Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Envy 13 aq0011ms
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I purchased HP ENVY 13-aq0011ms Laptop in December 2019. After using about 1 year, (I treated it very gently all the time), the issue started: when the screen of the laptop is being moved to open/close, the chassis of the bottom case pops and split-opens. See attached photo. 

I've done some research and found that many Envy users report the same kind of hinge issues. It is indeed a common issue for the HP Envy series, and apparently this is a design flaw.  This kind of hinge issue will likely get worse soon, potentially disabling the laptop completely.

This is not the design/build quality one would expect for the expensive line of HP laptops. I use this laptop every day for work, and also given the pandemic situations, I'm not sure what should be the best course of action to address this problem. Maybe there's some self-repair kit/parts HP can send me? Or some quick drop/pick repair solution somewhere? Please help, HP! I would expect more from HP's higher-end line laptops! Thanks.

IMG_8903.jpg

IMG_8904 (1).jpg

IMG_8903 (1).jpg

14 REPLIES 14
HP Recommended

I have the same issue, hinge has separated from the back panel. I have researched on HP for parts but is indicating this part is not available.

Really pathetic think a product that costs this much and not that old is not supported with replacement parts.

Is there a fix to this that can be suggested?

HP Recommended

@Sung132

Welcome to the HP Support Community. 

Please look for a private message from me requesting additional information. Keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

No. Someone from HP contacted me via personal message, but apparently, they don't acknowledge this problem even though so many many Envy users suffer the same problem. 

Furthermore, they offered a "discounted" repair fee at a certain fixed amount, which is unreasonably high (cost half of the laptop).

My question is this. On what basis does HP determine such fixed repair fee? I mean, no one from HP has examined my Envy laptop yet. Even without looking at my laptop, HP says the repair fee is X dollars. But, how? My educated guess is that HP is very well aware of this hinge problem (as it is a very common problem Envy users suffer), so it is already known to them what is the cause of the problem and what's needed to fix. Otherwise, there's no way of them knowing how much the repair will cos without looking at my laptop.  

It's hard to believe that HP is not acknowledging this problem in the right business manner, and trying to charge an unreasonable repair fee for such a faulty design problem.     

HP Recommended

@Sung132
Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

NOPE. They have not contacted since my last post. Seems like they just decide to ignore. What a nice way to run a business with once-world-class brand name. 

HP Recommended

Any update on this issue.  I have of course a HP ENVY - 13-aq0011ms that began having the issue 3 months after the warranty expired.  Eventually the fan started making a racket. When I took the back off there were broken pieces of plastic from the hinge screw bases floating around inside.  If not a part is there some way to self repair?

HP Recommended

I have the same problem.  It's only getting worse and worse by the day.  If this can't be fixed, it's basically can not be use as a laptop or mobile computer any more.  Machine works fine but the flip mechanic is just very weak and poorly build.

Pictures:

IMG_8104.pngIMG_8111.jpg

HP Recommended

No update. HP hasn't replied to my last post or to my last message to them. It seems like they just decided not to acknowledge this problem. 

HP Recommended

Yes, it's getting worse. And HP hasn't responded to my last post or message to them. This issue, while it's a very common issue with Envy laptops, is being completely ignored by HP. I saw some YouTube videos talking about self-fix of this issue but I don't think I can pull it off, let alone where to buy those parts and the cost/risk. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.