Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended

Question is which specific (ver. + date) one does it for you. Pros and cons. Crashing... ever?

Which ones do not? and why?

Nickhammond,

Regardless of brand MS Vega 8 drivers have to be closely ralated > based on the same driver release from AMD... or are they?

HP Recommended

After all driver issues I had, I gave laptop to some hardcore tech savvy guy. I've just checked few mins ago, it is 655.1...If that means anything to You.

I don't have Radeon settings btw (wanted to check color temperature). But I am using f.lux anyway.

He didn't install radeon settings. I am not a guy by the way but I guess I can provide enough info You want...

Nothing is crashing, display is only and the biggest problem for me, which cannot be fixed.

To be perfectly honest, after fixing drivers, I really like laptop (apart from gross display).

Design is beautiful crafted, battery is OKAY nothing special but expected, it is really fast in my opinion.

But as I said, the huge downside is display. Cannot use laptop for creative purpose. Very sad since that's the only reason I bought this one...

My old fujitsu lifebook (500$) from 2k14 has much better display unit.

HP Recommended

Well, you can do some work although color needs careful adjustment. I've had Chi Mei too... yellow cast is a drag (too much green and red). These screens are low on blue.

655.1 is MS update ver.

I'm running 655.2 from HP. None of them is free of fault. All pixalate from time to time on YT.

Laptop is indeed nice. Even BOE will give you only 60% sRGB coverage, HP reserved better screens for higher, more expensive Spectre, better but still not perect, far from that. How bout external monitor for serious work -  via USB-C to DVI, VGA, HDMI adapter or direct HDMI.

You can get Radeon Panel back by running installCCC from program files\amd\CCC? (don't recall). It's there...

HP Recommended

Hey, I cannot seem to find that file. So far I've tried only by using driver from HP (655.2 version) and tried only to check Driver Settings but I could not install it because if I check Driver Settings it automatically checks the driver 655.2 installation too...

The reason for settings is that I wish to change color temp to 10k, see if there are any changes...I saw your post about that btw.

HP Recommended

I have it in Program FIles\AMD\CCC2\Install\InstallCCC.exe

I went back to vanilla factory setup (via recovery - after adding SSD to HDD, just to start fresh), and only did driver update in Dev. Manager due to heavy banding (again, clean install...) in the original driver.

Curently on 665.1 (still crashing on YT - white/ black screens, pink pixelation, hangs, interruptions etc.) but for the most part it's still working for productivity. Waiting for the right driver.

Readon Panel is minimalistic, basicly junk. Nothing but color temp there. I got better results with Windows calibration. (1st red, then green down (less)). Intel color panel way better.

655.2 did previously appar in my HP Support app and after installing from there it went through OK, as opposed to downloding. I suggest you try this method. Driver not any better but kept the panel.

Downloded AMD display install 655.2 also worked (couple tries) but flakey install, once did... once did not, and autom. reverted back to 655.1 after running installCCC.exe trying to get R.Panel back.

Tired of halfbaked driver issues.

HP Recommended

In an attempt to make this laptop stop its constant crashing (BSOD type crash, only without the blue screen, sometimes while I'm in the middle of working on something, but mostly while I'm afk, only to return to find everything gone and the computer rebooted), I downloaded the latest drivers for the Vega desktop graphics card from the AMD website (17.12.2). I ran the installer to get the files extracted, let it fail to find the hardware and close. I then forced an install through the device manager using the "Have disk" option, picking the .inf file from the driver install files (C:\AMD\Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-Edition-17.12.2-Dec199\Packages\Drivers\Display\WT6A_INF\C0322096.inf), and selecting "Radeon RX Vega" from the list of drivers. Surprisingly, it installed, still identifies as Vega 8, and functions correctly (except in the radeon settings app, it identifies the memory type as ddr3???). The new Radeon settings can be installed from the driver installation files as well. (C:\AMD\Win10-64Bit-Radeon-Software-Adrenalin-Edition-17.12.2-Dec199\Packages\Apps\CN\CNext\cnext64\ccc-next64.msi). Unfortunately, it was still crashing, although now it was crashing more predictably. It seemed to crash only when viewing certain HTML5 videos (youtube, facebook, etc..), typically after sleeping or screen off. I have now disabled hardware acceleration in chrome and edge/ie. This seems to have resolved the web video crash problem and the laptop has been stable for 2 days now.

HP Recommended

So here is my feedback. Tried method from zt7301. It did install fine, but crashed each time i rebooted system. Whenever I rebooted system my mouse freezed exactly 2 times in 10 seconds interval (at start), and then laptop reboots itself and only then it continues to work. I came back to 655.1 (which works perfectly) but there is one major good thing: AMD radeon settings remained installed!

Thank You sooo much sir, You saved my day! This is very huge step since display is crappy and yellowish, brightness is much higher now (I would say at least 15-20% which is perfect comparing how bad display is), and also I can use 10k color temperature for my design. Canvas in Inkscape is much clearer now.

My laptop is finally ready for some creative work (after few weeks of huge driver problems etc...)!

I can watch 4K videos by using AMD's virtual super resolution, and did so without ANY lag.

I also wanna mention that I calibrated display according to advice written by proxyx. I turned up gamma a little bit, because I watched carefully, didn't use default gamma. Turned less about 8cm red and green. There is definitely improvement in color accuracy, MUCH less yellowish tint. Thank You both, a lot!

MUCH OBLIGED! :catvery-happy:

HP Recommended

I raised this crashing with HP tech support and queried if there was any way I could register some form of a request or interest in the bundling of  a newer driver. The conversation couldn't really get further than:

"Please get in touch with AMD as they will let you know about all the updates needed for your system. As of now we don't have any such knowledge."

I like to be optomistic but it was a bit frustrating.

HP Recommended

I ended up having the same problem with the desktop drivers; On the first boot after a shutdown, it would freeze for a moment, work for a few more seconds, then freeze again and reboot. After this, it would be stable the rest of the day, so long as I didn't shutdown. I also would see problems adjusting screen brightness after the screen was off or the machine went to sleep.

I did a clean install of the HP drivers, and the system began crashing again immediately. I then updated the display driver via device manager to the windows update driver (655.1) and that seemed to have stablised the system again, without the cold boot problem of the desktop drivers. Will see how it does in this configuration for a few days.

HP Recommended

I don't want to be a pessimist, but it doesn't look like AMD and HP are in any kind of rush trying to address display driver issues. We may be in for a long haul until some wake up and notice there's something's wrong with their laptop.

The only hope is in gamers, they rarely give up. And AMD Vega has issues...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.