Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy 6455
iOS

Bought the printer after reading many reviews of difficult connection issues. After two tries of ‘No Internet’ windows, I was able to successfully connect to my iPhone 12 Pro Max.

I repeated the SAME steps on my wife’s IPhone 7- no luck. I kept getting the No Internet pop up window- even though she can SEE the printer, the app will NOT let her sign in.

I tried the same steps with a much older iPad mini we had- got in no problem. Same steps on my windows PC- some hiccups, but now, no problem.

So I now have three of four devices able to successfully connect and run the app on the same printer and it’s very annoying why that iPhone 7 cannot connect to the internet- even though it is.

And to confirm- both iPhones are running the same iOS (14.3), the iPad is running the latest for its model (12.5.1) and the windows PC is running whatever it’s meant to. 
Question is- with ALL security and access permissions exactly the same on my wife and my phones- what is the problem with this smart app?!?

Everything I have found online tells me to reset router or check wireless or even set AirPrint- I don’t need to do any of that if it already works on ONE iPhone! All I’m trying to do is sign in on her phone to operate the printer. 

10E231ED-A542-4D25-B5C5-1C8AE7B87A9A.jpeg

And I’m not looking for ‘workarounds’ by hitting the IP address because why would I go through 8 steps on her phone to just use a printer. Very frustrating experience. 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@336KoP, Welcome to HP Support Community!

There are two options you can try here, first is the AirPrint option and the second is connecting the printer using WiFi Direct.

The documents below can help you with it-

HP Printers - Printing from an iPhone, iPad, or iPod Touch

HP Printers - Printing with Wi-Fi Direct

Also, refer to the document HP Printers - Install and Use the HP Smart App to resolve HP Smart related issues.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No- this doesn't help me actually. 

1- Printing from iPhones/ iPads- this is a 'generic' link that teaches novices how to print from an Apple device. As I have mentioned before, TWO of my 4 devices are Apple and working as expected. So it's not like I don't know how it works.

2- Printing from Wifi Direct- also, does NOT work and only addresses the PRINTING part. If I walk up to the Envy 6455 and want to SCAN something, then Wifi Direct does NOT work. So now, it does NOT serve its purpose, right?

3- Referring me to the generic HP Smart lin does not help me either since, as I mentioned in my first post, I have ALREADY connected a few devices. 

To clarify, my question is "Why does the smart app work on one iPhone but not another?" They are identical in settings, iOS and security preferences. As my screenshot shows, it doesn't even LET me get to a login screen on the iPhone- so it's not like it's an issue of not supporting concurrent logins on multiple devices. 

So, sorry, but I will NOT hit ACCEPTED SOLUTION and I will NOT be giving you kudos for solving anything.

Looking forward to a response. Thank you.

HP Recommended

@336KoP

If the mobile devices have cellular data enabled, disable and try printing.

Also, check for any updates on mobile devices. Restart the mobile devices and the printer > print.

Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates. Refer to the document HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

Try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.