Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Check out our WINDOWS 11 Support Center info about: OPTIMIZATION, KNOWN ISSUES, FAQs, VIDEOS AND MORE.
HP Recommended
Spectre X360 ap0069tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've been experiencing some disappointing issues with my HP Spectre laptop (ap-0069tu). 

Issues: 

-loud fan noises on minimal tasks

-grinding noise when opening laptop lid

-hinges not fixed properly (bent on angle)

-blue screens

Out of these issues listed above, the biggest problem for me was the fan noise. I bought the computer 2 months ago and as soon as I started using it, I noticed the very loud fan noises. The only task I was running was web browsing on Chrome and the fans were going off for around 5-10 minutes. Then it stopped for about 10 minutes and started going again. This was very strange as the laptop was brand new. 

I contacted HP support and they advised me to update drivers and software such as BIOS, Chipset, etc. So I did as they instructed and gave it a few days. The problem just continued. I also tried adjusting the settings on HP command center and this did not help!

I decided to get a replacement unit for the laptop but the new unit also had the same fan issues and also blue screen issues. Then I waited a few weeks and a new batch of the laptops arrived into my local store. So I decided I would try another replacement from my local store and I still faced loud fan issues. After experiencing 3 faulty units, I'm extremely disappointed to have spent $2300 USD on this laptop. Being a premium HP laptop, I expected higher standards and I suggest that HP make serious improvements to their quality control.

The pictures below show the bent hinge (only left hinge is bent):

IMG_6399.JPGIMG_6401.JPGIMG_6402.JPG

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello @KevyJ7,

Yes, unfortunately, the bent hinges are a relatively common complaint. 

Have you tried using HP Command Center?

1. Search or open HP Command Center
  2. Head to the Thermal Profile tab
  3. Select Quiet

The fans will not kick in most of the time and may only occasionally operate at minimum speeds.

- Eddy

I used to be an HP Expert. I no longer participate in this community.
HP Recommended

As I mentioned earlier, I did try HP Command Center and this did not help! Moreover, a user shouldn’t have to configure a brand new laptop in order to reduce fan noises. It is expected that HP tests these sort of things before releasing a product into the market. Once again, as this is a premium product (Spectre), these kinds of issues are just not acceptable.

HP needs to make improvements  to their quality control / testing  and give an explanation for what’s going on here. Is there a management team or contact in which I can escalate this issue?  

HP Recommended

The bent hinge is unfortunate.

However for me the new BIOS together with the HP Command Center fixed all my overheating and fan issues.

I had similar problems especially while charging and having a second screen through thunderbolt I would always hit 100C.

For me if you put the Command Center to "quiet" this stops everything.

The fan goes quietly and i dont hit more than 50C while charging and having the second screen in use and charging too.

Before i realised that I followed the solution on Reddit too though to change the maximum CPU to 99%.

That did not solve my problem but maybe it plays a role together with the "quiet" settings.

HP Recommended

How do I get to the command centre? I have searched in settings and everywhere but I can't find it.

HP Recommended

Thats how it looks for me:

Anmerkung 2019-11-04 133604.png

However you will definitely have to use the following idea from Reddit: "https://redd.it/84pmsc"

1. Do the following if you cannot access the energy settings that the Reddit posts outlines.

Run Registry Editor (regedit).
Navigate to the following registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power
Change the value for CsEnabled from 1 to 0.

2. Follow the steps on Reddit and change the power to 99%

That worked well for me and my Spectre x360 (2018) Gem-Cut

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.