Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Do you need the WPS PIN to connect your printer? Click here for tips and tricks!
Check some of the most frequent questions about Instant Ink: HP INSTANT INK, HP+ PLANS: INK AND TONER.

Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs AND MORE.
HP Recommended
HP Smart App
iOS

Need to scan using my 5th Generation iPad from my HP Officejet Pro 8715. The printer and iPad IOS are all current and the HP Smart app is up to date.  (IOS 13.3.1).

I am using the Printer Scan button in the app. I can get it to preview the scan and I can even crop what I see.  After preview, I  can tap the blue button. It says scanning and I can hear the scanner doing it's back and forth, but it hangs up on the word scanning ... then eventually a note flashes very quickly that says there was a problem with the scanning.

If I try Preview again it says there is no scanner. I have to completely close the app and start again. 

I've already tried  removing the HP Smart from the iPad and reinstalling it .. but still the same results.

What do I need to get this working correctly?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi @jmcre8too

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you with the scanning issue. 

To better assist you - 

1.) How's the printer connected - Wireless or Wi-Fi Direct? 

2.) Does the printing works?

3.) Have you tried scanning from an alternate iOS or Android device? 

While you respond to that, try rebooting the router, printer and your iPad if connected through a Wireless connection and try these steps -

Update your iPad using these steps - Update your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch

Also, try updating the printer's firmware - HP Printers - Updating or Upgrading Printer Firmware 

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I solved one problem but created another. We changed from wireless to a network connection for the HP Officejet Pro  8710 . Now we can print from our iPhone and our iPad, but not from our laptops.  I just posted this on the HP Community, but it occurred to me that you might have some thoughts.

FYI .. everything is up to date: ALL Windows 10 and other software updates, BIOS update, latest version of HP Support Assistant, etc. 

POSTED MAY 12, 2020

I recently changed my HP Officejet Pro 8710 from wireless to be networked. The Ethernet cable goes from the printer into my ATT router. We can now print from our iPads and iPhone, but not from our laptops (HP Notebook NON85UA#ABA or Dell Inspiron 15-5000). The odd thing is that it sees the printer and can scan ..  but when trying to print it fails every time.

I tried to remove the printer and reinstall it .. that seems to have made it worse.

Can someone point me in the right direction.

HP Recommended

Hi @jmcre8too

Welcome to the HP Support Community. I'd be happy to assist you

Due to the current global COVID-19 situation, we're seeing an influx of customers coming in for support. We appreciate your patience.

1. Are you able to make copies using the printer?
  2.  What's the application you are trying to print from? Have you tried printing from a different application or devices? 

Use HP Print and Scan Doctor

Download HP Print and Scan Doctor and run the program. It will automatically diagnose and fix any printing issues. 

For more information, go to https://support.hp.com/us-en/topic/printscandoctor

Delete job files and restart

Reset your printing environment, delete print job files manually, and then restart both the computer and the printer.

• 1. Turn off the printer using the power button and then unplug the printer power cord from the power outlet.

• 2. In Windows, search for and open Services .

• 3. In the Services window, right-click Print Spooler, and then select Stop .

Service window the Print Spooler service selected from the Name list and the Stop selection called out.

• 4. After the service stops, close the Services window.

• 5. In Windows, search for and open C:WindowsSystem32SpoolPRINTERS.

• 6. Delete all files in the PRINTERS folder.

• 7. Shut down your computer.

• 8. Connect the printer power cord to the power outlet, and then turn on the printer.

• 9. Turn on the computer, and then try to print

Hope this helps! Keep me posted. 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.