01-04-2017 02:06 PM - edited 01-04-2017 02:16 PM
I had a hard drive crash and a new one installed. The touchpad doesn't turn off when I attach a USB mouse. Looked under Device Manager and it doesn't show it; it shows PS/2 Compatible Mouse. The touchpad is too Too TOO sensitive and always has been, no matter you do. I need to turn it off. Just typing the form fields and top line made it jump around 8 times.
I tried the following:
- Scanning for new hardware
- Updating the driver. I got the correct driver (posted in this forum), but it won't install. Says I'm not running Win 7 or above (but I am).
- Let Device Manager search on hard drive for driver. It says the latest is installed.
- Followed http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Synaptics-Device-Settings-not-s... but I don't have Synaptics listed under Manufacturer.
- Followed this: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Synaptics-Device-Settings-not-s... It got me number 2 again
- Researched in Google but all posts say touchpad isn't working; mine is. Or it says update the drivers. Tried that.
- Uninstall the mouse, restart the computer, and the PS/2 mouse is back.
Solved! Go to Solution.
01-05-2017 10:46 AM
Hey there! @zoelambert, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!
I understand that you need to know how to disable touchpad when USB mouse is connected.
By default even after you connect a USB mouse the touchpad will not get disabled.
You have to tap twice on the top left corner of the touchpad to disable.
or you to get into control panel select Synaptics from the list and select disable manually.
Change the settings in control panel to auto switch when the mouse is connected.
Step 1: At the Tiles Menu type "Control Panel"
Step 2. Click on Mouse
Step 3. Click on Device Settings tab
Step 4. Put a check in the box that says Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached
Step 5. Click Apply and then OK
As you mentioned that touchpad is not getting listed in device manager.
Please provide the product number of your PC.
I will try to find the best drivers.
Please keep me updated.
Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂
I am an HP Employee
01-05-2017 01:28 PM
"Click on Device Settings tab"
I don't have that tab. I have:
- Pointer Options
None of those have the option "Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached"
Product number: A3F79AV
01-05-2017 01:36 PM