Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 - 15-bl075nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Is there a Microsoft Precision Touchpad compatible driver available for the Spectre x360? The regular Synaptics driver doesn't have the same range of gesture options that are available to pointing devices that identify themselves as Precision Touchpads. Coming from an Apple laptop, the limited touchpad gestures are very noticable and will likely lead to me returning this laptop and waiting for the Gen 2 Lenovo X1 Yoga.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here you go!: https://superuser.com/questions/921215/is-there-a-way-to-force-windows-to-use-precision-touchpad-dri...

It should be noted though that every time HP approves a synaptics update and forces it through windows update that you have to completely uninstall the driver, re-install it and then follow this tutorial again.

HP, fix this. Give us a precision touchpad. I will continue to hack around your crap until this is fixed.

View solution in original post

48 REPLIES 48
HP Recommended

Hi @Ambits,

Good Day! Welcome to the HP forums.:) I understand that you require assistance regarding  Microsoft precision drivers for the touchpad of your unit. I will be a delighted to assist you. 🙂

Great description of the issue before posting. Kudos to you on that score. 🙂  You are a valued HP customer and it is paramount to assist you here. I take it as a privilege to share this platform with you. 🙂

For better clarity and to assist you better I would require more information regarding this.

• When you say the touchpad gestures are limited could you provide more information about it?
  • Have you installed the touchpad drivers from device manager and updated the latest one from the HP support site?

For now please uninstall the touchpad drivers from device manager.

Then update the bios, chipset and touchpad drivers from http://hp.com/drivers and follow the on-screen instructions.

Please check this link out for further assistance and try to perform the required steps to try and correct the situation: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/New-Spectre-x360-15-quot-Great-...

Then check if this does the trick for you.

These drivers are provided by the manufacturer and they have not provided Microsoft drivers for the same

Hope this helps.   I genuinely hope the issue gets resolved without hassles and the unit works great. 🙂  Please reach out for any issues and I'll always be there to assist you. 🙂

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help.

this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. 🙂 

Take care now and have a splendid week ahead. 🙂

DavidSMP
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I'm sure he, like me, has the latest drivers for his device. That's not the problem. We want the precision touchpad options available for Windows 10--specfically the creators update. We don't want the synaptic touchpad software. 

Please update the drivers to allow Windows to consider this touchpad as a precision touchpad. The synaptic gestures are way too limiting. 

Again, most of us have the latest drivers, but we want Windows to see the touchpad as a precision touchpad. 

HP Recommended

I agree with this. I know it is possible, as there are already hacks out there if you search for enabling the precision support on the current touchpads.

HP, you NEED to give us a driver that enables the MS precision touchpad mode. I know it is possible, I can prove it. You need to support this officially.

HP Recommended

jmanes, 

can you please point me in the right direction for the hack to enable it?

thanks!

HP Recommended

I found it!

HP Recommended

Here you go!: https://superuser.com/questions/921215/is-there-a-way-to-force-windows-to-use-precision-touchpad-dri...

It should be noted though that every time HP approves a synaptics update and forces it through windows update that you have to completely uninstall the driver, re-install it and then follow this tutorial again.

HP, fix this. Give us a precision touchpad. I will continue to hack around your crap until this is fixed.

HP Recommended
This is a perfect answer as far as I'm concerned since it fixes a problem that I'm sure HP will never officially help us with because they clearly don't care about their customers. Everything up to actually packaging the drivers for consumers is already done by Synaptics; it's crazy that they won't perform the simple task of shipping the precision touch variant of the drivers.
HP Recommended

Just FYI, I am currently having an issue where Windows update is forcing the latest Synaptics drivers on me at midnight, thus completely breaking the touchpad by morning, forcing me to re-install the drivers and apply my fixes.

I am currently attempting to impement a group policy fix found here: https://superuser.com/a/959706/192192. This should completely prevent ANY changes to the device driver. So hopefully my fix sticks after this.

HP Recommended

As soon as my computer reset it reinstalled an update and I lost all touchpad functionality. I saw others were having that issue on reddit. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.