Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Just thought I'd do a random search, since I've debated trying to have a third party replace my damaged motherboard in an HP Spectre.  Some months back mine laptop quit working (literally not even turning on) but was about ONE WEEK out of warranty.  For a piddling price of $400 (thereabout) HP would repair the unit.  So I elected to just buy a new computer instead.  Now I hear HP isn't even consistent with how it treat its customers.  GREAT.  I wish someone at the company would remember fantastically successful corporations like CompUSA and Compaq and Montgomery Ward and Home Club that eventually collapsed because they didn't deliver service people wanted.  I'm sure those company's employees stood on the street after layoff notices and wondered "What happened?  Everything was so good here." Hey HP: In an integrated business world customers are a lot less likely to buy products without checking reviews.  We CAN buy elsewhere.  So glad I've been appointed to the tech advisory committee where I work, so I can recommend buying something besides HP this year. 

HP Recommended

I'm going through this right now. absolutely no help. Asus took my G50Vt from me in 2010 after I had it for two years and they did the repair evne though I was living in spain at the time and the laptop was purchased in the US. Now that's why I was so happy with them and recommend their laptops when asked about them. Unfortunately our distributer at work doesnt carry Asus so we've been recommending HP. I believe thats going to stop now with this laptop. I'm going to get pictures of mine to upload as well.

HP Recommended

For those of you having trouble getting their laptop fixed, I will repost relevant info:

I was able to get my laptop fixed quickly at no charge. 

Why do some people get their laptops fixed for free and other not?

Because you have to go through the Health & Safety department at HP.

How do you get a risk manager to contact you to go through this department?

You need to stress the safety concerns you have (we are talking burning, smoking and on fire laptops here!) not just say your laptop does not work when talking to the rep that responds to you. Start you own post if needed and stress these issues. Tell your story. Mention the smoky smell that lingered in your home when the laptop failed.

Good luck to you all!

HP Recommended
I am also an unfortunate victim of the x360 spectre motherboard issue. Thankfully, due to the honesty of a local computer repair man, he recommended I contact hp about the issue to see about getting it replaced. The first gentleman I spoke to was adamant that "computers fail all the time" and with it being outside the 1 year warranty, they couldn't help me without charge. I insisted on my issue being escalated to a senior technician. Before I said more than hello, the supervisor I spoke to said they would be sending me a box overnight and would fix the issue free of charge. I will let you know how it works in 10-14 days.

HP Recommended

Having same issue.  Can your share the phone number of the department you spoke with?

Thanks

HP Recommended

I called suport up with the same exact issue.  I was using the laptop at the time and acctualy saw the smoke coming out of the vent.  What the woman from Inda told me is that they can fix it for me but it would cost me and preceaded not to tell me how much every time i asked.  If everyone is having this issue then there is no way im giving HP any more of my money.  Paying $1400 for the laptop was enough, i thought i would get atleast 10 years out of it like i did with  my dell from 2005 (which still works when you turn it on).  This top of the line laptop is turning out to be one expensive POS paper weight.  Why the hell dont they just recall the motherboard.  It is obviously a know fire hazard.

HP Recommended

I had the same issue. I have an HP Spectre x360. Computer stopped charging. The charging light kept blinking and the computer eventually ran out of battery while plugged into the wall. I took off the back and saw a burn in the motherboard identification sticker. See attached. 15061926227401847923983.jpg

HP Recommended

I had the same issue. I have an HP Spectre x360. Computer stopped charging. The charging light kept blinking and the computer eventually ran out of battery while plugged into the wall. I took off the back and saw a burn in the motherboard identification sticker. This is definitely a fire hazard. Had there been some dust or lint on the motherboard it definitely could have caused a fire.  Especially because the fried component is right near the air vent which is where dust would be and also where it could burn whatever the computer is sitting on like papers that could be nearby. Please have someone contact me. Thank you

HP Recommended

@Ringwraith36

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Forum's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Forum.

I work on behalf of HP
HP Recommended

I also have the famous problem of the motherboard.

A week ago my Spectre x360 all of a sudden started overheating, going into hybernate, and not charging anymore.

I contacted the support service in Germany, and they told me that the laptop needs to have the motherboard replaced. As I bought it in July 2015, I am out of warranty, and I was requested to pay 398,65 euros in order to have it replaced!

This is insane. I bought what I thought it was a premium product, and now I have to bear the costs of an obvious design defect. I will never buy a HP product again in my life, and I am considering starting legal actions unless they replace the motherboard for free.

And even in that case, nobody will compensate all the problems and time wasted I had for not having my laptop in working conditions. I and bought a laptop that costs more than 1000 euros ... sigh.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.