Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv7
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

I had a hard drive crash and a new one installed. The touchpad doesn't turn off when I attach a USB mouse. Looked under Device Manager and it doesn't show it; it shows PS/2 Compatible Mouse. The touchpad is too Too TOO sensitive and always has been, no matter you do. I need to turn it off. Just typing the form fields and top line made it jump around 8 times.

I tried the following:

1. Scanning for new hardware
  2. Updating the driver. I got the correct driver (posted in this forum), but it won't install. Says I'm not running Win 7 or above (but I am).
  3. Let Device Manager search on hard drive for driver. It says the latest is installed.
  4. Followed http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Synaptics-Device-Settings-not-s... but I don't have Synaptics listed under Manufacturer.
  5. Followed this: http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Synaptics-Device-Settings-not-s... It got me number 2 again
  6. Researched in Google but all posts say touchpad isn't working; mine is. Or it says update the drivers. Tried that.
  7. Uninstall the mouse, restart the computer, and the PS/2 mouse is back.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@zoelambert, thanks for the response.

Thanks for trying out the steps.

Please download and install the Synaptics driver using this link.

Let me know if this helps!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Hey there! @zoelambert, Thanks for stopping by the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you need to know how to disable touchpad when USB mouse is connected.

By default even after you connect a USB mouse the touchpad will not get disabled.

You have to tap twice on the top left corner of the touchpad to disable.

or you to get into control panel select Synaptics from the list and select disable manually.

Change the settings in control panel to auto switch when the mouse is connected.

Step 1: At the Tiles Menu type "Control Panel"
Step 2. Click on Mouse
Step 3. Click on Device Settings tab
Step 4. Put a check in the box that says Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached
Step 5. Click Apply and then OK

As you mentioned that touchpad is not getting listed in device manager.

Please provide the product number of your PC.

I will try to find the best drivers.

Please keep me updated.

Have a wonderful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

"Click on Device Settings tab"

I don't have that tab. I have:

• Buttons
  • Pointers
  • Pointer Options
  • Hardware

None of those have the option "Disable internal pointing device when external USB pointing device is attached"

Product number: A3F79AV

Thank you.

HP Recommended

@zoelambert, thanks for the response.

Thanks for trying out the steps.

Please download and install the Synaptics driver using this link.

Let me know if this helps!

Cheers! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

That did it! Thank you SO much!!!!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.