Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy 15 - ae100nl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good morning to all users 🙂

I'm Italian, I would buy a new Envy 15 ae100nl but I need to know if in this model I can insert a M.2 SSD.

There is same model, ae106nl, same cpu, same gpu, same HDD... it is identical but it has plus M.2 SSD. (it costs 200€ more)

I think that the botherboard is the same, but I'm not sure, is there anyone that can confirm me this theory?

Is the slot, on ae106nl, mPCIex 4X or mSATA?

Thank you very much in advance

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yesterday I've bought it!! (ae100nl) :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

There is a slot!!! :OpenSmile:

DSC_0333__.jpg

Thank you SDF15!

View solution in original post

27 REPLIES 27
HP Recommended

Hello @-Giro-,

Thank you for visiting the HP Forums! A great place where you can find solutions for your issues, with help from the community!

I read your post about the SSD upgrade, and wanted to assist you!

Here is the Hard Drive information for both models:

Support for M.2 SATA storage (Port 0) (models with i7 processors and 4 GB discrete graphics memory only) 

Dual Storage Configurations (models with i7 processors and 4 GB discrete graphics memory only)

1TB (5400) 9.5mm + 256GB M.2 SATA SSD (TLC)

SSD configurations (TLC) (models with i7 processors and 4 GB discrete graphics memory only)

256 GB

One M.2 slot for SSD (models with i7 processors and 4 GB discrete graphics memory only

Source: HP ENVY Notebook PC Maintenance and Service Guide (Chapter 1, Page 1-2).

Please let me know if this information helps you resolve the issue by marking this post as  "Accept as Solution" , this will help others easily find the information they may be looking for.  Also, clicking the Thumbs up below is a great way to say thanks!

Have a great weekend!

SDF15
I work on behalf of HP

Please click “Accept as Solution ” on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution.
Click the Thumbs Up to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Thank you very much for reply SDF15!! 🙂

Your infos are good but they refer to the old models

New models in Italy are:

Notebook HP ENVY 15-ae100nl

and

Notebook HP ENVY 15-ae106nl

They have new CPU 6th generation Skylake i7-6500U and NVIDIA GeForce GTX 950M

The cpu socket and graphic card are changed and obviously also motherboard is changed from old models.

My question is if in these new models (like ae100nl) is possibile to add in future a M.2 SSD whitout buy an ae106nl (+200€).

I think that the motherboards are the same, both have a mPCIex (?) slot, but I really need of confirm.

I've not found documentation about this on internet, can you help me?

Thank you very much and happy weekend you too

HP Recommended

Yesterday I've bought it!! (ae100nl) :smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy::smileyvery-happy:

There is a slot!!! :OpenSmile:

DSC_0333__.jpg

Thank you SDF15!

HP Recommended

Hi.

I'm italian too but try to write in english for other members.

I'm interested in this laptop too.

What kind of m.2 port is that?

Is the same port of this HD for example? http://www.samsung.com/us/computer/memory-storage/MZ-N5E250BW

Could you please specify better the port type, the m.2 ssd you have mounted please?

Do you have re-installaed from scratch the SO on the SSD and set it as main boot device?

Ciao!

Simone

HP Recommended

Hello 🙂

The M.2 slot on this notebook is SATA (not PCIe!) and the SSD that you've linked is good!

I will have this SSD soon (think 1 month more or less) for test some virtual machine, now I have only 850 Pro (512GB) 2,5" ...the original 1TB HD is in a USB 3.0 box.

I installed windows 10 Pro from begin on 850 Pro, I think (sure 95%) that if you insert an M.2 SSD, the BIOS recognize it and you will able to install OS on it, it's on the same controller.

Lo slot M.2 utilizza un controller SATA, purtroppo non un PCIe 😞 quindi quel SSD da te linkato va bene, infatti proprio quello, taglio da 512GB, dovrebbe arrivarmi a breve.

Non penso ci siano problemi nel BIOS, utilizzano lo stesso controller SATA, basta impostare la priorità su quel SSD.

A maggior ragione la versione ae106nl già era venduto con un SSD oltre il disco da 1TB.

Io al posto tuo lo prenderei 😉

Ciao!

PS: il prezzo sul volantino mediaworld è ottimo! 😉

HP Recommended

Ciao Giro,

mi ha interessato molto questa discussione da te aperta e Sabato ho acquistato anch'io questo notebook con l'offerta Mediaworld.

Ho una domanda da chiedere (sperando in una tua risposta in merito): appena acceso ho riscontrato un problema video ovvero aloni chiari lungo quasi tutto il bordo del monitor quando è tutto nero. Questo problema è abbastanza frequente sui monitor assemblati male e non di fascia di alta qualità (il termine in inglese si chiama backlight bleed).

Anche il tuo notebook "soffre" dello stesso problema?

Per provare esiste anche un test che si può fare andando su youtube e cercare "backlight bleed test".

Mi da fastidio questo problema (che si nota "solo" quando ci sono immagini molto scure). Il problema è che l'ho comprato per utilizzo di grafica e fotoritocco (photoshop e lightroom) ed è fondamentale che non abbia problemi di questo tipo.

HP Recommended

Yes, same problem :Crying:

I think that this notebook is not the right way for professional graphic applications. First because is windows and second because it has only 15" screen.

I'm sorry, but this is at this price.

Bye

HP Recommended

Thank you for your answer,

Your post made me sad!

I bought this notebook to study  professional graphic applications (not for working) and for me the 15" is a compromise between size and portability.

Anyway, I did not expect this problem about the quality of the monitor in a HP notebook that still costs more than 1100 euro (official prize)

Bye

HP Recommended

Buongiorno a tutti!

Hi, I have the same problem(s).

Maybe I will replace the display panel later, but right now I would like to add the M.2 ssd.

I'm trying, but I can't remove the bottom cover.

HOW DID YOU OPEN IT?

I followed the instuctions on the maintenance guide and I unscrewed all the 13 screws, but I can't find any space between the cover and the body to put a lever to pry.

Can you help me?

Thanks

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.