Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
EliteBook 840 G3
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

New EliteBook 840 G3 with discrete graphics and 2013 UltraSlim Dock using windows 10.

I am using 2 HP Z23n screen, there are connected with 2 DisplayPort on 2013 UltraSlim Dock.

I have 1 issues with this

1) My 2 external screens, connected to the 2 DisplayPort, started flickering then going blank and came back again without any flickering. Extremely annoying. Seems that the graphic card somewhat resets on screen or the other from time to time. Been trying to look at logs without any luck.

Any ideas?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
57 REPLIES 57
HP Recommended

Sorry, I can't help fix your issue, but I wanted to let you know that you are not alone!  We have 7 Elitebook 840 G3's wth Windows 10 on the 2013 UltraSlim Dock as well, and they are all doing the same thing.  Both external displays will go black for a few seconds periodically throughout the day.  

We are using HP EliteDisplay E242 displays for all except one user, who has ASUS displays, and they all have the same issue, so the display itself does not appear to be the issue.

The VGA port seems to work fine, so this points to the Display Ports/driver being the issue.  I have tried all available driver updates, but nothing has resolved the issue.

We are looking for a solution to this issue as well.

HP Recommended

I have installed the beta driver 'Intel® Beta Graphics Driver for Windows® 7/8.1/10* [15.40]' from https://downloadcenter.intel.com/product/88358/Intel-Iris-Graphics-540-for-6th-Generation-Intel-Core... and it seems to help. I have only tried it one day for now.

HP Recommended

I have the same issue with the same model laptops, it seems to be related to the display ports as you mentions. I have a monitors on VGA and that monitors is not experiencing the issue.

- Updated BIOS 1.03
- Updated Slim Dock firmware to 2.27.000

- Updated Display driver (Intel HD Graphic 520 driver version 20.19.15.4377)

This was an issue with the 840G1 also but it was resolve HP will have to release a firmware update to the Slim Docks.

HP Recommended

I also have a colleague that has dual monitor setup one with VGA and the second one with just a staright Display cable. He has not had the issue. Myself and my manager has a Display to DVI adapter and we are experiencing the issue. I have a dock at home also and dual monitors with VGA and Display to DVI adapter. The Display to DVI adapter connection is experiencing the issue. Looking like if a Adapter is used then the issue occurs. Anyone having the issue using a Display Adapter to DVI?

HP Recommended

We are using straight Display Port to Display Port without an adapter for both external displays.  I tried switching one of the external displays to VGA, but experienced a really strange jittery screen after a while, which became unusable for the user, so I switched it back.

I entered a case with HP, and am currently working with them on the flickering issue, but they have not resolved the issue yet.

I tried the Beta driver suggested earlier in this thread, but had trouble getting it to work as well.  I was able to install it, but it reinstalled the old driver on a reboot, so I couldn't see if it worked or not.

I have been using this same setup on an EliteBook 1040 G2 for almost a year with absolutely no issue.  I have even swapped out the Ultraslim Dock from the 1040 G2 setup with the one from the 840 G3 setup and the 840 G3 continues to flicker and the 1040 G2 has no issue.  The 1040 G2 uses the Intel HD Graphics 5500, while the 840 G3 uses the Intel HD Graphics 520.  We also have over twenty 850 G1's, which were installed over a year ago and never experienced any flickering displays, and they are all using the same dock.

HP Recommended

Got back in the office today and encounter the issue connecting from my dock to EliteDisplay E24li using display cable. So both this scenario with a display cable and display to DVI adapter is having the issue. .

- Bumped up Video RAM in BIOS from 32MB to 512MB = No Luck

- Reinstalled USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller = No Luck

- Installed HP 3005pr USB 3.0 Port Replicator Driver = No Luck

- Use HP Slimdock that shipped with G3 = No Luck

spoke with HP tech is not aware of this issue at all, and they want us to try it their image and if it does not happen on their image then it's our image. But I'm sure more companies have this issue. Frustrating!!! Anyone with any luck on getting this issue resolve?

HP Recommended

We are experiencing the same issue here with the Elitebook 840 G3 with the docking stations.  All drivers are up to date, screen still continues to flicker. I have tried the HP image that was delivered with the device, it happenes from that image as well. I need them to fix this now, we currently can not deploy these laptops to our user base until this is resolved! 

HP Recommended

If anyone have not made any progress I was able to get a firmware update for the UltraSlim 2013 Dock, version 2.30.000. Once aplied and un-dock and re-dock for the firmware to take effect the static that I can see from a black wallpaper went away. Have not seen the  external display black out issue since yesterday when i applied it, all day today no issue. Still going to wait for the rest of the week before closing the ticket, but it does seem like this is the fix!

HP Recommended

I have the same issue with my 840 G3. I already posted in german HP forums where others have this issue as well. Im currently on INTELs beta graphics driver. It worked almost the whole day. However 20 Minutes ago it flickering started again. My external monitor looses its signal and therefore starts to go black for some seconds.

Hey guys from HP you have a serious problem there. Its time to do some research on this issue and find a solution 😐

Regards

Kitagua

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.