Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended

I know how to change the ePrint addresss on my new printer, but after a couple of issues with local network setup which required me to factory default the printer after having setup a memorable ePrint address, I can now no longer change the default assigned address to anything.  When trying to change the address, I get an error saying that the submitted address isn't valid (yes it is - no spaces, between 6 and 30 characters, alphas only), then I'm kicked out to the HP Smart account login page.

The printer is an HP Envy Pro 6420, firmware version is VASPLSPP1N001.2014B.00, and I have the same issue from the following clients:

Windows 10 Home / Firefox & Microsoft Edge

MacOS 10.15.6 / Firefox

IOS 13.6.1 / Safari

Web services are on and connected at the printer, and I can print by emailnig the (currently complex) default assigned address.  Can anyone help?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@redloop, Welcome to HP Support Community!

The custom HP ePrint email address might still be assigned to the printer on another HP account.

• If you have access to the other account, remove the printer from that account, and then add it to your account. Do not turn off Web Services during the transfer or the custom address cannot be used again for six months.

• If you do not have access to the other account, create a new custom email address. You can reuse the previous email address in six months.

I hope that answers your concern adequately. Let me know!

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply.   Disclaimer: I'm frustrated, and the following is not intended to offend.

I'm using a different custom email address to the one I have associated with my old printer, and I believe it to be unique enough that it shouldn't be in use with another user.  To be as sure as possible that I'm not trying to use an address used by another user, I've tried several different variations on the theme with the same results. 

If I try to use the address that I know is already assigned to my other printer, I get an error saying that the address is in use, so the fact that the error I get for the "new" addresses is that they are not valid indicates to me that they are not duplicates.

I have double checked the validity criteria and the address I'm trying to use meets them.

I did manage to find a post from a couple of years ago from someone with the exact same problem, in which the resolution was privately messaged to the person with the issue - which is less than helpful in a help community.

So in summary:

1 - this is a new printer

2 - I set it up with a new memorable eprint address successfully initially, but

3 - because the overally setup process is so convoluted and HP printers are so picky about the wireless networks they will and wont connect to reliably, I had to factory reset the **bleep** thing, twice. Then

4 - I tried to set up eprint with the same address as in step two, and got the "in use" error, so

5 - i've since tried several variations on the new address, which result in an "invalid address" error and being logged out of the hp smart web pages.

6 - The same behaviour happens regardless of which hardware platform or browser i'm using

7 - Judging by the number of similar issues posted on this forum, I'm not alone.

8 - ePrint actually works fine using the randomly assigned address from HP so the local setup is fine

Overall, the move from "connected" to "smart" has been terrible from my experience.  My old Envy printer, which lasted 7 years before failing, I remember as being simple to set up and get working.  I'm an IT professional and it's taken me 2 weeks thus far to get the new printer semi-stable on my network, that every other device has absolutely no issue connecting to.  Even now for no apparent reason the thing goes offline, even though the network connected light stays on.  I had to set up an insecure separate SSID with all kinds of different settings to the main network, just to get the printer visible to the other devices in the environment, and then do a bunch of manual stuff like mac address filtering and ssid broadcast disabling to try an add back some level of security.  For a device marketed as "keeping families productive" it's been a nightmare.

I bought HP on the basis of several years of trouble free service from the previous printer.  Based on this experience I won't do that again.  Try not to be tempted to respond with a standard message about reuse of addresses not being possible and all the stuff that is self evident from reading through posts on here.   The issue is somewhere in HP's back end server setup for ePrint addresses.  The printer is a few days away from going back in the box for a refund and a change to another manufacturer.  Over to you.

HP Recommended

@redloop

We shall escalate this issue to the concerned team.

Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.