Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I have a similar problem. I had to recently reload all of Windows (8.1). I can turn on / off the backlight with fn-f5 just fine but it no longer fades out. Looking at the posts that may be no bad thing. What is missing is the original HP utility that allowed me to change a lot of things, for example coolsense. Can I download it?

HP Recommended

I have a Spectre x 360 and have tried these instructions but it does not keep the backlights on.  The regfix file works.  Never see the "Restart your pc for changes to finish" prompt with the kbdfix.bat file.  Should it work with this computer too?  Other suggestions?

HP Recommended

I got the same model as you. i wonder what version of BIOS you installed?

HP Recommended

I don't know. I never reloaded the BIOS - it's same as was in the laptop back in 2013. I just reloaded Windows 8.1. (In case you wonder why I have such an old PC and OS I bought the latest HP with W10 and when I run Corel Video Studio the old one was slightly faster. So I upgraded the SSD and now it is like a sports car. But I do have to put up with occasional problems like this one. HP do make laptops to last!) Anyway TBH having the keyboard fade out unexpectedly was irritating. At least I can turn it on and off (fn+f5)

HP Recommended

New HP BIOS F.11 for 16-A0032dx  has been released and it now has a new parameter for adjusting the keyboard inactivity timeout for the backlight including disabling it altogether.

HP Recommended

Hi i tried using this solution but i keep getting this error. I would really appreciate the help

ErrorError

HP Recommended

This solution has worked for me for the past 6 months but after i lost autorotation and could not fix it, HP sent me the recovery key.

Everything came back to normal and i was even able to get the backlight working again

But after updates i lost the backlight and tried to run the fix again but now i get the same message as you. 

HP Spectre x360 gemcut. Near 2.5k $ and can't have the option ? this is arogant from such a big company 

I want my money back

HP Recommended

I have looked at this already and there are no such options in my BIOS. 

I have a an HP Spectre X360 Convertable 15-eb0xxx with BIOS AMI F.06, 6/2/2020

HP Recommended

Hello, I also do not see such option in my BIOS.

I have:

HP Spectre x360 Convertible 15-df1xxx

BIOS: F.20

This option in BIOS, as someone mentioned it for 16-A0032dx, would help me a lot. Keyboard backlight timeout is really pain....

HP Recommended

This may help people. When my laptop boots up it has a bios password first. At that point there is no OS at all. Yet I can turn on or off the backlight using Fn+F5. I believe the keyboard might have its own microprocessor as there is no mention of keyboard in the bios and the backlight doesn't just turn off it fades i.e. is under some sort of control. So it's not Windows that controls the backlight and even before you get to the OS you should be able to turn the backlight on/off. Finally there is an NXP proximity detector that turns off the backlight when not in use and wakes it up when you wave your hand in front of the sensor. That stopped working when I reloaded the OS so is probably an HP driver. In my case I am happy to just turn it on or off manually and not have the auto-fade which I used to find annoying. If you can turn your backlight on or off with Fn-F5 then you can safely remove whatever driver it is that is turning it off in response to the proximity detector.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.