Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

After several updates and restores it seems to me that the situation is as follows:

If Windows does not updated to Version 1809 (which was not offered to me after some restores) then you can still roll back the driver to version 19.3.31.31 RevB and everything works as expected.

However after the Windows Version 1809 update the Synaptics 19.3.31.31 drivers gets removed and rolling back to an earlier version gives a very old non precision Windows driver. Then you have to install the Synaptics 19.3.31.31 driver manually through the HP Softpaq sp87984.exe again. The installer tells you that you have to uninstall the Synaptics 19.5.x.x. driver (via add / remove programs) first, which got installed by the Windows update. Thereafter the 19.3.31.31 driver can be installed (reboot required).

Next follow the instructions for installing the n1mgx14w driver from the posts before (reboot required).

This gives you the precision touchpad back.

Then you can update the driver to 19.3.31.31 through the device manager (reboot required).

Maybe it is possible to install the n1mgx14w before the 19.3.31.31 driver to save the last step, but I haven't tested it.

Now you should have the Synaptics ClickPad 19.3.31.31 driver with Windows 1809 (build 10.0.17763) working....

... until the next Windows update. This will install the 19.5.10.75 driver again. You then have to immediately rollback the 19.5.x driver to its previous 19.3.31.31 version before any reboot. Otherwise it will be very difficult to get back to the working state. It took me a very long time and I can't explain how I finally got to the proper setup. Several attempts to get the driver 19.5.x driver uninstalled and replaced by the 19.3. driver failed. I think what helped was uninstalling the 19.5. driver via Windows "add or remove programs" and installing n1mgx14w and 19.3.31.31 without rebooting first. When 19.3.x was working again as precision touchpad, two finger scrolling was broken. Then after some reboots Windows update started to download  the19.5.x driver again. But I immediately rolled back to 19.3.x and after a reboot everything worked as expected.

However, I also realized that I also the n1mgx14w driver works fine and 19.3.x is not really necessary, which could avoid and additional fragile installation procedure.

HP Recommended

The only way to get the Precision Touchpad driver on the Spectre x360 is through the unofficial hack (https://www.windowscentral.com/how-enable-precision-touchpad-drivers) but that could change if this petition to bring the driver officially to the Spectre x360 gets enough signatures, I think 10-20,000 would be enough if not more than enough. Here's the link and please share it: https://www.thepetitionsite.com/279/075/190/stand-up-to-hp-and-demand-precision-touchpads-on-the-spe....

HP Recommended

Thanks EvenNotOdd. That's a nice idea. I signed your petition, but I am afraid your numbers of signatures are a bit to optimistic. Nevertheless HP should start fixing this anyway even if just a small number of people sign it, since not so many people bothered of it will find this petition.

And its such a miserable thing they do and it would be so easy to fix.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the signature tip. What is a number you recommend because 1000 was the default. Thanks!

HP Recommended

You are welcome.

I don't know about the numbers. But from the eye symbol on the left you can see how many people have seen a post. So far about 8500 have seen the initial question. The last posts have less than 1000 views, but within one week that's not too bad. Lets see.

HP Recommended

We're getting close to the end of March, and still no response from HP.

The Windows presicion driver changes everything about the exprience of the x360, turning it to one of the best laptops on the market.

Leaving it with the old synaptics drivers just makes the whole experience laggy and a real shame.

HP: Please release an updated version that supports Windows PresicionDrivers!!! Its by far more improtant than releasing new failing laptops, keep your real succesful laptops worth it!

HP Recommended

Anyone know how I can replace the irritating Elan touchpad driver for Microsoft Precision one? I found a hack:

But the link they give for the elan driver:  

https://drivers.softpedia.com/get/Other-DRIVERS-TOOLS/Others/ELAN-Input-Device-for-WDF-Driver-161132...

does not have the autorun.inf file after I extract the zip file. 

My touchpad is really trash since an update. It was fine when I got the laptop in December 2018. But recently became really groggy and I got to assume it was following an update. 

HP Recommended

I've now managed to reinstall the Lenovo precision touchpad driver on Windows 10 1903 according to my HowTo.

However, to prevent the crappy synaptics driver from being reinstalled I had to block driver installations for my touchpad's device ids using gpedit.msc rather than using the "hide update" tool. Here's how to achieve that:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/dotnet/articles/bb530324(v=msdn.10)#prevent-insta...

HP Recommended

Touchpad performance was pretty bad after reinstallting the Lenovo driver on Windows 10 1903 (May Update 2019). I have now found a newer version (Oct 2017) of Lenovo's Precision Touchpad driver. This makes a huge difference when scrolling in Chrome, etc.

https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles/n1mgx28w.exe

I have updated my installation instructions...

EDIT: Unfortunately my updated instructions are now getting marked as SPAM - and are removed when reposting them over and over again. I hope some moderator brings them back ASAP.

HP Recommended

Here are the instructions on pastebin - https://pastebin.com/z4RUShaS

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.