Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible 13-ae0xx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi! I just purchased a refurbished Spectre x360, with active warranty. When I first tried it out the tablet mode worked - the laptop would enter tablet mode automatically when tilting the screen backwards. After doing all the Windows updates as well as an upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, the feature no longer works. I currently have all newest updates installed from both Windows Update and HP Support Assistant. I can manually activate the tablet mode by using the taskbar button but in this case the keyboard is not disabled, which makes the tablet mode useless.

I checked the forums and none of the solutions I found worked for me so far. I am quite sure it is a driver issue as the feature worked initally. I have repatedly run the installer for the most recent Intel Integrated Sensor Solution Driver (Windows 10 v1803), VERSION: 3.1.0.3524. I'm not sure if it is active though, as in Device Manager under "Sensor" it shows 4 times the entry "HID Sensor Collcetion V2" and the driver is by Microsoft.

Thanks for your help!

19 REPLIES 19
HP Recommended

Hi! @luckbox

Please share the product number of the PC to assist you better.

Try few steps recommended below.

You can try updating Intel Integrated Sensor Solution Driver and check if that helps.

Update the Intel Integrated Sensor Solution Driver from this link. Click Here

Also, You can update other drivers on the PC using HP support assistant.

Refer this article to know more information about using HP support assistant.

Also, try changing few settings: 

Open Settings App and go to System > Display.
Find Orientation and choose Portrait from the menu.
Your device should automatically switch to portrait mode.

Go to Control Panel> Display>Change Display Settings and then make sure that the "Allow the screen to auto-rotate" is selected

Also, Uninstall the Device from Device Manager

Open Device Manager
Expand the Display Adapter section.
Find the Display card Driver.
Right-click Display card Driver and select Uninstall.
Select the checkbox to delete the driver software for this device.
Reboot the computer after uninstall process has finished.

Lastly, Change LastOrientation registry value.

If you have problems with Rotation Lock and if the rotation isn’t working on your device, you might have to change some registry values. To do that, follow these steps:

Press Windows Key + R and type regedit. Press Enter or click OK.
When Registry Editor opens, you need to navigate to the following key in the left pane:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionAutoRotation
In the right pane, find LastOrientation and double-click it.
In Value data box enter 0 and click OK to save changes.
If you see SensorPresent DWORD available, double-click it and make sure that its value is set to 1.

Refer this article to know more information about Switching Between Tablet Mode and Desktop Mode. Click Here

Let me know if this works!

Have a great day! 🙂

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

Click the “Kudos, Thumbs Up" on the bottom right to say “Thanks” for helping!

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

thanks for answering! The product number is: 2PS92EA#ABD.

I ran the installer for the Intel Integrated sensor driver that you linked to: it asked if I want to downgrade the driver, I did. Restarted. Didn't help. I then noticed that under "Sensors" it still showed the Microsoft driver. I changed it manually to the Intel version (with the "Let me pick from a list" option), but it still it doesn't work 😕

Also tried the other ideas :in the Registry AutoRotation Enable is set to 1, SensorPresent is also set to 1 and LastOrientation to 0. These didn't help either.

Wonder what else I could still try..

HP Recommended

Hi @luckbox,

Thanks for writing back to us.

Try updating the updated Intel integrated sensor driver using this link. Click Here

Also, update the BIOS on the PC to the latest version. Click Here

Let me know if this helps!

Take Care! 

Please click “Accept as Solution” if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi!

Updating the BIOS fixed it (in combination with the newest Intel Integrated Sensor drivers), thank you! This was unexpected, as the BIOS revision history didn't mention anything about the tablet mode.

HP Recommended

Well it turns out it was too early to celebrate. The same issue is back again. So I have the newest BIOS update installed and all the other updates.

Couple of things to note: If in the registry i set AutoRotation Enable to 1 it will go to 0 when I reboot (in either state the PC won't enter tablet mode however). The other registry settings stay as they are (as described above).

In Device Manager under Sensors it shows 4 instances of the following device:

screenshot driver.png

Is this the correct driver or should it show a driver by Intel? I have ran the Intel installer again and again. Hope someone who has this thing working could check what driver they have for their sensors!

HP Recommended

Hi! 

The drivers listed in the device manager seems to be valid.

However, Please try the steps recommended below and check if it helps.

Fold the computer into tablet mode.
Swipe in from the right side to open the Action Center.
Tap Rotation lock to enable this feature.

If the issue still persists after trying out the steps try performing a system reset on the PC.

Refer this article to know more information about performing a system reset. Click Here

Hope this helps!

Take Care! 

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi again,

Rotation Lock in the Action Center is greyed out so I cannot click it.

What type of system reset do you mean, returning Windows to the state the laptop was delivered in? This is not really a solution as then the problem will likely reappear once I do all the Windows and driver updates as well as upgrade to Windows 10 Pro, in the same way as it happened the first ime. Also, reinstallling all my applications and setting up everything the way I like it would take many hours which I will only do if I can bill these hours to HP 😉

Hope there are more ideas how to fix this still, thank you!

HP Recommended

Hi! @luckbox,

Thanks for writing back to us. But it sounds like an operating system issue, so performing a system reset would solve the issue.

Also, as the action center is greyed out try the steps recommended below.

Rename Usrclass.dat File
1. Press Win key+ R and put %localappdata%\Microsoft\Windows in Run dialog box, click OK.
2. In Windows folder so open now, scroll down and look for UsrClass.dat file. Rename it to UsrClass.old.dat.

Once you renamed the file, the problem may solve after a reboot.

Hope to hear from you soon!

Take Care! 

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi,

I tried renaming UsrClass.dat but it says the file is in use by the System.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.