Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Envy Photo 7855
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Following a momentary power outage, my ENVY 7855 printer has problem.--get error "cannot communicate" as with Print and Scan Doctor or "cannot find printer" in other diagnostics. I have removed printer (in Control panel) and added, downloaded new drivers etc, etc. I have followed suggestions of TEJ1602 ( an HP employee) to no avail. Hardware problem?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@Luke81, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I see that you are no longer able to get the computer and the printer to communicate after the power outage, let us try to isolate and resolve the issue-

Restart the devices-

1. Turn the printer off, and then wait 10 seconds.
  2. Disconnect the printer power cord from the printer.
  3. Turn off the computer or the device you are trying to print from.
  4. Connect the printer power cord to the printer, and then turn on the printer.
  5. Disconnect the power cord from your wireless router, and then wait 10 seconds.
  6. Reconnect the power cord to the router. Wait until Internet service is restored. Internet service is interrupted while the router is off.
  7. Turn on the computer.

Now, Use HP Print and Scan Doctor

Download HP Print and Scan Doctor and run the program. It will automatically diagnose and fix any printer connectivity issues. 

For more information, go to https://support.hp.com/us-en/topic/printscandoctor

If the computer cannot find the printer, check if the wireless light on the printer is solid or blinking. 

If it is solid, tap on the wireless button and get the printer's IP address. Now, open a browser window on the computer > enter the IP address > enter. Check if you are able to access the printer EWS.

If it is blinking, the printer might have lost the network. Reconfigure the printer by running the wireless set up wizard.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Luke81, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I see that you are no longer able to get the computer and the printer to communicate after the power outage, let us try to isolate and resolve the issue-

Restart the devices-

1. Turn the printer off, and then wait 10 seconds.
  2. Disconnect the printer power cord from the printer.
  3. Turn off the computer or the device you are trying to print from.
  4. Connect the printer power cord to the printer, and then turn on the printer.
  5. Disconnect the power cord from your wireless router, and then wait 10 seconds.
  6. Reconnect the power cord to the router. Wait until Internet service is restored. Internet service is interrupted while the router is off.
  7. Turn on the computer.

Now, Use HP Print and Scan Doctor

Download HP Print and Scan Doctor and run the program. It will automatically diagnose and fix any printer connectivity issues. 

For more information, go to https://support.hp.com/us-en/topic/printscandoctor

If the computer cannot find the printer, check if the wireless light on the printer is solid or blinking. 

If it is solid, tap on the wireless button and get the printer's IP address. Now, open a browser window on the computer > enter the IP address > enter. Check if you are able to access the printer EWS.

If it is blinking, the printer might have lost the network. Reconfigure the printer by running the wireless set up wizard.

Keep me posted for further assistance.

Please click “Accepted Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution. Click the “Kudos/Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

To TEJ1602...Power cycling suggestions worked Saturday morn, although had tried those several times previously without success. Now another power glitch Sunday, and back to square one. After recycling power in your suggested order, running Print and Scan Doctor finds the printer, but when click on "next", gives error "cannot communicate." Tried sequence several times. I went to "settings" to insure both computer and printer are  connected to the same network. I then entered the ip address of the printer (192.168.0.14) into the browser (chrome), but it could never connect, so would time out. I am past 80,  although have worked with computers for over 55 years, and am full time caregiver with very few free time blocks. Very frustrated. Appreciate your help.

HP Recommended

@Luke81

Thanks for replying!

You may need to instead go into your router settings and try changing the channel manually. Experiment with different channels to see which one works best.

Update the printer firmware

Download available firmware updates from the HP website

With the printer on and connected to the computer, go to HP Customer Support - Software and Driver Downloads, and then identify your printer. Look for and install any available firmware updates. Refer to the document HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware

Assign manual IP to the printer

The steps on how to set a manual IP address can be found here.

For the DNS servers please use 8.8.8.8 for the Manual Preferred DNS Server and 8.8.4.4 for the Alternate DNS server. These are Google’s public DNS servers

Now, try printing.

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.