Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre X360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I am experiencing a battery swelling and over heating issue in my Spectre X360 15

Has anyone successfully gotten HP to fix these units? Why are they not part of the battery recall?

There is a fire hazard and poison hazard if a cell ruptures.

I plan on filing a complaint to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission on saferproducts.gov and I recommend anyone do the same if they are having this issue.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

@chuckgf8, Welcome to HP Support Community!

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details). 

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community. 

TEJ1602
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have been using my Spectre notebook the last 15 months, and suddenly noticed that the back is starting to pop early on. I didn't realise that the underlying battery is starting to swell until recently that the pop is bigger. 

I have a Care Pack bought that is still valid. The issue is I am not in the US currently and unable to travel back to the US in the next few months (due to the coronavirus). The agent on the phone kept on pushing to send the battery over to a 'friend' in the US and if ever this person visits Singapore (where I am currently) then he/she can bring the battery over. I had to explain many times that the issue is that travel is almost impossible right now. The easier solution would have been to ask for help with the HP Singapore office to at least have it checked - but the guy on the Care Pack line stated that this is not allowed (for I don't know what reason). 

What is my next recourse for this laptop? Should I just bin it? This is one $1500 laptop just down the drain. I've seen other posts comments on this forum on the same issue - but I don't understand why HP still would sell this laptop knowingly with this issue?

IMG_8033.jpgIMG_8034.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi - I am experiencing the same issue. 

And HP support does not help out even if I have a care pack bought!IMG_8033.jpgIMG_8034.jpg

HP Recommended

Hi @vodkacran, Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

I understand your concern and I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact.

Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/First-Time-Here-Learn-How-to-Post-and-More/How-To-Send-A-Private-Messa...

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

Have a great day! 

KUMAR0307
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@chuckgf8 I understand your concern and I will bring your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP.

Although, I'll need some private information from you in order to create a case for you.

Please look for a private message requesting additional information. 

Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers, case details, etc...).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

If the information I've provided was helpful, give us some reinforcement by clicking the "Accept as solution" on my public post, that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have repaired my own notebook using original HP parts.

This post is to let others know that there is an issue and if HP will not step up and add the Spectre to the list of recalled notebooks them the only option for your customers is to file a complaint with the Consumer Product Safety commission to let them make them do so 

HP Recommended

@chuckgf8 I understand your concern, which is why I've offered to escalate the case, once you provide the necessary details, I can have the concerned team involved, so we can work on your need, and I know you've got it handled now, but since you are concerned about others with the same issue, we can have that sorted with your help.

If you change your mind, send us a private message with the requested information and we'll help get this sorted.

Have a good day.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi Chuckgf8,

Yes specially in these days where due to the coronavirus I can't go out and stuck with this laptop  I can't use!!! This is really irritating. HP has known of this problem - I can see it in consumer safety reports - and they don't want to acknowledge. 

Hwo did you fix yours?

HP Recommended

I purchased a replacement battery here:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/928372-855-HP-11-55v-Battery-6C-84WH-3-64ah-LI-YB/143638392263?pageci=84f49...

And then I filed a complaint with the Consumer Product Safety Commission here:

https://www.saferproducts.gov/CPSRMSPublic/Incidents/ReportIncident.aspx

I received a call from HP about 30 days later and they reimbursed me for the cost of the battery.

The more complaints that are filed the more pressure HP will get to include our model in the ever growing battery recall they already have going.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.