having some issues with printing from your Windows 10 PC to your Envy 4520 e-All-In-One Printer. I can help you with that.

First, the printer is printing from some programs and not others. This means that whatever the issue is, it is related to the software on your PC or your operating system. To troubleshoot this:

1. Close all other programs you have open.
  2. Remove the USB cable if it is connected to the PC.
  3. In your Search bar type in Printers and open Devices and Printers.
  4. Right-click on any icons of your printer listed.
  5. Click on Remove Device.
  6. Repeat for any other printers listed.

Now if you removed the USB cable previously connect it. If not, click on Add Printer, select your printer from the list, and follow the prompts to add your printer back.

At this point you should be able to print from all programs. If you are not, please let me know and I'll be able to assist you further.

Please let me know if this resolves your issues or if you have any other questions. Otherwise, have a great week!

If this resolves your issue, then please help other users find this post by clicking on Accept as Solution on my post.

If you appreciate my help, then please let others know by clicking on the thumbs up icon below my post.

~DocCottle
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” below the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.

Please click the Thumbs up icon below to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi Docdottle.

Unfortunately your solution wouldn't fix my problem. I've managed so far with printing only PDF:s instead but also that is sometimes a problem now.

What I found out is that when I added the printer on another computer, it works just fine. My desktop is an ASUS PC running Windows 10 64 bit.

My laptop however is an HP ProBook 450, also running Windows 10 64 bit. All I did was add the printer to my HP laptop and it works just fine.

When I have a look in the log for adding/installing the printer i can see that on my ASUS the printer has been installed with "hpygid17.inf" only. On my laptop it has been installed with "pmhpcl1.inf" and "hpygid17.inf". No matter what I try to do (running the HP Scan Doctor Tool, uninstalling, reinstalling, removing, adding, with USB, only on WiFi without USB, downloading full drivers from the HP website and installing those etc.) my ASUS desktop won't install the "pmhpcl1.inf" drivers.

What are the "pmhpcl1.inf" good for? And why won't these install on one computer automatically? I can't find any references online for this driver either.

HP Recommended

As an update, I've no problem installing the printer on my wife's MacBook Pro as well. It works like a charm once connected.

So the issue seem to be my ASUS desktop which won't allow me to correctly install the printer with the correct drivers. Any suggestions on how to solve that issue?

HP Recommended

I am having the same issues with Windows 10, will print photo just fine from photo app or HP AIO remote, but from printer properties won't "print a test page," nor any other documents like from Word.  I can only print PDF's documents from HP AIO remote (and photos).  Printer queue seems to get the print request but just quickly disappears with doing anything.  Removing device, uninstalling and reinstalling doesn't do anything to change the problems. Please help.

HP Recommended

I have almost identical symptoms:

Receive the same error messages from Microsoft products

Can print from PDF when its convienient for the printer

Able to print from HP All-in-one app on my phone

Able to print from other computers in the house

I have an HP Spectre (irony of two HP products not being able to operate together).

Only difference I can understand is my laptop is a work computer controlled by my IT domain policies.

I have tried to re-install the printer drivers with my local Administrator account and had no luck.

Hopefully someone can figure this out...

HP Recommended

@nlindstr

Let me take a moment to thank you for posting on the HP Support Forums. 

I understand that you have an HP ENVY 4520 All-in-One Printer and it prints fine from all other computers in the network but the HP Spectre laptop. Not worry, I'll do my best to help you. 

The evidence indicates towards some settings that are blocking the printer from printing. I recommend you to perform the following steps to isolate the issue and arrive at a fix: 

Please disable the UAC (User Account Control) in Windows by following the below steps:

• Press Windows Key+X on your keyboard to display the Tools Menu and select Control Panel. Or, right-click the lower left corner of your monitor to display the Tools Menu and select Control Panel.
  • Type UAC in the search field in the upper right corner of the window.
  • Click Change User Account Control settings in the search results.
  • Then do one of the following:
    • To turn UAC off, drag the slider down to Never notify, and click OK.
    • To turn UAC on, drag the slider up to the desired level of security, and click OK.
  • You may be prompted to confirm your selection or enter an administrator password.
  • Reboot your computer for the change to take effect.

Please try to print and check for the results. If the issue persists then I suggest you to uninstall and reinstall the program through which the printer does not print. 

I hope this information helps. Let me know what happens. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

Yes this works but I am uncomfortable leaving my operating system wide open to changes from other programs. Is there a way to add an exception to the UAC settings or do I have to return this printer on warrenty?

HP Recommended

Hello, @kebhen

Thanks for reaching out!

You can try to give full permissions for just the printer folder to try and fix the issue. Here are the steps:

• Press the "Windows logo key" + "r" to get “Run" - Type "spool" and press ok.
  • Right-click on "PRINTERS" - Select "Properties"
  • Select "Security" tab. You will find few entries like "Administrators" and "users", click on "Edit" and give "Full permission" to all the entries. Save / apply the settings.
  • Go to "Devices and printers", right-click on the new printer that you installed and select "Printer properties".
  • Select "Security" tab. You will find few entries like "Administrators" and "users", click on "Edit" and give "Full permission" to all the entries. Save / apply the settings.
  • Restart your computer and then try to print.

Please let me know if this resolves the issue, or if you require further assistance.

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended

Dvortex

Tried this but, no joy.

You can try to give full permissions for just the printer folder to try and fix the issue. Here are the steps:

• Press the "Windows logo key" + "r" to get “Run" - Type "spool" and press ok.
  • Right-click on "PRINTERS" - Select "Properties"
  • Select "Security" tab. You will find few entries like "Administrators" and "users", click on "Edit" and give "Full permission" to all the entries. Save / apply the settings. I could change all the entries except one "CREATOR OWNER" kept reverting to its original state.
  • Go to "Devices and printers", right-click on the new printer that you installed and select "Printer properties".
  • Select "Security" tab. You will find few entries like "Administrators" and "users", click on "Edit" and give "Full permission" to all the entries. Save / apply the settings. Changed all of these
  • Restart your computer and then try to print. Tried but, no joy. Had to turn off UAC

Thanks for the try
Kebhen

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.