Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Envy X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

My Laptop model is  hp-envy-x360-13-ag0035au.

Earlier the vega 8 was 1 GB of video memory but now it is having 2 GB memory.

Because of this I am facing problems with Ram Memory.

Only 6 GB is available to use.

Is there any way to limit the usage of Vega 8 memory to 1 GB ? I don't play games or use any video/photo editing software.

Also, is it possible to upgrade the ram from Authorized HP Service centre ?

Help Appreciated.

Ram.png

20 REPLIES 20
HP Recommended

@viditx,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I assure you I will try my best to get this sorted.

I checked the specifications of your computer and see that your computer supports up to 16GB of RAM and you can go ahead and upgrade the memory up to 16GB. Please refer to the below service guide for your computer for more information.

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c06027358

I recommend you follow the below steps to reduce the video dedicated memory.

Go to Start menu and click  Settings. Navigate to System and click Display on the left sidebar of the System Settings.

Scroll down the Display menu and click on the option Display adapter properties at the bottom of the box.

In a new pop up window, you will see the adapter type used on your system and other graphics information in the Adapter tab. Check the total amount of allocated space for the dedicated video RAM under Adapter information and you can change it according to your preference.

Method 2: Increase the dedicated video memory on your graphics card from BIOS

This is the recommended method to reallocate the memory of VRAM allocation. However, this doesn’t work for all the motherboards, and you may not be allowed to reallocate memory on your PC all by yourself. Still, you can try to change the BIOS settings and check if you have enough privilege to change the amount of dedicated video RAM on your PC.

Restart your PC and press the F10 key repeatedly during the bootup.

In the BIOS menu, go to Advanced Features or similar option.

Now click on video/ Graphics settings or VGA Share Memory Size. If you don’t find these options, look for a category with a similar option.

Adjust the option that best suits for your task. The default memory allocated to the GPU is usually 128MB. You can scale up or down the preallocated VRAM.

Save the changes and restart your system.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I went to Hp Care center, they told me the ram in Onboard. It cannot be upgraded.

Also I tried both the methods.

Method 1 -

I checked he total amount of allocated space for the dedicated video RAM under Adapter information but there's no option to change it.

Method 2-

There's no Advance options in Bios.

Kindly help.

HP Recommended

@viditx,

It is great to have you back and your patience is greatly appreciated.

If the above steps didn't do the trick then the memory is system managed and there is no other option to change it.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi, I have the same type of Laptop but need to know is this laptop comes with a soldered ram with a single SODIMM Slot?  is it not then HP Should help you upgrade your Ram or you can do at your own by buying an extra Ram. and it is true there is no option given to the user to adjust VRAM memory and shared graphics memory. This kind of Bad business strategy to push their customers to upgrade laptops. when 10 years back when I brought my first laptop then also have this option adjust Video ram according to requirement.

HP Recommended

@Soumitra_87 Welcome to HP Community!

Note: Please ensure the complete product name/number for a quicker response from the community, as we need to know what we are dealing with to provide an accurate solution: 

Click here for steps on finding the information we need!

Remember: Do not share any of your personal information such as serial, phone number, email ID, etc.

Once you provide the exact model name, I can help you with the details you need, so please help me, help you!

And good luck, have a happy new year.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Joining this thread. Have same issue. Want to reduce dedicate video memory down from current 2048MB. Ideally down to 512mb.

Sysinfo: HP ENVY X360 - 13-ar0062nr

As others have stated, I do not need 2gb dedicated from onboard soldered and un-upgradeable 8gb system memory. Windows uses 2.5gb from fresh boot, video dedicates 2gb, leaving me only 3.3gb as user.

HP Recommended

@snailmoresnail Greetings from the HP Community!

Here's everything you need to know about reducing the Video Memory on the device: 
(Similar information has been shared on this same thread: click here to verify)

That said, before trying out the methods to increase the VRAM, you need first to check how much dedicated video memory your graphics card has in Windows 10.

Go to Start menu and click  Settings. Navigate to System and click Display on the left sidebar of the System Settings.

Scroll down the Display menu and click on the option Display adapter properties at the bottom of the box.

In a new pop up window, you will see the adapter type used on your system and other graphics information in the Adapter tab. Check the total amount of allocated space for the dedicated video RAM under Adapter information

Increase the dedicated video memory on your graphics card from BIOS

This is the recommended method to reallocate the memory of VRAM allocation. However, this doesn’t work for all the motherboards, and you may not be allowed to reallocate memory on your PC all by yourself. Still, you can try to change the BIOS settings and check if you have enough privilege to change the amount of dedicated video RAM on your PC.

Restart your PC and press the BIOS key – F2, F5, F8 or Del key repeatedly during the bootup.

In the BIOS menu, go to Advanced Features or similar option.

Now click on video/ Graphics settings or VGA Share Memory Size. If you don’t find these options, look for a category with a similar option.

Adjust the option that best suits for your task. The default memory allocated to the GPU is usually 128MB. You can scale up the preallocated VRAM to 256MB or 512 MB.

Save the changes and restart your system.

Increase the dedicated video memory on your graphics card using Registry Editor

Depending on the applications you run, the system automatically adjusts the amount of video RAM it needs. And thus the adapted information showing the amount of VRAM used on your graphics card is not always genuine. However, to run some applications, you will need more VRAM. In such a case, you can simply replica the amount of VRAM to substitute for the amount of VRAM your system needs to run the application. You are not increasing the value for real, but you scale up the amount of VRAM to a value to serve as a substitute for the memory requirements to start the game or an application.

Follow the below steps to reallocate RAM as VRAM for integrated Intel graphics cards.

Open Run and type regedit. Navigate to the following path:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Intel

Right-click on Intel folder. Choose New and click on Key. Name the key as GMM.

Select the new GMM folder on the left sidebar.

Right click on the right side of the Window and click on New from the drop-down menu.

Increase dedicated Video RAM in Windows 10

Choose the Dword (32-bit ) and name it as DedicatedSegmentSize.

Double click on the DedicatedSegmentSize and click on the radio button with option Decimal to set the base to Decimal.

Enter the number of megabytes of RAM you want to allocate as VRAM in value data. Make sure you type a number within the range from 0 to 512.

Save to apply the changes and Restart the system.

Check if this helps!

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Yes, that information has all been posted elsewhere. And just like the other posts it provides solution for INTEL GRAPHICS.

However, this question is for VEGA GRAPHICS.

Kindly provide a response which applies to VEGA GRAPHICS or please escalate this common complaint to higher tier for proper solution.

Thank you,

HP Recommended

@snailmoresnail I'm afraid the video memory as mentioned in the post is the only change you can make, everything else (such as the graphics card, CPU, etc) is system managed and cannot be changed or tweaked as such,

I hope you understand.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.