Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Ouch! Sorry to hear that...

@CherylGwrote:

@PiotrJJ

Good to hear you are safe! :generic: Unfortunately, when I renabled WU on my Spectre loaner/test laptop it again asked for restart to finish update and proceeded through the entire update without even a "fix issues" button. Result- within 20 minutes of starting Windows I once again had a blue screen crash. Rolled back again, blocked WU again. Not sure why it is not detecting correctly and blocking on this laptop.:smileymad:

@PiotrJJ

Yeah, not fun going through that again. Small price for privilege of using/testing this otherwise awesome laptop for a year. At least I can give feedback so MS knows they need to tweak the block filters a bit more and prevent HP customers from the grief. :generic:

Thanks for your assistance in working through this. At least we know HP Recovery from F11 works if you give the right answer. I did have the option to rollback to previous version again-not sure why you didn't but another member reported that he didn't have it either.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the "YES" button if you think this response was helpful.***

HP Recommended

@CherylG

I noticed this update in Windows settings:

• 2018-05 Cumulative Update for Windows 10 Version 1703 for x64-based Systems (KB4103722)

and I clicked on 'Fix issue' button. After a rather long download, I got the same hardware incompatibility message as before (continue reading under the image):

Capture15.JPG

However, this time, I was also invited to Restart the system.

After I did, 1803 update remains on the list, and the fversion amiliar 'Fix issues' button is still there.

So my guess is some updates have installed for version 1703, while version 1803 update remains to be blocked.

@PiotrJJ

You're probably right. I would assume MS still allows security updates,etc for previous version even though 1803 is blocked from installing.

HP Recommended

@PiotrJJ

Fix for 1803 and Intel SSD coming out May 25. Ms is suggesting to wait until it is offered rather than manually checking for updates. I definitely will be waiting. :OpenSmile:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4100403/windows-10-update-kb4100403

HP Recommended

Thanks, @CherylG,

Awesome news! I am going to stay on the safe side, and attend to this Windows update over the weekend.

@CherylG

Today, my work Dell laptop auto-updated Windows 10 to latest build of version 1803. I took it as a signal to attempt updating my Spectre x360. Unfortunately, I had no success doing that.

At present, 'Fix issue' remains the only action available to me under Settings/Windows Update - this has not changed since the day Microsoft blocked  Feature Update 1803 on my Spectre.

Capture16.JPG

After I clicked on 'Fix issues', "Initiating updates" and "Downloading updates" messages appreared for a second or less  - so, no updates were actually downloaded. "Preparing to instal updates" message appeared next, along with a progress bar that went up to 25%.

At this point, a large white 'Windows Update' window popped up saying 'Preparing for the update - please wait':

Capture17.JPG

After less than a minute, I get thesame error message I first saw when Microsoft blocked Feature Update 1803 on my Spectre:

Capture18.JPG

Clicking on 'Refresh' button didn't seem to result in any action (I waited up to 3 minutes), so closing the white pop-up window was the only option. To which, Windows reacted with the following warning:

Capture19.JPG

After I cliked on 'Yes', Windows proceeded with 'Cleaning up files':

Capture20.JPG

After less than a minute, I was taken back to the Windows Update screen in Settings where I started - with the same 'Fix issues' button the only option available.

I made a full circle... a couple of times, actually... to absolutely no result.

I then tried 'Troubleshoting' Windows Update. Although the 'Troubleshooter' claimed it had found issues and applied fixes...

Capture21.JPG 

... it didn't change a thing on the main Windows Update screen: it looks excatly the same as on the first picture in this post.

HYPOTHESIS #1: Windows is not checking for new updates (i.e. new builds of version 1803), but attempts installing the original Feature Update 1803 it had downloaded a while ago. Because the update to this original build of 1803 has been blocked on my Spectre, I am stuck in a loop.

HYPOTHESIS #2: The Quality Update a.k.a. next build for version 1803 is not yet available for my Spectre. However, since no option to check for new updates is available (only 'Fix issues' button), I  am not sure how my Spectre is going to 'know' when to download the new build of 1803.

One solution I thought of was downloading the latest 1803 update from Windows Update catalogue, and installing it manually. I have never done it before (i.e. I have always used Windows' built-in update feature), though it may be my only way out of the current situation.

[FINALLY SOLVED]

This is how I took my Spectre out of the Windows update 'hardware incompatibility' loop (described in my previous post), and updated Windows 10 from factory version 1703 to latest version 1803 build 17134.81

• I deleted all files in C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder; you need local Administrator privileges to delete these files.
  • I rebooted the system, hoping Windows would automatically check for and download the latest 1803 update. It did not - the Windows Update screen remained unchanged:

Capture16.JPG

• I went on and clicked on the `Fix issues` button. This time, Windows behaved and started downloading an update. It took a while, and I was cool with that - after all, I thought, it was a major Feature Update.

• After several reboots and a few screens with Windows pleasantries (the usual white text on blue-to-dard-blue background), I saw the Task View icon in the Task Bar, and I knew I was on version 1803. Bingo!

• After a minute, things started going downhill... I tried to check whether it was indeed the latest 1803 build, but I couldn't open Settings. A few StartUp apps were popping up suspiciously slowly. My cursor kept freezing!
    I suddenly had a bad feeling about all this...

• Next thing I saw was a BSOD. :robotmad: At this point, I understood what had just happened: Windows updated to the original April Feature Update a.k.a. version 1803 - the build that didn't exactly have a crash (pun intended!) on the Intel 600p series SSD in my Spectre. I was back to square one.
  • 'Not so fast!' I yelled at the BSOD and force-rebooted my Spectre. This time, Windows came back with no issues, and I quickly went to Windows Update in Settings. There, 'Check for updates' button (almost) smiled at me: hello, old friend, long time no see!
  • From this point on, it all went smoothly: Windows downloaded and succesffuly installed the latest 1803 Quality Update. I also saw an indescript update from Intel downloading and installing - I suspect it was the badly needed patch to make the SSD firmware work with Windows again.

It has been almost 24 hours, and my Spectre is cruising on Windows 10 verion 1803 build 17134.81 - with no issues whatsoever.

Geez,what an ordeal. Kudos to you for plowing ahead till you solved it. It sounds like the old 1803 files were cached somewhere. I would have thought deleting the Software Distribution folder would get rid of them. Did run CMD as Admin> net stop wuauserv before you deleted the files?

I renabled Windows Update on my test Spectre and have received a few minor updates for 1709. So far April 2018 Update has not reappeared. Microsoft may be slowly pushing this out to see if new issues come. I will wait a few more days before tapping that Check for Update button.

HP Recommended

Yes, there must have been some 1803 'sediments' left in Windows Registry - which I wouldn't play with, as I am not an expert at all.

I hope a working 1803 update will pop up for you too very soon.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.